Motherboard Diagnostics Test?

I haven't found a whole-motherboard diagnostic except for major brand computers like Dell and IBM. I have to test each section separately with different diagnostics.

I'd run a Linux live CD/DVD, and if the computer doesn't act up under Linux, I'd say the problem is Windows or a driver program.

Try a different memory diagnostic, like Gold Memory, and run it for at least 12 hours straight. Sometimes even MemTest86 and MemTest86+ give different results, despite being very similar programs.

Do you have any known good memory, i.e. something with chip manufacturer part numbers on them that you can see without removing any heatsinks, like a stick of that 4GB Samsung PC12800? Because I doubt that the Mushkin 1600 MHz was built with 1600 MHz chips.

I'd try another PSU, just for the heck of it.

Also try a new CMOS battery because I have an MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) that will not boot without a battery. This is only the 2nd or 3rd motherboard I've seen that needed a battery to operate.

MSI has issued a BIOS upgrade, ver. 1.F, to improve memory compatibility (newest version is 1.H), but don't flash a motherboard that isn't 100% stable, especially if it's from MSI, and flash MSI motherboards only from a USB flash drive, not anything else.

Don't rule out simple stuff, like a loose SATA data cable.

Back