• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Motherboard for ESXi server??

Merlinen

n00b
Joined
Feb 10, 2010
Messages
60
Hi.

I am building my new server atm and i need some advice on what motherboard to pick.
Dunno if i am gona go with a SP or a DP board, DP boards is bit expensive and the server have already cost to much and i think i only need 1 CPU :)

These are some of the boards that i have looked at.

SuperMicro X8STE ~300€
Intel S5520HC ~430€
Asus Z8NR-D12 ~360€
SuperMicro X8DTE-F-O ~395€



I am gona run about 3-5 2k8 R2 server's and 1-2 ubuntu server, all with very litel load on them.

The hardware that i have and that is on the way are these:

CPU : 1x Intel Xeon E5620 (on the way)
Memory : 3x 4GB DDR3 ECC REG 1333MHz DR x4 (on the way)
Raid card : Areca 1680x (at home)
Expander : HP SAS expander (at home)
Case : Lian Li PC-343 + 6x 5-in-3 hotswap bays (at home)
PSU : Corsair HX750 (at home)
VM HDD : 2x intel x25-m (at home)
Storage : 8x1tb WD GP and 8x2TB Samsung EcoGreen (at home)

All advice is welcome :)

// Merlinen
 
What did you end up getting? I am looking at the X8STE as a potential, but that X58 chipset is pretty power hungry.
 
In a lab environment you will probably be more disk I/O bound than CPU bound, except for wen you are booting all of your VMs at once.

I run a set of win2k8 database VMs, various web servers of different OSes on two dual-core ESX hosts and rarely do I ever have CPU problems. If anything I am frustrated by my iSCSI SAN disk I/O. (I run two ESX hosts in a cluster).

Like Valnar mentioned, I'd me more sensitive to power draw of your machines, since they'll be up and running in long stretches (I'm assuming that this is for a home environment).
 
Back
Top