Most overhyped games?

For me, "Overhyped" doesn't mean that the game in question was a bad game. Just that it had an outrageous amount of press/blogs/fanatisicm connected to it - whether it deserved it or not.

Am I right in this way of thinking?

Json23 said:
For me, "Overhyped" doesn't mean that the game in question was a bad game. Just that it had an outrageous amount of press/blogs/fanatisicm connected to it - whether it deserved it or not.

Yeah I'd agree with that...and its all very subjective.

Slartibartfast said:
That usability, and the co-op, are really the only things that set Halo apart. Halo brought FPS to frat boys - it was Doom for them, a decade or so after the fact.

Halo 2 was seriously overhyped. "OMG dual wielding!?" Not something to get excited about, kiddies, that's only been around since, you know, forever. On top of that, they just normal mapped all the graphics to make things look slightly prettier. Lame.

The AI was, and still is, in a league of it's own. FEAR is the only game in recent history that matches the AI in the Halo series; unfortunately, FEAR suffers the same problems (Very uninspired story/repetitious level design). The online multiplayer was pulled off seamlessly.

It looked more than "slightly prettier" as well.

For my vote, I am going with Halo 2. I remember them hyping it up and taking preorders at 7-11. I mean what kind of gaming company launches a game at 7-11, thats just stupid. Also I would say that black is extremely overhyped as well. It is a good game, but 6 hrs of play time is ridiculous.

K600 said:
Correction; a 16-player DM that can be set-up within five minutes with zero hassle whatsoever. Sorry, but PCs still aren't even close to that kind of usability.

It takes me ~50 sec. to get on a CS:S server. It takes longer to find a good one but that's something both thing's suffer from.

Slartibartfast said:
Halo brought FPS to frat boys
That is the truth man, and I think it is a good thing. Some of my buddies started playing Jedi Knight and Quake 3 and UT with me after having fun in Halo. Halo just made the FPS more accessible. Overrated, yes, but is overrated the same thing as overhyped?

The most overhyped games have to include Daikatana, GTA: San Andreas, and Black & White

TFBlaze said:
I would have to go with CnC: Tiberium Sun. So much of a let down, especially from the preview trailer that came out with the origianl (well the orignal on the mac, god I loved that game :) )

Next to Red Alert, that was the best in the series!

colin said:
The most overhyped games have to include Daikatana, GTA: San Andreas, and Black & White

Seriously, Black & White was one of the buggiest game's I've ever played, and the patches didn't help at all. I've heard only a handful of people have been able to finish the game, which I believe, based on how wretched the game runs. I once had a game in I think the third level, where you have to follow the dude down the mountain without being seen. For some reason, the guy was invisible, and after I talked to him, the game would crash. I can't remember exactly how it happened, but the only save I had in that game was right before I talked to him, so I would load my game, the camera would immediately move over to mr. invisible, and the game would crash :mad:

To me the most over hyped games were

The Sims (come on its just fricken boring)
Halo 2 (same old blah blah blah)
Unreal 2 (A huge dissapointment with how they didnt include multiplayer at launch)
Warcraft 3 (I waited years upon years for it to come out, and it sucked)

I can definitely see F.E.A.R. being nominated for being pretty overhyped. I mean I found myself entertained for an hour or two at most, but the repetitive enemies as well as the bland environments I have to say it was nothing as special as I presumed from the commercials, previews, etc.

Of course it definitely has some of the best AI I've ever been up against. We cannot forget it has some of the best bullet-time and effects of current-gen FPS.

Json23 said:

I think this way too. That's why I mentioned oblivion. Granted I haven't played it before and don't plan to as I didn't like morrowind, but you can't deny how much hype the game is getting. Every site and forum has tons of oblivion threads, countdown to oblivion, etc.

Obi_Kwiet said:
It takes me ~50 sec. to get on a CS:S server. It takes longer to find a good one but that's something both thing's suffer from.

It takes about 30 to get into a H2 match; what's your point? We were talking about LAN plan, and no, you can't even begin to do that in that amount of time with PCs.

Json23 said:
What AI? You shoot and then they come looking for you.

You've basically confirmed my assumption that you've never played the game for more than five minutes at a time, let a lone on a difficulty above Easy.

