Hey all. Long time poster from a ways back, and it seems my account got deleted for inactivity (or I'm not remembering the username correctly!) and I had a quick question.
I have an older PC that stopped turning on the other day, and I cracked it open expecting to find that the power supply died. The power supply turned out to be fine (shorted the green and black to get it running, then tested all the voltages with a multimeter). When the power supply is plugged in to the motherboard, the LED on the motherboard even lights up correctly.
Hitting the power button does nothing at all, and I even tried shorting the two connections for the power switch in case something happened to that and it was faulty.
My question here is: Is the most likely culprit the motherboard? I would assume if the ram was bad (i dont have an extra stick that old) the computer would at least turn on before erroring, but with a bad CPU would it? I'm thinking motherboard, but I wanted to confirm before ordering new parts for it.
Thank you very much in advance!
I have an older PC that stopped turning on the other day, and I cracked it open expecting to find that the power supply died. The power supply turned out to be fine (shorted the green and black to get it running, then tested all the voltages with a multimeter). When the power supply is plugged in to the motherboard, the LED on the motherboard even lights up correctly.
Hitting the power button does nothing at all, and I even tried shorting the two connections for the power switch in case something happened to that and it was faulty.
My question here is: Is the most likely culprit the motherboard? I would assume if the ram was bad (i dont have an extra stick that old) the computer would at least turn on before erroring, but with a bad CPU would it? I'm thinking motherboard, but I wanted to confirm before ordering new parts for it.
Thank you very much in advance!