Motherboard upgrade.

Syrnix

Limp Gawd
I am thinking about upgrading my computer. My current setup is AMD 3700 socket 939 in a DFI nf4 ultra motherboard, 2 GB PC3200, Win XP Pro SP2. I use my computer for Recording music and gaming mostly.

I am thinking about a board with socket AM2 something under $100, Asus, ABIT, DFI or is there another board with a NVIDIA chipset that is better. For a processor I am looking at an AMD X2.

My big question is can I use my current memory OCZ PC3200 or do I have to get new memory. I have to have 2 GB and money is tight. Also do I have to reformat my hard drive if I get a NVIDIA chipset? I do not want to have to reformat my hard.

Hey bro, unfortunately you will have to upgrade to DDR2 if you want to use a AM2 motherboard.

Yes... The NF5 and NF4 are different and since its a different MB windows will freak..
Besides its best to have a clean install when doing an over haul..

As far as board and CPU...

I ordered a Biostar T-Force 550 and an x3600 Brisbane AM2 set up...
For the price you cant beat it... If you do not need SLI its a nice board with its cons...
The biggest is the ATX header for power and its location... I am building two more with my wife for her grandparents.... (thats a funny story in its own).

My Brisy is stable at 2.5 but i think memory or voltage is holding me back since i had it up to 2.85 but some stress issues.. and the asus is over volting the CPU...

the board i am looking at is a NF4 and i currently have a NF4 socket 939 DFI board. will i have to reformat if i stay with NF4

if you are still using the same chipset you may be fine by just using sysprep when you swap mobos. however, you are less likely to run into headaches if you just reformat your new build regardless if its the same chipset.

i have tons of music recording software on my computer that i don't want to reinstall and have to reconfigure. thats why i don't want to reformat it would be a huge pain to do so.

were can i get one newegg is sold out and most of the other places i have looked don't even have them listed. none of the local stoles carry any socket 939 chips.

Odd, they seemed to have several options when I looked. I have heard good things about this processor, and there are several cheaper ones there as well.

what is the differance between the Opteron and the X2. The Opteron is not listed as compatiable with my motherboard only the athlon 64, X2 and FX chips. my board is a DFI NF4 ultra

An Opty has better memory mechanics internally. The ultra will work with an Opty... Had the SLI version and there really is not anything different... Opty also has more onboard cache then the X2....

Opty: 2x 1mb
X2: 2x 512kb

Back