Motherboard and M.2 compatibility

Kerkain

Limp Gawd
My motherboard is a GA-H170-D3HP-CF and I was looking into getting a 500GB M.2 970 Evo to replace one of my mechanical drives or just an addition.

I was playing around in UserBenchmark.com, when I threw together my benchmark and changed the SSD to the 970 it showed that my motherboard was incompatible with the SSD.

I'm trying to determine what it is that is incompatible. The specs I looked at appear like it should have no issue and my motherboard has the M.2 slot and available size so I'm not sure what I may be missing. Maybe its nothing but before I drop cash on it I'd like to be sure I didn't overlook a variable.

Thoughts?

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/8867819 if you want to take a look and see what I mean.

It should work, Gigabyte's web page for the board says it's a SATA and PCIe compatible slot. It may not have as much sustained throughput compared to a newer board though. Can't you get the EVO from a site with good return policy?

I generally go through Newegg to buy my parts but have a coworker that swears by Amazon so I may go that route for once. Regardless, if its just not compatible with the board I'd rather not waste the time finding out after the fact.

It is just odd that the benchmark site said it was incompatible and I couldn't figure out why.

I looked at the your website reference and it seems that they label any product which is outdated as "Incompatible" so its kind of deceptive, they should just label stuff as outdated and/or no longer for sale rather than incompatible. It obviously doesn't help that you're using Windows 7; I can't remember clearly but I think when I tried a Samsung 960 in a W7 computer I needed an extra driver or inf file to get it to work. Maybe someone else who uses W7 regularly with Samsung 960 or 970 drives can comment on that since I don't remember clearly what happened. It also probably doesn't help that you've never updgraded your computer's bios, although I'm sure that some here will argue that if the old bios works fine, its best to leave it alone.

That makes sense and valid points on the other issues.

I will be upgrading to Windows 10 with the hard drive since it is definitely needed, I agree.

As for the BIOS I honestly never considered updating it. The pc has been stable and I more or less forgot about it. I’ll look up the latest revision tomorrow though, thanks for pointing that one out.

Back