Motherboard installation question......

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
Howdy.....

Ive just recently finished ordering EVERYTHING for my new computer. Its my first build. Ive installed upgraded V.cards and changed out HD's and disc drives before, but ive never done a complete install of a EVERY part of a new computer before.

Ive been reading everything I can and have read the mobo manual manyyyy times. Some people install the mobo into the case FIRST and then install the CPU and heatsink and everything else afterwards....and then, some people install the CPU and heatsink/fan along with the RAM and maybe the video card before they put the mobo into the case....

I was going to install the CPU and heatsink/fan onto the mobo first and then put mobo into case....however, I was wondering....

Obviously, I will have to set the mobo down somewhere so I can install the CPU and heatsink/fan......Ummm,,,,where would I set the mobo down at that wouldnt hurt it or bend any of the connections?

I was thinking of using the foam its on now that came with the mobo in its electrostatic bag,,,taking it out of the bag (obviously) but leaving the foam and laying it down on a towel which is layed down on the table.

What do you guys use.....ie....how do you do it?

Should I install the mobo into case first?

What are your thoughts?

You are making a lot harder then it really is, probably because it is just your first time. You are right everybody has a different way of mounting them so just figure out what sounds good and go with it.

I personally like to mount the CPU before it is put in the case, the RAM too but thats not as big a deal as mounting the CPU. I like to take it out of the anti-static bag, AFTER being grounded of course, and just lay the foam below the mobo directly on to a table. From there mount the cpu and heatsink. Then simply lay it into the case and figure out what screws holes line up and screw them in. Now technically you want to get all of them but I have mounted a few motherboards with only a screw or two so do not be paranoid if you miss one ;)

That foam pad that comes with the mobo is plenty to keep everything from bending.

I would not recommend mounting the mobo without all the screws for the simple fact that you can ground your motherboard to the case and create problems. If you have extra mounting studs (and 99% of the time you will not) remove them if you don't have a screw hole to line it up too. If you do this you will have less problems. I repeat DO NOT forget to put all the mobo screws in and DO NOT forget to remove any studs that don't line up to the mobo holes. Good luck and have fun ;)

yea... its not like pushing your cpu into the socket is gonna rip your motherboard in half.... mobos are suprisingly resilliant... one (in a box) took a tumble down two flights of stairs, it was fine.... totally fine..... i think.... (i sold that mobo...)

anywho back to the point. yea its a 30 sec opperation. screw the mobo into the mount, put it on someting, ground yourself (note any plugged in computer case should be grounded, if it meets GE standards), bring out the cpu, place the cpu over the socket and press. to snap that pcb motherboard you need a fair chunk of force, to install a cpu you need a single finger (even a pinky), its not a big deal.

even if your statically charged you gotta understand the charge has no where to go. installing a cpu in an insulated mobo and/or case will not send the charge to it. and if you ground you self first your only gonna be carrying micro amps around with you. keeping in mind a static charge is exactly that. static. meaning its enduced. after a while static dissapears.

Using a towel isn't the best of ideas, motherboard on top of foam>antistatic bag>cardboard>table. Towel could introduce static electricity into the equation.

Thanks for the replies guys :D

So, about this static stuff......

Since this is a totally brand new computer im building, nothing on it will be plugged in...I dont have one of those electrostatic cuffs (was told I didnt need it). Since its not going to be plugged in, I cant use "that" method for grounding you guys were talkin about, right?

I was thinking I could just simply touch my wooden desk or something before I grabbed the mobo or cpu...Is that good enough?

Should I do somthing else?

I was going to use one of those wooden TV trays to use as my workplace for laying out the mobo and cpu etc. Could I simply just touch the table before I touch the mobo?

I was also reading about the NB-fan.....(I hate acronyms I dont know). The only thing I found in the manual "near" what I think this stands for is something called the North Bridge chipset. What is this and is it important to me?

Also, if Its something I do need to plug a fan up to errr plug whatever to,,,,,where is that cable/wire? Does it come with the PSU?

For that matter, what "other" cables does a typical NON OVERCLOCKED mobo/computer with everything needed for gaming require I purchase seperately that doesnt come with the mobo or the PSU?

I will have only ONE HD and ONE DVD drive.....no FDD....

If ya need more info to give me an answer, just let me know :D

Its always good to use a static strap that is properly grounded. Then lay the mobo on the foam pad that ships with it as another member suggested. I like to install the CPU/heatsink and RAM with the board not yet mounted in the case, because with some heatsinks you need access to the underside of the board. The RAM is easier to align and press into place outside the case, and you can plug in the CPU fan. Next you can mount the mobo in the case, the average board uses 9 screws. Don't mount any cards before the board is in the case, that will make it harder to mount the board. After the board is in I like to mount the hard drive as I can see if it will be in the way of the video card, or any other card. then the CD/CDRW, etc. goes in, next the video, sound, ethernet cards go in, hook up the power supply connectors to the board and all devices and finally the case connectors to the mobo. Double check all connections, then the most exciting moment for first timers comes....first boot. :eek: Will it burn or will it churn?? :D

SAW said:
Thanks for the replies guys :D

Since this is a totally brand new computer im building, nothing on it will be plugged in...I dont have one of those electrostatic cuffs (was told I didnt need it). Since its not going to be plugged in, I cant use "that" method for grounding you guys were talkin about, right?
no no, just anyother comp you have laying around, is grounded.
I was thinking I could just simply touch my wooden desk or something before I grabbed the mobo or cpu...Is that good enough?
for a ground? no. wood is an insulator. wont conduct the charge to the ground. and again your sorta over reacting. in flease pants and on a carpet i transplanted a cpu from one mobo to another.
I was going to use one of those wooden TV trays to use as my workplace for laying out the mobo and cpu etc. Could I simply just touch the table before I touch the mobo?
again wood is an insulator
I was also reading about the NB-fan.....(I hate acronyms I dont know). The only thing I found in the manual "near" what I think this stands for is something called the North Bridge chipset. What is this and is it important to me?
NB stands for north bridge. and yes its pretty important, its the main chip of the Nvidia/w/e chipset (ex Nforce 4). it is the bridge that links all your pci/pci-e slots to the processer. so the Northbridge is responsible for getting information back and forth between graphics card and CPU. (note this is why for SLI or Crossfire you need a special northbridge ex NForce 4 SLI). a crappy/nongamer chipset can seriosly knock of points in 3dmark, Nforce 4 and Xpress 3200 offer more then enough performance to get the info between CPU and VGA, however if you were to say, take a 7900GTX and put it on an SIS chipset (like the one in the Xbox 360 :eek:) you would get several hundred less points in 3dmark then a 7900GTX on an Nforce 4 Chipset.

the three main aspects of a computer that need liquid cooling are VGA, CPU, and the Northbridge. (note that Intel and AMD chipsets differ. AMD has onebridge, which makes it both the northbridge and southbridge, where as intel has two, one for periferal component interconnect (PCI - took me along time to find that acronym) and one for everything else (USB, IDE SATA etc)
Also, if Its something I do need to plug a fan up to errr plug whatever to,,,,,where is that cable/wire? Does it come with the PSU?
all your power supply wires should come with Powersupply.
For that matter, what "other" cables does a typical NON OVERCLOCKED mobo/computer with everything needed for gaming require I purchase seperately that doesnt come with the mobo or the PSU?
with stock wires from powersupply you should be fine, if you need something else there like 50 cents from any computer store
[/QUOTE]

Ahhh.....thanks MrWizard6600

You posted while I was askin that other question......so nm about the NB question again :D

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated!!!!!

:D

Back