Most effective MacBook upgrade

the_servicer

2[H]4U
What is the best way to upgrade from a base MacBook Air or MacBook Pro? If you have an extra $100 to $150 to spend, the Apple Store lets you either double the memory from 4GB to 8GB or get a faster Intel Core. So which is the more intelligent choice?

I am planning to process JPEG files in Aperture and wondering how to get the best performance.

Don't the new MacBook Airs and MBPs have soldered-in RAM, so that you can't upgrade it yourself in the future? In that case I would say a RAM upgrade to whatever the highest is that you can afford.

And then save money to buy an SSD as a future upgrade like voklskier is recommending.

I believe for the air and rmbp that is true. But last I knew you could drop in ram in the regular pros.

I believe for the air and rmbp that is true. But last I knew you could drop in ram in the regular pros.

Doesn't look like it to me...

Edit: Just realized you said regular pros. Looking for the teardown for the regular MBPs now.

Edit edit: Looking at Apple's online store, they've only got MBPs with retina displays now. So, I don't think you can upgrade the RAM yourself later.

What is the best way to upgrade from a base MacBook Air or MacBook Pro? If you have an extra $100 to $150 to spend, the Apple Store lets you either double the memory from 4GB to 8GB or get a faster Intel Core. So which is the more intelligent choice?

I am planning to process JPEG files in Aperture and wondering how to get the best performance.
RAM is a more noticeable upgrade than CPU

Buy the absolute most RAM and fastest processor in the fastest model they make.

That will get you the best performance. Glad I could help with this.

Buy the absolute most RAM and fastest processor in the fastest model they make.

That will get you the best performance. Glad I could help with this.

I could spend 1,800 USD by going that route. Not in my budget!

By the way, only the MacBook Pro without Retina doesn't have SSD. (Why would anyone buy that model anyway?)

By the way, only the MacBook Pro without Retina doesn't have SSD. (Why would anyone buy that model anyway?)

I assume you are referring to the 2012 13" Classic MacBook Pro?

This is likely the last of the user upgradeable MBPs. I own that exact model, and upgraded it to 16GB Ram, threw in an SSD, moved the HDD to the optical bay and took out the optical drive.

It runs very nicely, granted the screen is only 1200x800 and is a far cry from the nice retina display, but I guess they have stock to clear and going forward it looks like all MBPs will have the retina screen and non user-upgradeable components.

I assume you are referring to the 2012 13" Classic MacBook Pro?

This is likely the last of the user upgradeable MBPs. I own that exact model, and upgraded it to 16GB Ram, threw in an SSD, moved the HDD to the optical bay and took out the optical drive.

It runs very nicely, granted the screen is only 1200x800 and is a far cry from the nice retina display, but I guess they have stock to clear and going forward it looks like all MBPs will have the retina screen and non user-upgradeable components.

That is exactly what I did to my MBP. Damn thing flies.

it's also what I did with my MBP and then ended up trading it along with $400 for a rMBP :O

The reply was meant to be subtle sarcasm, as you clearly stated you wanted the best performance, which is solved easily with the most expensive Mac. Which is $2800 (without the 1TB flash since that's not performance-related).

If you have a budget, obviously the "best performance" will give way to "the best performance for my money." Get the most RAM and fastest processor in the Mac that you can budget that for.

They don't exactly make 42,000 different models, this is not hard.

The old Pro models have optical drives and built-in ethernet. Maybe some customer still want these.

I think its really difficult currently to upgrade just one component for MBA or MBP. Its highly unserviceable so unless you order it from the get go your kind of locked in.

SSD= if you feel that your digital data is gonna be much more than what it comes with standard
RAM=EHH the Mac OS update seems to be much more efficient in dealing with the amount of RAM and performance
CPU= depends on the software your running. If your doing it purely on the numbers stop. If you need the upgrade due to the software package requiring a better quad cpu then yes.

I think its really difficult currently to upgrade just one component for MBA or MBP. Its highly unserviceable so unless you order it from the get go your kind of locked in.

SSD= if you feel that your digital data is gonna be much more than what it comes with standard
RAM=EHH the Mac OS update seems to be much more efficient in dealing with the amount of RAM and performance
CPU= depends on the software your running. If your doing it purely on the numbers stop. If you need the upgrade due to the software package requiring a better quad cpu then yes.

I don't think a CPU upgrade is possible.. Aren't they soldered in the MBA and MBP?

well i dont know if the OP is buying a new MBA or MBP. If OP is, then CPU is possible by just ordering it the way he or she wants

There's a third party company that makes SSD for the new soldered boards right? OWC I think?

What is the real world performance difference between a base MacBook Pro and a base MacBook Air?

Pro would be faster but not by more than say 10% at max.

Keep in mind that both systems would have to have the EXACT SAME SPECS

no, quite a bit of difference

the older macbook airs used 1.7 dual core i5's whereas the pros had 2.5 i5s
eventually the i5's in the 13's had hyper threading but I'm not sure if the airs ever did. I'll ask my gf when she gets home to look at her activity monitor.

the new macbook airs are using 1.3 i5s and the pros are still using 2.5 i5s.

that's a significant difference. I haven't seen benchmark comparisons but I'm certain it'd be more than 10%.

the macbook pro uses a higher quality screen than the air but at lower resolution. depending on what you want to use it for this can be either a benefit or negative.

one could easily buy an older macbook pro for under $650 dollars and really beef it up with a RAM upgrade and an SSD. Worthwhile comparable airs are still hovering in the $800-850 range. You don't gain much by going with the air, in my opinion, unless you really want/need the weight reduction. Personally I'm never going back from a retina...and the 15" is damn near the same size as the older 13" pro.

Again SSD upgrades are quite impossible in the new SSDs

Back