Mosfet cooling, how much paste?

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
How much MX-2 should I put on the mosfet chips for my asus rampage? I had a pretty thin spread on each of the mosfets. Is that enough?

If they are uneven with each other, even minutely, some may not mate at all with the heatsink or there may be air bubbles when using thin layers which could cause damage from heat without adequate airflow (though they are tough little bastards). It's best to use small dollops on each mosfet. The excess will squeeze out and MX-2 is dielectric so there is no worry of shorting anything. Reinstall the heatsink with care because pulling it off or to the side will require cleaning and reapplying the dollops as air bubbles could form.

If they are uneven with each other, even minutely, some may not mate at all with the heatsink or there may be air bubbles when using thin layers which could cause damage from heat without adequate airflow (though they are tough little bastards). It's best to use small dollops on each mosfet. The excess will squeeze out and MX-2 is dielectric so there is no worry of shorting anything. Reinstall the heatsink with care because pulling it off or to the side will require cleaning and reapplying the dollops as air bubbles could form.

Ah balls, looks like I'll redo it. I get all panicky when I dollop too much and like strands end up falling onto the mobo =/

That is ok as long as you are using NON Conductive.

I make TX-2 balls! Works great

Back