Motherboard Standoffs / Mounting Problem

qfour20

Limp Gawd
Hello one and all.

I've been trying to build up my new HTPC, and ran into a MAJOR snag last night. I purchased an nMediaPC case (mAtx) to build up my system, and all the parts came in last night. I began in earnest to mount the motherboard.

I put the IO shield in the case and plopped the mobo down into the case. Opened up the baggie of screws and pulled out what I assumed to be a standard "case screw" to secure the motherboard to the standoffs. I tightened the screw to "hand tight" and threaded up another screw. This was when I noticed that the motherboard was bending in an odd way. I thought that I must have had something caught under the board or something stupid, so I tried to take out the screw that I just put in. As I was reversing the screw, I heard some "clicking" noise and noticed that the screw WAS NOT COMING OUT.

Then I tried the other screw (first one I put in) and it did the same. Out came the needle nose pliers and I tried pulling up on the screws while turning counterclockwise. This did nothing but increase my frustration. I tried getting a small flathead screwdriver and wedging it underneath the head of the screw while turning it to try to force the screw out, but I managed to pop off one of the ittybitty resistors from the motherboard. :mad:

I *think* I can get the resistor soldered back into place, but I'm really wondering what the best way of getting these two screws out will be. I'm thinking that what will end up happening is that I'll cover the motherboard with seran wrap and poke a hole for the screw, then take my drill and drill out the two screws so I can get the board out.

Then I'm going to replace the stupid standoffs that nMedia put in this case with ones that will accecpt standard case screws.

Anyone else had this issue with this case (or any other case)? The screws were not cross threaded (that I could tell) when I screwed them in.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks [H] readers.

-q

Back