Motherboard for i5 2500k

I recently acquired a i5 2500k with very minimal use for upgrading. I was looking for some advice on a mobo to get for it. I currently have 16 gb of ddr3 1333 ram to go into it also. I do plan on overclocking the CPU as well. I will most likely go with sli video cards as well. Open to any suggestions and can answer any further questions.

+1 on an Asus z77 based board.

I have a z68 and z77. Since your i5 is 1155 based, you want to go with a z77 platform. Some of the benefits of a z77 over z68 are.. you can use the onboard HD3000 graphics without a vid card. Most bang for your buck... given the sandybridge CPU. If you add a video card, you can even game with it.

These boards are very OC friendly and you will still have one more upgrade cycle if you want... option of stepping up to an ivybridge to further stretch the life of the board. However, I wouldn't bother.

Get a cheaper z77 board. The LE Plus or V are very inexpensive and offer excellent performance. OC to your hearts content. You won't be the fastest guy on the block, but it will hold it's own. Your memory is going to be a bottleneck for OC (at 1333), but you have 16GB so go with it.

Back