Motherboard or CPU issue?

** As documented in the Operating System forum as well, tech question here **

System specs in signature.

This morning, I came into my office to see my PC running, but unable to be awakened by USB. This is usually a sign that there was a dreaded Windows Update overnight. When this occurs on this system, a hard reset usually does the trick.

Today it didn't. It booted to the Biostar Splash Screen, but never posted. Several reset attempts later, still alternately splash screen or no video to monitor.

I resigned myself to a CMOS reset to see if that would help. Now the PC starts (fans and such), but no system beep or video out.

I pulled it all apart and re-seated everything... Nothing.

System has worked for months w/ this configuration and wasn't overclocked at all for the last few months.

So, would you folks see this as a motherboard failure, or does it sound like a CPU issue?

Any input is appreciated as I am about to make the lengthy pilgrimage to Micro Center to buy a replacement board unless I hear otherwise.

Last edited:
Sounds like your motherboard bit the dust. You can make sure by disconnecting everything but the boot drive. CPU failure's are hard to come by but if you have a spare laying around, it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the input. New motherboard confirmed that it was indeed the motherboard.

Now my only issue is that when I boot windows, it immediately BSOD's.

Going to try startup repair a couple more times. If it persists, a fresh install will be had.

You could go into safe mode and go into device manager and delete most everything motherboard/chipset related then boot back into windows normally and it should redetect everything. Also go into the bios and see if you can reset pnp information.

Safe Mode wouldn't work. Y'know what though that very first install was on a too small partition anyway.

I don't mind doing the fresh install that much. Just gets a little tedious.

Back