Mosfet Water Blocks

Light1984

Gawd
I just put together a new rig, but I think I want to go water cooling. Right now I get the following temps with no overclock using a Thermalright Ultra-120 on the CPU.

Idle:
CPU - 31°C
MCP - 53°C
GPU - 47°C

Load:
CPU - 39°C
MCP - 59°C
GPU - 70°C

I am running the setup in my sig in an Antec P180, so it provides decent airflow. But this is the [H]ard Forum, so I want to water cool, and here is the obligatory parts wanted list.

$40.00 EK Multioption RES 150 Rev 2 Reservoir
$80.00 Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
$150.00 TFC X-Changer Triple Radiator 360 - 3/8" OD
$60.00 MC-TDX for AM2 Processors - 3/8" OD
$43.00 EK-NB S-MAX (For Asus Maximus)

and I am stuck on one of these two for my 260.

$145.00 Tieton for GTX280/260 - 3/8" OD
$130.00 FC280 GTX SLI - 3/8" OD

My question is, what should I do for the Mosfets? If I use the EK Northbridge cooler, then I will have to remove the stock cooler obviously, but that has a heat pipe that is connected to the mosfets, and I have not been able to find a Mosfet water cooling block that fits my particular Asus board. Would it be sufficient to simply put some Copper memory sinks on the mosfets with a small 40mm fan blowing on it or something? I do not know much about how motherboards work specifically, but I am assuming the mosfets get rather hot. Also, if you see anything wrong with my parts list, point it out. I think that rad will provide enough heat dissipation. This will be my first adventure into liquid cooling, so pardon me for any rookie mistakes.

I am in the process of adding blocks to my maximus as well due to my getting a new Mountainmods case. one thing that i didn't see you mention is that you will also need a sounthbridge block if you take the stock cooling off as it's also attached to the same heatpipe that the northbridge is. Quite contrary to your beliefs the cooler on the mosfets are actually not attached to the heatpipe. So if you remove the stock cooler there is still going to be copper block on them anyway and once you start buying all those blocks it going to start getting very expensive and it will potentially add more restiction to your loop.

I am in the process of adding blocks to my maximus as well due to my getting a new Mountainmods case. one thing that i didn't see you mention is that you will also need a sounthbridge block if you take the stock cooling off as it's also attached to the same heatpipe that the northbridge is. Quite contrary to your beliefs the cooler on the mosfets are actually not attached to the heatpipe. So if you remove the stock cooler there is still going to be copper block on them anyway and once you start buying all those blocks it going to start getting very expensive and it will potentially add more restiction to your loop.

Sorry for the confusion. I spoke with the people at EK and they said that the cooler for the Asus Maximus will work on my mother board which is actually an Asus M3N72-D. That is why it says "for Asus Maximus" next to the block. So on my motherboard, I actually only have a cooler on my northbridge and the Mosfets as seen in this picture.

Back