Motherboard selection for 2600x secondary build & ram choice

arnemetis

2[H]4U
Hi All,

Wasn't sure to post this here or in the Amd forum, but the motherboard choice is the most difficult part of this. Looking to upgrade the secondary pc that gets less use by the gf, but she's been getting more into some games with me. I have an rx 580 4gb coming from the forum, and this will be a 1080p gamer. I've settled on the 2600x, but I'm overwhelmed with the choices due to the fact that the x370 and b-350 chipsets support it along with the newer ones. I can make a run to Microcenter if it's worth my while, the bundle discount might be worth the tax & driving cost. I also have an interesting ram conundrum I'll address after.

First up, I don't need much for bells & whistles on the motherboard, I do not plan on doing any overclocking with the cpu or ram. In other threads I've seen the Msi pro carbon mentioned, but it never clarifies if the x370 or x470 is the one to get now. MC has the x370 one for $144. I really want to avoid sketchy vrms or issues, even if it's a bit overkill for this use case, and it seems like the budget am4 boards are pretty hit and miss. Case can handle full atx, no need for itx or anything. No need of wifi or bluetooth either. I plan on this build lasting 3+ years, not planning on upgrading the cpu during that time so future compatibility doesn't matter. MC also has the Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING which looks like just a slightly lesser Gigabyte X470 AORUS Gaming 5 WiFi, but it has awful reviews at newegg with lots of issues or deaths, but I don't need the wifi so it seems like a waste. Again, overwhelmed.

Second up is the ram. Easy answer is to get 16gb of 3200mhz cl14, but I have a potential better use for that. My file / Plex server is using 2400mhz cl16 ram with its 1700x and Asus Prime X370-Pro. This gets regular use and is a bit of a workhorse, and is usually using 8-10gb of its ram. What I'm wondering is, really which system would benefit from the higher speed ram? I don't want to seriously hamstring the 2600x, but if it's going to go to better use in the workhorse machine then I'd rather do that. I don't understand the impacts of the higher speed enough for real world applications. I'm not going to ditch the set I have, I got it last August when I built the 1700x rig because the server died and it needed replacement asap, even knowing it wasn't the fastest but I didn't think it would make a sizable difference. I'm leaning toward the server getting the faster ram, but I'd love some input.

Thanks for reading, sorry if I didn't break it up enough. I'll try to reply regularly.

Haven't gotten any replies, but I am looking at the combo of the Gigabyte X470 AORUS Gaming 5 & 2600 (decided the x wasn't worth the extra $40) for $300 including tax, and there's a $20 rebate too that could shoot the cost down further if it comes through. I decided to narrow my results to the mobo & cpu combos MC offers, as they don't actually give that $30 off for just any mobo. The ram at MC is too expensive, so I'll probably pick that up from newegg for $198 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232217 Still quite open to opinions on the matter!

Last edited:
For motherboards, if you're not planning to overclock, the MSI B350 or B450 tomahawk are good choices. If you do get the B350, just make sure it is Ryzen 2 ready. The B450 Tomahawk has better heatsinks on the board. If you want to spend a bit more, techspot recommended the best board under $170 would be the MSI B450 gaming pro carbon AC, from all the reviews i've seen, i'd agree with that and it's only $130. As far as RAM speed goes, I don't know anything about the plex server so I don't know if RAM impacts it, but for gaming purposes, DDR4-3200 is the sweet spot.

For motherboards, if you're not planning to overclock, the MSI B350 or B450 tomahawk are good choices. If you do get the B350, just make sure it is Ryzen 2 ready. The B450 Tomahawk has better heatsinks on the board. If you want to spend a bit more, techspot recommended the best board under $170 would be the MSI B450 gaming pro carbon AC, from all the reviews i've seen, i'd agree with that and it's only $130. As far as RAM speed goes, I don't know anything about the plex server so I don't know if RAM impacts it, but for gaming purposes, DDR4-3200 is the sweet spot.
Thanks for the reply! Checking newegg real quick, the B450 Tomahawk + 2600 combo is $284, which would match it pretty evenly with the microcenter deal assuming the rebate comes in. The MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC is $20 more, which puts it at pre-rebate Microcenter prices. Sure would be nice to skip a few hours in the car and gas! Do you think the carbon pro is better than the gigabyte board? Looks pretty solid to me, and I agree I've seen good things about it.

Last edited:
Things went out of stock anyway, so no reasonable newegg combos now! It's out of stock at b&h too. The MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC is $100 at mc, even without the $30 combo it works out to be much more affordable there. So I'm looking at $265 for the mobo and 2600 cpu at MC including tax. Might end up taking the trip tomorrow anyway. Still open to last minute mobo suggestions, and still open to opinions on the ram!

Just closing up the thread to say I bought the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC with the 2600 at micro center, and after unanimous comments over i nthe amd forum I'll be keeping the new ram in the gaming machine, and leaving the server alone. Thanks for the comments leading me down the right path dennisjai!

Back