Moscow Subway To Use Devices To Read Data On Phones

HardOCP News

[H] News
What's up with all the weird stuff going on in Russia today? Maybe they do this stuff all the time and we just don't hear about it.

The head of police for Moscow's subway system has said stations will soon be equipped with devices that can read the data on the mobile telephones of passengers. In the July 29 edition of "Izvestia," Moscow Metro police chief Andrei Mokhov said the device would be used to help locate stolen mobile phones.

More info from another article on the subject: at least one major cell phone provider has stated that Russian police have not contacted them about it yet; and it's probably not really about tracking stolen cell phones but more about tracking terrorists, who have attacked the Moscow subway 3 times, killing 90 people.

Security theater at its best.

Becuse we all know stolen phones are such an epidemic in Russia.

Move along, these are not the Androids we are looking for.

Somehow I doubt this is entirely possible, unless they have bluetooth or wifi sharing or something enabled.

You can bet that if it's done somewhere else, it'll be done here.

It already is...

Michigan State Police have had devices to dump your cell contents for awhile now.

They were using them at basically any traffic stop they felt like to "inspect" your phones.

Fortunately I never saw it first hand or I'd have probably been arrested (and it wouldn't be the first time... cops really don't like it when people stand up against illegal searches or violations of their civil liberties and constitutional rights... but in the end you pretty much always win if you're willing to fight and expose their abuse of power...)

There was a legal challenge to this, so I don't know if it's still going on or not... but the cops already have this ability, as does customs any time you enter/exit the country... and they have pretty much free reign to use it without any kind of challenge.

It already is...

Michigan State Police have had devices to dump your cell contents for awhile now.

They were using them at basically any traffic stop they felt like to "inspect" your phones.

Fortunately I never saw it first hand or I'd have probably been arrested (and it wouldn't be the first time... cops really don't like it when people stand up against illegal searches or violations of their civil liberties and constitutional rights... but in the end you pretty much always win if you're willing to fight and expose their abuse of power...)

There was a legal challenge to this, so I don't know if it's still going on or not... but the cops already have this ability, as does customs any time you enter/exit the country... and they have pretty much free reign to use it without any kind of challenge.

Should add that this was after Texting While Driving was made illegal, and their justification was checking for texts...

But basically the devices dumped everything in storage or memory and they kept it all...

Somehow I doubt this is entirely possible, unless they have bluetooth or wifi sharing or something enabled.

It will probably track the actual phone itself. In the same way that 911 can track a phone here or gathering data from cell phone towers to triangulate where a phone carrier is. Only it will be used to track who uses the subway.

Don't think this has anything to do with what is on the phone.

Every cell phone is constantly broadcasting information and trying to connect to a cell tower.
All they have to do is have receivers setup that can receive this information, or get this information from the existing cell providers.

It will probably track the actual phone itself. In the same way that 911 can track a phone here or gathering data from cell phone towers to triangulate where a phone carrier is. Only it will be used to track who uses the subway.

Don't think this has anything to do with what is on the phone.

Thats what I was thinking... basically just any carrier/subscriber data that would be transmitted, not necessarily anything on the phone any other data that may be on the SIM card, as the article would suggest.

More info from another article on the subject: at least one major cell phone provider has stated that Russian police have not contacted them about it yet; and it's probably not really about tracking stolen cell phones but more about tracking terrorists, who have attacked the Moscow subway 3 times, killing 90 people.

The evil terrorists just hate Russia and all Russians for their freedoms and their altruistic way of life.

Terrorists hate Russia because terrorists are racist and love theocratic dictatorships.

In America government tracks everything you say and do, in Soviet you track... oh wait no government still tracks everything you say and do . :(

Back