Motherboard beeps at shutdown

silentwolf

n00b
Hey everyone, got a really odd question this time.

I just reinstalled windows on my computer, after a reformat of my raid to get a nice clean place to put the new install. Well, everything went well, got all my drivers and components installed, and its up and running nicely now.

However, it has a very odd problem now. Every time I go to shut down the machine, it gets to the "windows is shutting down your computer" screen, and then it starts beeping at me, and fails to shut down. It does a low beep, then a high one in short succession, waits two seconds, and does it again. It will do that pattern 4 times, until it does one low beep, and then starts over with the orignal beeping pattern. I have an ASUS A8Nsli premium, with a opteron 170, and 2 GB Gskill DDR 500 memory.

ASUS's website, and owners manual make no mention of motherboard beeps, and don't even have post codes anywhere because this mobo should talk to me when it has a problem. Their recommended solution is calling tech support, so before I waste a few hours of my day on hold, anyone have any ideas?

Its your temp alarm or fan alarm in the bios going off becasue whatever you installed (speedfan, some asus utility, whatever) is getting stopped when windows is shutting down, the bios detects what it thinks is a fan failure or cpu overheating and starts screaming .

Well its a pretty theory anyway, might want to check for something like that happening.

Back