Most fun character type in Skyrim?

jbz7890

Gawd
I don't really have a preference between stealth, combat, or magic. However, I do know that in previous Bethesda games, some playing styles were simply more fun than others. For instance, in Oblivion, the ranged and magic combat systems seemed relatively poor compared to the melee combat. Conversely, in Fallout 3, ranged combat with guns seemed to be the most fun way to play the game.

So does this hold true for Skyrim? Has Bethesda done a better job developing one playing style than another? I'm interested in rolling a magic-user, but if Oblivion is any indication, I'd rather stay away from mage characters.

melee is pretty dumb in skyrim.

if you want ezmode, make stealthy archer.

magic is a lot better in skyrim than oblivion

Melee combat is the least interesting I'd say. Although it is better than Oblivion just like how Oblivion was better than Morrowind, so nothing revolutionary but progressively better. Ranged and magic however had big improvements.

But really combat in general has never really been all that amazing in TES games or even Bethesda Fallout games.

If you mean more in terms of effectiveness the issue is physical combat scales with equipment in Skyrim much better than magic.

Keep in mind this not accounting for modding, since that would just be too varied to discuss.

The modded character by a long shot. Look up some popular combat mods. Magic and melee have had lots of work done. I'm not so keen on archery type stuff.

Run an imperial with the calming spell. And just kill everyone as they stand there blankly staring at you as you slaughter them!

I have no idea how good it works but I think that'd be interesting.

Ok, you guys convinced me to avoid melee-focused characters for now. I guess I'm a bit paranoid about being stuck with a character I don't like because I played Oblivion and Fallout 3 on the Xbox 360, where there are no mods. I keep forgetting that the PC version is a lot more sophisticated than that :)

Ok, you guys convinced me to avoid melee-focused characters for now. I guess I'm a bit paranoid about being stuck with a character I don't like because I played Oblivion and Fallout 3 on the Xbox 360, where there are no mods. I keep forgetting that the PC version is a lot more sophisticated than that :)

Well, that is one feature of Skyrim: you don't have to be stuck being a certain type.

Magic was pretty enjoyable, if only because of fury or whatever that spell that pissed people off was.

I think I cast it on the chicken in the first town and somehow it lead to a gigantic melee (and a lot of dead people). It's like a guaranteed shit storm when you cast it.

I find the sneaking ones the best. It doesn't matter if it is magic or melee, as long as I am sneaking. It turns a 5 minute sprint through dungeon into a 30 minute on the edge of my seat checking my shoulder affair. There are plenty of dungeons I go through and the people don't even see me coming.

Does anyone know if they have created a mod for two scimitars on the character model? I am sure I can spawn them in, but it would be nice to have them scale so I can have my man's swords.

Heavy armor cat (forgot race name) fist melee character.
Khajiit. Wish there were more in Skyrim. They've really fleshed them out in terms of their culture and so forth, but you hardly ever see the fuckers around.

The illusionist is pretty fun. Use spells like calm and enrage to cause all sorts of hijinks. Get stealth too. You basically never have to attack anyone. They kill each other and you walk by.

Fist melee characters are also pretty damn fun.

i usually roll battle mage, so heavy armor and a sword with magic in the other hand

Skyrim is the first in the series where I actually found myself using a bow quite a bit. I wouldn't have even tried being stealthy in Morrowind or Oblivion, but going rogue on Skyrim was pretty fun. The better enchanting system made this and just about every other type of combat a lot more interesting I think. Although thankfully not exploitable to the ridiculous level of Morrowind, enchanting and smithing with good planning and preparation made a lot of awesome setups possible. By the end of my last game the bow I had was a chuck norris fist cannon.

Just bought Dawnguard yesterday and I'm looking forward to finally getting around to it today or tomorrow. Might have to try a Khajiit or Argonian; never played as one before. Being able to wear shoes always seemed important.

I almost always go pure classes in TES games. :)
My mages can't use armor except for light, no weapons except staff/dagger, ect. Fighters can't use magic, just potions, and so forth. Makes the game more enjoyable (and harder) for me.
I always thought some guy wearing 200LBs of armor and weapons would tend to have a harder time using magic or being stealthy, but that's just me. lol

I used to have favourite character, but then I took arrow to the knee ;)

Melee for me... Greatsword, fur armour, could play Conan wannabe that way ;)

Back