• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

motherboard raid controller to external drives?

rosss

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
126
I have the EVGA x58 SLI motherboard (first edition, not the Classified LE) and I'm running Windows 7. The motherboard and OS may not be necessary to answer this question
.
I know that you can configure the motherboard raid controller for multiple internal hard drives, but I was wondering if you could use the mobo raid controller with multiple external drives.

I was thinking EVGA x58 SLI connected to two WD 1TB my book external drives?

Yes, Western Digital sells a dual-drive RAID product but I was under the impression that the "raid controller" would be software only, and thus inferior to a hardware controller?

Any help for a raid newbie?
 
The mobo raid controller is going to be a software controller. For RAID0 and 1, mirroring or striping it's not a big deal, software controllers that use your CPU are plenty fast and don't really noticeably impact system performance. It's when you step up to RAID5 with all the parity calculations and extra overhead.

My Vantec external eSATA enclosures came with some brackets that you can easily route internal SATA to eSATA PCI brackets. You can probably google around some some similar third party generic ones. e.g.: http://www.google.com/products?q=es...ent=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf
 
Back
Top