WoW
Everquest I&II
Star Wars Galaxies

Pretty much any MMO ranks up there for me.

K600 said:
You've basically confirmed my assumption that you've never played the game for more than five minutes at a time, let a lone on a difficulty above Easy.
True...whoever posted the comment "what AI?" is pretty rediculous....the AI in Halo was some of the best AI encountered in ANY game ever. Read up on it...it's not just some random persons ass talking, Halo's AI has been praised in magazines and on websites alike. Get your facts straight man....

halo 2 and doom 3 were the most overhyped games, i didn't like either of them nearly as much as i was hoping to. I thought Half life 2 lived up to it's hype, i loved it beginning to end even after all the delays and stuff. I've played through it several times. I also liked Halo 1 a lot, and i don't remember it being hyped up all that much, at least not nearly as much as halo 2 or Half life 2.

Here are my votes:
- Star Wars Galaxies
- Black and White 1 & 2
- Doom 3
- Halo 2
- Jade Empire
- Killswitch
- 90% of Playstation 2 RPG's

And lay off of F.E.A.R., it's awesome. There was considerably less hype following F.E.A.R. than there was following HL2 or Doom3. I'd say there's more hype surrounding S.T.A.L.K.E.R. than there is F.E.A.R.

(Damn those game developers and their acronyms.)

Overhyped? Hm....i'd have to go with Halo 2 ( Loved the first one though ), Half Life 2 ( <-- ), and FEAR.

debrain said:
are there any games that werent overhyped?

I can think of only 1: Max Payne 2. That game just went straight to gold from what I remember.

To those of you who think HL2 was overhyped: Because a game has a lot of hype doesn't mean it's OVERhyped. If a game doesn't deliver, it fits the criteria. I know this somewhat of an opinion thread, but you're here on the [H] shit talking that game, you need to go back to shotgunning keystone light and playing halo 2 and madden at your frat, because I(along with many other here) can't take you seriously.

I think a contender for this prize may go to GRAW the new ghost recon game due out ... sometime :confused:

Thay have been putting the date back and back and back...its a joke .

The 360 version is due out in the next week or so But the PC version is no place to be seen .

No new screen shots for mounths , Not a single video , No contact from UBI regarding anything .

The PC version and the 360 version are being made by 2 diffrent dev teams and its said that the PC version will be nothing like the 360 version .

Acording to wispers the PC version is being built around the AGEIA Ppu and is the future of gaming .

All of the above sounds to me like a massive hype job and if its true it may be the biggest duck egg in history .

If its not all hype it will be the best PC game ever made to date .

I don't really understand the FEAR and HL2 comments. These were my two favorite games of the last few years. I have played through FEAR twice and HL2 three or four times now.

For being overhyped I would have to say Doom3. The graphics would of been cool if it wasnt so dark you could not see them. Every room was basically just walk in and have a scary monster jump out of a secret panel at you. I was expecting alot more out of that game.

I would probably say Diakatana. There is one factor why that didnt work though. I think one of the reasons it was so highly hyped up was the early demo that was released was awsome. Then for some stoopid reason the makers up and fired the entire original crew and redid the game from scratch which really sucked.

Occidio said:
I would probably say Diakatana. There is one factor why that didnt work though. I think one of the reasons it was so highly hyped up was the early demo that was released was awsome. Then for some stoopid reason the makers up and fired the entire original crew and redid the game from scratch which really sucked.

The book Masters of Doom is a great read for the history of id and also has a bit about what was going on during Daikatana and why it went to hell. It's been a while since I read it but there was a variety of factors, part of which was Romero's egomania but that certainly wasn't all of it. I get the impression that after the success of id he was pretty full of himself but since Daikatana has come back down to earth. I think Daikatana's main problem was that the scope was too big: they wanted to do way too much and didn't put a whole ton of effort in, for a variety of reasons.

Doom 3 - #1

BF2 - somewhere in the top 10 of recent years...

Fable - the buzz around this was so much greater than the game was, it wasnt a bad game but no where near the hype when it was Project Ego- controls/combat wasnt that great or fun. Nothing memoriable about fable, not a Zelda

FEAR - cant really comment only played the demo, wasnt all that impressed. it had bullet time but so did Enter the Matrix

Halo 2 BY FAR.

