Motherboard RAID on AMD chipsets.

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
Has anyone been running RAID1 on motherboard RAID on AMD chipsets? What happens when a drive fails? Can you replace a drive and rebuild like a server does or do you have to dissolve the RAID and start over?

Yes, I built my brother a computer last year, A10 system with raid1. The chip AMD uses is promise.
You install the browser based GUI raidxpert that you access online that shows you all your information just like MSU that Marvell has.

You set up your email so if a drive fails it will email telling you so. If you have a hot spare it will auto build.

With raid1 you do not have to dissolve the array, raid0 certainly if one fails.

http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/AMD_RAIDXpert_User_v2.1.pdf

Last edited:
This is going to be for a VMware build. Can this type of work be done during POST?

ive been using it for years. I usually set it up in the bios and walk away. So yes, definitely during post.

I set mine up in bios beforehand even though it would appear like RST you can do it after your OS but safer to set it up and forget it.
You will need the raidxpert program installed so you can check up on them, do media patrol, etc.

You don't need the raidxpert program. Every time I've used it, its dragged my system down. Popping into the bios from time to time is fine for me.

Yes you can do it from the BIOS menus. I had the OS drive on my server fail and it just kept on flying like nothing was wrong, booted correctly and everything even with one drive dead.

Replaced it and it refilled with data and everything is peachy.

I like to use the onboard RAID1 on all my servers for just this reason. I find 2 x 2.5" drives work great for OS drives and take up the same amount of space as a 3.5" vertically.

I suppose you don't have to use raidxpert but I did not find it bogged down the system at all.
If you want any real time indication there is a problem then you need it, otherwise you would have to reboot to get into bios to check.
Not as practical for servers that run 24/7.

Has anyone had any experiance where the a drive fails in the RAID1 and how the ati/amd chipset handles it?

Back