Motherboard Standoff Clips

brett89

n00b
Hello HardForum,

I'm doing a mild casemod to an old Dell XPS Pro200n, It uses a tensioned folded piece of metal with threading in it to act as a standoff for the motherboard rather than the typical brass threaded ones. Does anyone know where I could find some of these? I'd love to replace them but the motherboard tray as a hole at each location I'd need to thread a new standoff into. I don't have exact measurements at this time for height and mounting width. The case has enough clips to support 2/3 of the motherboard and the RAM is off in cantilever land which is fine until I want to insert or remove RAM.

onUFrnd.jpg

Thanks for your time!

They're usually called 'clips' but they're tougher to find than other options.

An option: Use a brass standoff, slip a washer or two onto the bottom that's big enough to not go through the hole in the case, and then loc-tite a nut onto it, to keep it from coming off. It won't be 'secured' to the case, but it should work for board support.

They're usually called 'clips' but they're tougher to find than other options.

An option: Use a brass standoff, slip a washer or two onto the bottom that's big enough to not go through the hole in the case, and then loc-tite a nut onto it, to keep it from coming off. It won't be 'secured' to the case, but it should work for board support.

That has been my backup plan, just use enough washers to make it roughly level and score the threading so it can't back out, or at least with a standard mobo screw
my googlefu is failing on these :( if you really want those i'd check local mom & pop shops or get something like these:
https://www.newark.com/duratool/dtr...9?MER=bn_level5_5NP_EngagementRecSingleItem_4
but as mentioned, you need to measure the height.

Interesting suggestion, I'll have to look at that further. But I did try Google before coming here and came up with zilch other than they vary.

I will probably get the mm ruler out and measure some stuff then give mcmaster carr some money in exchange for goods.

That's basically what I've sets my mind to as well.I'll just need to get some washers large enough to cover the square voids.

yep just mount all the standoffs you need and put in the case line up the io shield and nut it.

Back