Motherboard replacement

biru32

Limp Gawd
How difficult is it these days to replace the motherboard? Is everything "snapped" into place with screws etc? Or will I need degree to do this?

Thanks again!

In terms of physically replacing the motherboard, it's not hard at all. Basically, remove all the components you're gonna keep from the old mobo, unscrew the old mobo, put in the new one, then put all the components back in.

As far as getting it set up with software, etc., it's a bit more complicated. Some people suggest that you do a clean install of Windows when you upgrade the motherboard. Others say you just need to do a repair install. Then others will just replace the mobo without making any software changes.

As for me, I do at least a repair install to prevent and hardware conflicts and such.

tgxiii said:
In terms of physically replacing the motherboard, it's not hard at all. Basically, remove all the components you're gonna keep from the old mobo, unscrew the old mobo, put in the new one, then put all the components back in.

As far as getting it set up with software, etc., it's a bit more complicated. Some people suggest that you do a clean install of Windows when you upgrade the motherboard. Others say you just need to do a repair install. Then others will just replace the mobo without making any software changes.

As for me, I do at least a repair install to prevent and hardware conflicts and such.

So when I replace the mobo the OS should boot just fine in order for me to perform a repair function correct?

Thanks.

AFAIK the repair function is for Windows XP and 2003. Boot with the CD, then proceed to install Windows. It will tell you that there is already a Windows installed in your hard drive and it will ask if you want to repair it or not. Sorry, I haven't done this in a while and it's all vague to me.

tgxiii said:
AFAIK the repair function is for Windows XP and 2003. Boot with the CD, then proceed to install Windows. It will tell you that there is already a Windows installed in your hard drive and it will ask if you want to repair it or not. Sorry, I haven't done this in a while and it's all vague to me.

Does this sound like a type of motherboard to you? Gamila2-GL6E

Thanks again!

Back