Hi it's me again, the guy with the stubbornly hot Q6600. I decided to try overclocking my CPU since it's pretty much the last model I'll get on this motherboard and I want to make the best of it.
I have an Asus P5B-VM SE mobo and I changed the FSB without touching voltage(I don't even think the motherboard lets me touch CPU voltage, only RAM) and yanked it up from 266 to 300 bringing the CPU from 2.4 up to 2.7. After 10 hours of prime95 all was smooth. However, when I checked the onboard LAN, which I use to share internet to another machine, I noticed the traffic going in and out was severely garbled. I then lowered the FSB to 289, bringing the CPU down to 2.6, and managed to load webpages but about 1/4 the time the pages loaded very incompletely. Again I lowered the FSB to 278, bringing the CPU down to 2.5, and now everything seems to be fine, but I'm upset.
Can I change any BIOS settings to make the LAN handle the OC better without buying a separate adapter? I haven't touched anything other than the FSB. I didn't change PCIe frequency or spread spectrum.
I have an Asus P5B-VM SE mobo and I changed the FSB without touching voltage(I don't even think the motherboard lets me touch CPU voltage, only RAM) and yanked it up from 266 to 300 bringing the CPU from 2.4 up to 2.7. After 10 hours of prime95 all was smooth. However, when I checked the onboard LAN, which I use to share internet to another machine, I noticed the traffic going in and out was severely garbled. I then lowered the FSB to 289, bringing the CPU down to 2.6, and managed to load webpages but about 1/4 the time the pages loaded very incompletely. Again I lowered the FSB to 278, bringing the CPU down to 2.5, and now everything seems to be fine, but I'm upset.
Can I change any BIOS settings to make the LAN handle the OC better without buying a separate adapter? I haven't touched anything other than the FSB. I didn't change PCIe frequency or spread spectrum.
Last edited: