Motherboard with Server 2022 support

ochadd

[H]ard|Gawd
Considering upgrades for my home server and can't find a good solution that supports Windows Server 2022. Supermicro says their X12 line of boards are compatible but there are no drivers available for download. Ideally I'd get at least four Sata ports and two m.2 NVME slots. A x16 pcie 3 slot that can do bifurcation would be fine as those add in cards are reasonably priced. Most modern desktop boards provide the needed features but have found zero that list Server 2022 support. I think I'm willing to give up ECC if I can find a desktop board that otherwise checks the other boxes. Any recommendations?

Server 2022 and win 10 support should be near identical regarding driver support.

Every board I tried for 2022 server worked great even going back to older hardware

There is no difference between Server and Desktop OS drivers in most cases. Use Windows 10/11 drivers if available. Server 2022 has great hardware driver support. One of my older file servers is running on a P45 chipset motherboard and Core2Quad CPU. Server 2022 runs great. Drivers going all the way back to Vista (64-bit) should work fine in most cases so that is 15+ years worth of drivers, but chances are that Windows Update will take care of most of your drivers just fine.

There is no difference between Server and Desktop OS drivers in most cases. Use Windows 10/11 drivers if available. Server 2022 has great hardware driver support. One of my older file servers is running on a P45 chipset motherboard and Core2Quad CPU. Server 2022 runs great. Drivers going all the way back to Vista (64-bit) should work fine in most cases so that is 15+ years worth of drivers, but chances are that Windows Update will take care of most of your drivers just fine.
With that said there are a few annoying pieces of software that feel so obligated to check and declare that a server os isn't supported. Easy enough to just manually install the drivers tho.

Nvidia GPU drivers are like this I believe.

Back