• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Most accurate PSU calculator?

Rinzler

n00b
Joined
Dec 29, 2011
Messages
9
EDIT: I've decided on one, thanks for the info. :)


I'm about to build a new computer and need to decide on a PSU, I tried a few different calculators and came up with different results, from 550w to 850w.

So, my question is this; is there an accurate psu calculator?

... or if anyone wants to recommend one for this system.

1 GTX 980 Windforce --- might need 300w alone?
1 Z97X soc
1 i7 4790k --- might overclock to 4.2GHz
2 8GB 1600 RAM sticks
1 HDD
1 SSD
1 bluray drive
1 CPU fan
3 case fans
~8 USB items

I won't be overclocking the RAM or the GPU(outside of factory OC). And no sli/crossfire in this computer's future.


Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Personally I don't trust any of the "calculators" as they're basically all inaccurate in my experience. My system runs around 350W at full tilt, the "calculators" say 500+ easy.

I'd aim for something in the 600W range, it'll be enough and still give you plenty of headroom.
 
The 980 doesn't require 300W on it's own. People keep mis-reading the reviews. That's ~300W pulled for the machines AT THE WALL. See the config in my sig, I'm rolling perfectly fine with a Seasonic Platinum 520W.
 
A 500 watt power supply would be more than sufficient for your system.

The most accurate PSU calculator is the OCN one made by Phaedrus.
 
Seasonic SS-660XP2 if price is no object.

Fully modular, Rock stable and highly efficient, if I was building now that's probably what I would get
 
HardOCP's GTX 980 test system, reasonably similar to yours (3770k @ 4.8Ghz) pulled 312W from the wall under full load.

If price is an object, the Rosewill Capstone 550W is on both newegg and amazon for $70, the XFX Core Edition 550W for $50 at the moment, or even the Corsair CX500 500W for $30 after rebate on newegg.
 
Just eyeballing your system I would have said 500W. USB, hard drives, ram, and fans don't have any significant effect unless you have dozens of them.

I'd probably throw a 650 in there just so you can go SLI down the road. You say no plans, but plans change.
 
Back
Top