Motherboard won't turn off... Turns on automatically when powered- dead?

Hi guys,
I recently bought a motherboard/cpu from another member here. Even before it came and right after I send the payment, he changes his post to "no refunds" and explicitly tells me in a PM as-is right after I send the money. Hmmm... (I'm not going to point him out, nor file any disputes as it was cheap enough to not care)

So I don't get to test it until my PCI-E video card came in yesterday, figured no point since there isn't onboard video, and I plug it in, voila- nothing. The motherboard's green light, and all the fans (northbridge, and CPU) comes on automatically when the power supply is plugged in. It won't turn off even if I hold the power button. It will do this even without the video card, ram, so it can't be a component problem. I thought it might be the 650W enermax PSU, since I haven't used it in a while so I bought a brand new thermaltake today and it did the same thing- rules that out.

Motherboard is Asus A8N5X with a 3700.

Any clues?

only thing I can think of is the wiring from the front power panel on the case to the board. Check that out, see if you wired it correctly. Other than that is there any other problems?

Bump for you -

I sold him the board. It worked when I shiped it out, I tested both the CPU and the Mobo together.

Here's my policy I had listed on the for sale thread way before you PMed me about buying it so please don't make me out to be a thief when I CLEARLY stated that I test it before it goes out, if it works I send it, if not then I don't. If the box is damaged then don't accept it.
Policy:

-No Refunds - I ship everything out in 100% working condition (unless noted otherwise). Everything gets tested before I ship. I don't give refunds because there is no way to tell if you damaged it when you got it. If the package is beat up when delivered DO NOT ACCEPT IT.

-All prices listed above DO NOT have shipping included.

-Those prices aren't set in stone. Feel free to make an offer, i'm sure we can work something out.

-I ship to US/Canada only.

-I accept Money orders and Non-CC Paypal.

-I ship within 24 hours of payment"

The only thing I edited (and I think i did this before he bought) was the last one(Ship within 24 hours).

In my defense, I have nearly 900 posts/9 months on the forums and I wouldn't risk that just to make a few bucks (Was it $50?).

Now back to the topic. As I asked in my PM was the box beat up?

Also, is it possible that the first PSU fried it?

Are there any capaciters or anything missing?

What did Asus say when you asked them about this?

Good luck with your troubles. I'll be checking up on this and trying to help you out.

P.S.

Try to keep your slander about me to a minimum please. Thanks and good luck.

i never slandered you, as I didn't even include your name or pointed you out, and i even said i wouldn't do anything as it was too little to care. I doubt the PSU fried the board, as i used 3 different PSU's, 650w enermax, 500W thermaltake, and a 480w antec which all worked on my roomates board.

Call Asus and see if it still under warranty. If it is, send it in to them and they will fix whatever is wrong with it. As long as it has a sticker with the SN on it ure OK.

Nowhere in your post did you mention a fresh install of the OS. I would set my BIOS to default and do a fresh install of your OS. XP was known to show these symptoms when moved from one board to another.

Luck;)

Make sure your hard drive isn't dying. It's far-fetched but I had a Raptor 150 that caused my computer to not power off properly. I'd click "shut down" and leave the room, only to find my parents asking me why my computer was still on. I would go click "shut down" again, and lo and behold: 30 seconds later the fans spun up and the bloody thing turned itself back on! Took out the Raptor and the problem went away. Also the data on the drive became corrupted.

Hi guys,
I recently bought a motherboard/cpu from another member here. Even before it came and right after I send the payment, he changes his post to "no refunds" and explicitly tells me in a PM as-is right after I send the money. Hmmm... (I'm not going to point him out, nor file any disputes as it was cheap enough to not care)

So I don't get to test it until my PCI-E video card came in yesterday, figured no point since there isn't onboard video, and I plug it in, voila- nothing. The motherboard's green light, and all the fans (northbridge, and CPU) comes on automatically when the power supply is plugged in. It won't turn off even if I hold the power button. It will do this even without the video card, ram, so it can't be a component problem. I thought it might be the 650W enermax PSU, since I haven't used it in a while so I bought a brand new thermaltake today and it did the same thing- rules that out.

Motherboard is Asus A8N5X with a 3700.

Any clues?
Clear the CMOS, it could have gotten scrambled during shipping.

Does the board behave the same with the memory removed? (if so check the processor)
Did you remove and reseat the processor. (is the processor and memory you are using supported by the motherboard?)
Check your power wiring and peripherals, if possible try just the motherboard, processor and memory, (a video card may be needed, I typically keep an old but good PCI video card around for this)

Check your case for stuff shorting out to the board.

Back