Those who said Half Life 2 are wrong. It was only hyped up on forums like [H] and the like; outside of the hardcore PC gaming community, no one really gave a shit or even knew what it was.

Both of the Halo's. They were mediocre at best, yet everyone who has an xbox loves them and has them. Next Doom 3, game was just blah.

AND FOR THE NUMBER 1 MOST OVERHYPED GAME

The SIMS.

Again, nobody's answered the question. What part of Doom3 was overhyped?

Sly said:

The part that praised it for being anything more than a decent tech demo?

Sly said:

Well if anything it had nostalgia going against it. Considering there was only talk for so many years about a new Doom doesn't surprise me if some think it was overhyped. Just like most games it had high expectations. Not only because the franchise practically gave birth to FPS's, it had some of the best atomsphere, levels, monsters, etc. ever seen by quite a bit of "gamers".

I think for the most part it was its technology factor. I mean it seriously had some of the most gorgeous and realistic graphics at the time. I remember reading article after article about how you basically needed a $2000+ just to run it "smooth".

Just my own opinions and observatiosn of course.

Dew said:
Halo2 was overhyped, Halo was great.

The only hype halo got was from the actual players.

Are you kidding? The hype for Halo was extreme. Don't you remember when the devs kept changing their minds on what platform the game was going to be on? Mac--PC--XBox (gee thx microsoft)

Dew said:
Anyone who slams Halo has never played 16player system link with 15 other people all in the same room. Now THAT is fun! (All my friends don't like to play Halo with me, something about dying 2 seconds after spawning, every time.)

Uh, lan-party, circa 1996, little game called Quake? Maybe Halo was the game that popped your lan-cherry, but other than being a pretty game on a new console, it was nothing new. What's that? Vehicles, you say? Tribes, 1998.

Would someone please explain to me again how running through the same corridors over and over again was special?

Halo: overhyped. Combat evolved? How? Could have been the greatest if MS hadn't kidnapped it and made it the poster child for the XBox
HL2: overhyped. Plot was poopoo, vehicle sequences were PAINFULLY long
Black & White: overhyped. No explanation needed, I believe
Daikatana: See: Black & White

And what's this about Prey and Oblivion, they aren't even out yet. For all you people know they could be so good your head explodes.

prtzlboy said:
The only hype halo got was from the actual players.

Are you kidding? The hype for Halo was extreme. Don't you remember when the devs kept changing their minds on what platform the game was going to be on? Mac--PC--XBox (gee thx microsoft)

The franchise didn't even have a definitive genre until it reached the PC. Halo, in FPS form, only made one transition; from PC to Xbox.

Halo wasn't hyped at all before it was released. There was practically no advertising whatsoever outside of a few advertising pages in magazines.

prtzlboy said:
Uh, lan-party, circa 1996, little game called Quake? Maybe Halo was the game that popped your lan-cherry, but other than being a pretty game on a new console, it was nothing new. What's that? Vehicles, you say? Tribes, 1998.

Nobody said Halo started LAN play. Halo streamlined it. By the time your LAN party is finished plugging up their computers, a 16-player match could've been started from scratch.

prtzlboy said:
Would someone please explain to me again how running through the same corridors over and over again was special?

PC magazines seemed to enjoy it in Doom and FEAR.

You obviously haven't played much of the game, though you've apparently read a bit about it. The back-tracking wasn't a problem until the end of the game. Once it happened, it was terribly boring though.

I gotta put Black up on this list. I remember hearing how great it was for months and months and I just rented the game 2 days ago. For one thing it is fiendishly short, but the main problem I have with the game is the enemies are absolute idiots. Also I wasn't expecting an amazing story, but having to be subjected to stupid C & C style live-action cut scenes is horrible. After all that hype, the lame cut-scenes and AI left me dissappointed.

combustion said:
WOW ...still overhyped.
Nah, World of Warcraft is just hours upon hours of fun.

I'd have to say Half Life 2. The way people talked about that game, I thought it was gonna be bigger than the second coming of Jesus Christ. It was good, can't doubt that, but nothing to write home about. I played through it the first time and that was it for me as far as that games. Cool graphics, though.

Back