backwardsK126
n00b
- Joined
- Sep 22, 2008
- Messages
- 37
Hi all,
Today, my computer was working fine and I put it to sleep and went out for a couple hours. When I came back it was off and wouldnt turn back on. At first I thought the motherboard was fried (i removed the power supply plug and the power source plug and replugged them and it still didnt work).
Then I took out the motherboard battery for about a minute and put it back in. Now at least the motherboard lights light up when I plug it into the power supply, but as soon as I plug it into the power supply, the lights on the computer light up and the fans spin for about half a second and then it turns off again...it does this every 10 seconds or so but never turns on. Also nothing happens when I press the power button (on the motherboard or on the case, and I have cleared the CMOS)
Then I thought it was a problem with the RAM (I have 3x2GB of DDR3 RAM). So I took the RAM out and tried each stick individually, but still no luck, so I don't think its the RAM.
Some other things to note: In order to get to the battery I had to take out the graphics card, could something have happened to it when I reseated the card? (my guess is no but you never know). Also, is it possible that there is a problem with the CPU? (i7 920) Or is it just a faulty motherboard that needs to be returned?
Please, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
backwardsK
UPDATE: When I unplug the power supply from the processor, the fans and lights stay on and running, so it shows more activity than it does when the power supply plug is in. Does this mean that it is an issue with the processor, or does that normally happen when there is no power to the processor? And should I try to reseat the processor?
Today, my computer was working fine and I put it to sleep and went out for a couple hours. When I came back it was off and wouldnt turn back on. At first I thought the motherboard was fried (i removed the power supply plug and the power source plug and replugged them and it still didnt work).
Then I took out the motherboard battery for about a minute and put it back in. Now at least the motherboard lights light up when I plug it into the power supply, but as soon as I plug it into the power supply, the lights on the computer light up and the fans spin for about half a second and then it turns off again...it does this every 10 seconds or so but never turns on. Also nothing happens when I press the power button (on the motherboard or on the case, and I have cleared the CMOS)
Then I thought it was a problem with the RAM (I have 3x2GB of DDR3 RAM). So I took the RAM out and tried each stick individually, but still no luck, so I don't think its the RAM.
Some other things to note: In order to get to the battery I had to take out the graphics card, could something have happened to it when I reseated the card? (my guess is no but you never know). Also, is it possible that there is a problem with the CPU? (i7 920) Or is it just a faulty motherboard that needs to be returned?
Please, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
backwardsK
UPDATE: When I unplug the power supply from the processor, the fans and lights stay on and running, so it shows more activity than it does when the power supply plug is in. Does this mean that it is an issue with the processor, or does that normally happen when there is no power to the processor? And should I try to reseat the processor?
Last edited: