Motherboard not giving gigabit speeds

steven1110

Limp Gawd
I'm having trouble getting my motherboard's LAN to connect at gigabit speeds to my system. It's a Biostar TA75M+ motherboard in my living room HTPC and I'm only getting it to connect at 100mbps to my server. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138330

In task manager, networking is showing 100Mbps at the htpc and 1000 at the server. I've installed the latest driver on biostar's website and also have tried forcing the adaptor to be full duplex 1Gbps in device manager. When I force it to gigabit, it'll still connect to the internet and the server but still only at 100Mbps speeds.

I'm at a loss here. Any helps would be appreciated. Thanks!

Check your ethernet cable as well I found some of the ones I have will not allow gigabit and others do.

It is currently going through a trendnet 5-port gigabit switch. However, I've bypassed it and gone straight to the server with the same end result.

I do plan on checking the cable soon. I have some bare cat6 laying around that just needs connector ends. However, I've used the same cable with a previous setup. I swapped out components about 5 months ago to make use of the new Llano chips. I bet ever since I did the swap, I've only gotten 100mbps speeds. The previous setup was able to connect at gigabit speeds with the same cable.

The only components that have changed during this time are the htpc components, switch, and an add-in pci LAN card in the server.

Ok, so I'm able to get gigabit by running cat6 cable to the server. Is there any reason why the previous motherboard would supply gigabit via cat5e and this one will only give it using cat6?

Try going into the Ethernet connections properties and manually set the transimission speed from Auto to 1000mbit. Also try different driver versions

Ok, so I'm able to get gigabit by running cat6 cable to the server. Is there any reason why the previous motherboard would supply gigabit via cat5e and this one will only give it using cat6?

Crimp some new ends on your Cat5e cable and try again.

I swapped out components about 5 months ago to make use of the new Llano chips. I bet ever since I did the swap, I've only gotten 100mbps speeds.

You are probably right, but if you want to see if you have ever connected at gigabit with the old cable on the new htpc, you can check eventvwr, most NIC's will normally log each time they are connected and at what speed (and sometimes duplex). Could confirm if something happened to the cable, or if just the new NIC (on HTPC) is more sensitive/shit.

Back