Most Reliable SSD for under $125?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
I need to replace a my uncle's Samsung 830 128GB. It has been rock SOLID/RELIABLE, but just need a little more storage space.What would you recommend in the 200-256GB range that is pretty reliable? He is an accountant so would be real PITA if his drive crashed. Data is backed up automatically to two different externals. I don't care about speed as all modern SSD's are fast enough and plus he is on an older i7 920 system.

I already had him buy the Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB for $110, but we can still return it if needed. I originally was going to go with the Samsung 950 Pro, but saw lots of DOA within 30 days on Amazon/Newegg so that scared me off.

Also, if I get a SSD that supports SED, would it work fine cloning the original drive or do I have to do a full reinstall of Windows 7? I won't be able to re-install since it's tax season and he simply has too many different accounting software on it. It was a full 2 day project last time I had to do a re-install few years back. Does SED require certain chipset/sata controller?

Thanks!

I've been getting the Micron M600 256GB drives for work as of late.

Costs less than the 850pro, pretty much the same speed, and has lower power usage.

A quick look shows they are in the $120 range from most places online.

Samsung 850 Pro 256GB is $117 shipped at Newegg right now. You're going to be hard-pressed to find a cheaper alternative with that kind of endurance and warranty.

Great point! I will order the 850 Pro then and have uncle return the Sandisk Extreme Pro.

Thanks!

Back