• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Motherboard Nightmare

Mart00n

n00b
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
9
So I finally got my ASUS Z87-PRO yesterday and started to build my new Haswell PC. A friend of mine with a good deal of experience came to help out, and we tried an external build and kept receiving memory errors. After swapping RAM out we found out that my second memory slot was the problem, and decided I had to return the board.

And now for the nightmare...

After removing the CPU and memory I started to put away components, and my friend takes the plastic CPU socket cover, places it underneath the bracket for the CPU, and lowers the tensioner, bending and wrecking a number of pins in the CPU socket. I have no idea what to do at this point; I can try to send the board back to ASUS for the memory slot, but I have a feeling they're going to notice the CPU socket is damaged. Will I be charged something for a repair of the socket if I return it complaining about the memory slot, or will they not even replace the board at all with the physical damage and I'm out $200? We tried to bend the pins back into place but it still isn't pretty. Do I even want the board if they're going to perform surgery and replace the socket on an already defective product?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
File it as a learning lesson and bitch out your friend, and get ready to order a new board. And you're more than likely going to be charged $100-150 for a new CPU socket via RMA. If he's a friend he'll help pay for what hardware he wrecked.
 
Unfortunately, your warranty is void.
Asus will not cover bent pins in the CPU socket, even if it arrives like that from new.
Been there, failed to get assistance.
 
Crap happens.
If he shows goodwill to pay for part of it, he's ok.
Those pins are an accident waiting to happen.
 
Whip out your magnifying glass and toothpick or fine mechanical pencil and get to work straightening the pins. If you can make it presentable and bootable, see what ASUS has to say about fixing the memory. Or just see if you can sell the board for maybe half what you paid for it. There's people who buy electronic fixer-uppers.
 
Hello, My name is Jeffrey and I work for the customer loyalty team.

Let me get that information on how much it would cost for you to send the board in for service. You can also PM me if I need more confidential information.
 
Back
Top