Most Lightweight Android ROM

smc805

Limp Gawd
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to breath new life back into a couple of old Android phones I have (DroidX and Galaxy Nexus), and finally delving into rooting, custom ROMs, etc...

Does anyone know what the most lightweight ROM would be? Or perhaps ROM that is has lowest minimum hardware requirements?

Thanks!

There's no definitive answer. All custom ROMs tend to be a little lighter at the expense of possible feature loss and stability can be hit or miss. Everyone uses their phone differently so you just have to narrow down a few and try it out for yourself. I tend to favor Cyanogenmod for it's large group effort, not a one man show, and has a proper development process but even with Cyanogenmod which I've been running as daily driver I ended up reverting back to stock ROM for the missing features that are more important than the eye candy in the newer OS (Kit Kat vs Lollipop). Stock ROM with disabled bloat (disable anything that can be disabled unless you want it) is as light weight as custom ROM.

Looks like you're on Verizon. I'd highly suggest looking into the excellent Verizon prepaid Moto G for $20-25 when on sale. Activate it on pre-paid with $5 and make one call to start the counter which in six months will allow you to use it with post-paid. Or, buy one second hand that's already been activated. Benefit is the stock ROM is already light and everything works.

Doesn't get much more lightweight than stock Android, unless you want to strip all Google apps/services from it as well.

All Android custom roms (i.e. not the oem roms, any rom based on AOSP/CM) are 99% the same, the differences are just build flags/services/default options, and honestly any difference in speed/memory usage are not going to be noticeable IMO.

AOSP based roms are the logical choice. THis would be the most basic build of android available for the device. All other features are added. AOSP's are generally very responsive, but can feel feature lacking compared to some more feature rich roms (which may also be AOSP based).

cyanogen mod what ever is the highest you can load on the phone...

looks like the droid x is stuck on android 2.3 gingerbread and the galaxy nexus has the latest 5.1.1 available...

In my experience asop/cyanogen mod are going to be the smallest likely around 200-300 mb and require a second download of google apps that clocked in at around 400mb this is the app store ect...

Where as most carrier based roms are around 1.2-1.5 gb

Back