Most combat mATX case?

Droogie128

Weaksauce
I've been working on a sff build for this i3 2100 I've had sitting around. I was thinking ITX, but I can't decide on a case. I might consider mATX, but I really want this to be as compact a system as possible

Any suggestions for really small mATX cases? They still have to look good, too. :)

Last edited:
This one is fairly compact, and is $20 shipped after rebate through 5/20. I've used older versions of the case, and here are my impressions based on previous experience, plus new features. Heck, at $20 I'm considering buying another as a spare. Would have already if it weren't for the rebate.

FEATURES
  • slim mATX size
  • uses SFX sized PSUs (but only ones without protruding fans, for instance FSP 300W will work but Seasonic 300W will not work)
  • has an oddball one USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0 port in front under hidden hatch
  • hatch also hides a universal card reader and front audio ports
  • holds one 5¼" optical drive and one 3½" HDD
  • can take low profile expansion cards
  • 80mm exhaust fan up top

PRO
  • for the price (I paid $40 shipped) an unbeatable value because I've had other "cheap" cases that were a LOT crappier
  • because face is shiny and it is slim, end users like it
  • slim enough to easily fit behind LCD monitors, for pseudo zero footprint
  • my builds used integrated video and even with undervolted 80mm exhaust fan and CPU fan on "silent" profile in BIOS, never had temperature problems and systems were nearly inaudible (I'm talking near SPCR levels) with an SSD and a replacement FSP PSU

CON
  • some complain the stock 80mm sleeve bearing fan is noisy, so may have to do a 7v or 5v mod to it
  • drive bays have an odd assembly, meaning those who are accustomed to huge toolless E-ATX cases will probably be stymied
  • the ones I used had 450W PSUs which probably only put out 300W in reality, and the PSU fans were noisy to me though many others thought them quiet
  • construction is on the cheap side though once finished, side panel is on and it is standing upright you won't notice
  • "hidden" optical drive door flap is kind of flimsy and can be broken
  • requires use of the stands and the included right angle power cord since the PSU is at the bottom front of the case, making it unsuitable for a "desktop" orientation since power cord will then stick out the side

I already have the Antec Minuet 350, which is basically the same case. It's actually pretty huge front to back. I was thinking more of something like a cube. Sort of like an SG09, but maybe a tad smaller.

The old Antec NSK1380 would have been perfect, but they're impossible to find nowadays. For non ridiculous prices, that is.

Actually, I'm thinking of turning this into a media server/htpc. So, something with a few HDD bays would be best. I could have had a 1380 for $50 recently, too. So annoyed lol.

Silverstone Milo ML03B? It can hold three 3.5" drives if you ditch the optical drive, along with a separate 2.5" drive.

The ml03 isn't really a cube, though. I'm looking for something similar in shape to the nsk1380. I'm just not sure what's out there nowadays.

Btw, the title should say compact. I typed it on my phone. Stupid auto correct.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech8.jpg

Actually, I'm thinking of turning this into a media server/htpc. So, something with a few HDD bays would be best. I could have had a 1380 for $50 recently, too. So annoyed lol.

I find that Lian Li are the most suitable for mini-sever cases, and they tend to have that cube style that you said you were looking for. I'll assume that you'll want an ODD for a HTPC. For mATX, look at the PC-V354. 7 x 3.5" drive bays for storage and additional 2.5" drive bays if you want to load up an SSD for an OS drive. If you're looking for something smaller, best to go down to ITX. Try the PC-Q08 or the PC-Q18. The PC-Q08 has 6 3.5" drive bays and extra 2.5" bays under the ODD. The PC-Q18 has 4 3.5" drive bays with an additional 3.5"/2*2.5" drive bay, but has a smaller footprint.

Have you looked at the Lian Li PC-V351B case?

It's a nice case, but very expensive.

I find that Lian Li are the most suitable for mini-sever cases, and they tend to have that cube style that you said you were looking for. I'll assume that you'll want an ODD for a HTPC. For mATX, look at the PC-V354. 7 x 3.5" drive bays for storage and additional 2.5" drive bays if you want to load up an SSD for an OS drive. If you're looking for something smaller, best to go down to ITX. Try the PC-Q08 or the PC-Q18. The PC-Q08 has 6 3.5" drive bays and extra 2.5" bays under the ODD. The PC-Q18 has 4 3.5" drive bays with an additional 3.5"/2*2.5" drive bay, but has a smaller footprint.

The Q08 and Q18 are nice, and the Q08 is on sale for $90 shipped. However, they're ITX.

Here are some SilverStone cases for your reference in order of overall exterior case size:

23.0 liters - SG09/SG10
22.5 liters - SG03
22.0 liters - SG01/SG02
21.4 liters - GD04/GD05 (not really the cube style you were looking for, but they are somewhat cubed shaped too)

As a comparison, the Lian Li PC-V354 is 32.9 liters

ODD is definitely not required. I haven't had one on a system in 5 years. If anything, I might use a 5.25" bay for a 4x2.5" hot swap.

I actually had a modded sg03, but I sold it. Loved the look, but the hdd bays were a nightmare to work with.

Are you willing to go with ITX cases or are you sticking with small mATX cases?

Because the Silverstone SG05 and that crowdfunded case Ncase M1 looks small but really functional...

Right now the SG10 looks promising for a mATX case.

P.S. Evidently the BitFenix Prodigy after modding is the perfect full ATX case...

I already went matx for this build. I may be doing an itx build soon, though. I don't like the sg05 at all. It feels very cheap and flimsy. The one I saw actually had a big bow in the top because it was so thin.

I'm probably going to go with an isk 110 Vesa for the next build. Might go with an e350 apu board/cpu combo.

Is the sg06 the same chassis with a different front panel? They have a lite version of that now too.

Back