Morrowind

What beginning mods would be reccomended without changing it to an entirely different game.
Aside from the graphics mods, I don't think you need much else, especially to begin with. There's nothing really essential, because everything's pretty well put together in the first place. I would've put over 1000 hours into that game, and tried out quite a few mods, but looking over them now, there's probably only half a dozen I'd bother to install again.

Here's what I'd be using:
- Unlimited carry weight, because I compulsively pick up every item I encounter
- Obscene amounts of money for my favourite trader, because I need to get rid of all this crap somehow...
- Join All Houses, to let you do all the quests for each of the rival factions
- A similar thing for the vampire missions (can't find it now, though...)
- The Morrowind Interactive Map, running in the background to keep track of where I've been

And once you've settled in to the game a bit, find yourself a house mod.

Aside from that, just take a browse of TESNexus and/or PlanetMorrowind looking for gameplay tweaks once you've got a bit of experience and see if anything strikes your fancy. Once you've seen everything the game has to offer, you might eventually want to go looking for extra content (items, enemies and quests), but that won't be for quite a while... ;)

Strangely enough, the game didn't freeze on me the second time I donned the armor. So now I'm still pretty confused, but I've done everything in my power to ensure stability. Maybe it's my mod load order...

Here's what I'd be using:

- Unlimited carry weight, because I compulsively pick up every item I encounter
- Obscene amounts of money for my favourite trader, because I need to get rid of all this crap somehow...
- Join All Houses, to let you do all the quests for each of the rival factions
- A similar thing for the vampire missions (can't find it now, though...)
- The Morrowind Interactive Map, running in the background to keep track of where I've been

And once you've settled in to the game a bit, find yourself a house mod.

I originally put about 20hrs into this game before becoming bogged down in inventory - and putting the game aside. I guess I was too used to the traditional dungeon crawl. aka: grab everything and sell it to upgrade. I found it to be tedious to walk back and forth trekking items to sell - and then have the merchant run outta money.:rolleyes: Those mods may have me reinstall this for a second go.
I thought about trying the game as a vampire, but figured it would be better to play normally first....and then never even finished it.
An interactive map! Man.....all this stuff is setting me up for a revisit for sure. Now I gotta choose a charater class for sure instead of trying to multi-everything like last time.

The 'carry all you want' mod has a corrupt header for me when I load it into Wrye Mash. Also, I am using 'better bodies' and now there's clothing/armor/flesh clipping issues everywhere. I might go back to just vanilla bodies.

EDIT: Just realized the weight mod is for Oblivion. DOH!

Last edited:
There are two other mods you should also get (at work, can't post links).

They make it so all Silt Strider ports travel to all other Silt Strider ports. No more of this annoying switching bugs at a stop.

There's another one that does the same for boats. Makes the game a lot easier!

Do they make a mod or is there some .ini setting or something I can use to make the text and font larger? I'm playing the game at 1920X1200 and the the text for dialogue and such is awfully small as is.

Do they make a mod or is there some .ini setting or something I can use to make the text and font larger? I'm playing the game at 1920X1200 and the the text for dialogue and such is awfully small as is.

There is a good tweaking guide at the excellent tweakguides.com

EDIT: Just realized the weight mod is for Oblivion. DOH!
Oops... Sorry about that... The TESNexus search reverts to Oblivion mods every time, and it escaped my notice...

Can't actually find a plugin for this. I never used one - I got mine from a weird glitch. Something along the lines of cheating to give yourself 65,000-odd Iron Right Pauldrons and then throwing them away... I may have missed some important detail, but if you want to try this, make sure your game is unpatched, and try it with 65535 or 65536 items.

There's also a trainer for v1.0 which I think does unlimited weight; hopefully the effect gets saved in your savegame so you can patch it up.

I doubt the GOTY edition allows you to install the original unpatched version, so GOTY owners might be out of luck on both accounts...

EDIT: Found one. Not unlimited, but a 10x increase:
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7428
EDIT: Found some pretty simple-sounding instructions for setting the value yourself. Make sure you install the construction set along with the game.
http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/elderscrolls3morrowind/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-41087968&pid=913818

Last edited:
All you need to do is make a little mod to bind a constant effect feather spell (of whatever magnitude you want) to some wearable item in the construction set, then either place it into a cell or use the console command AddItem ITEMNAME [Number] to add it to your inventory (and put it on, obviously). So, make the spell, name it, then attach the spell to a new clothing item. Pretty simple.

I used a feather ring for a while. I just set the magnitude to 3000, which was more than enough.

Last edited:

In the morrowind.ini file, you will find these lines:

Font 0=magic_cards_regular
Font 1=century_gothic_font_regular
Font 2=daedric_font \Font 1=century_gothic_font_large

change the first line to:
Font 0=century_gothic_font_regular
This should look much better on large resolutions.

You can even change it to:
Font 0=century_gothic_big
(or is it century_gothic_large?) but that doesn't behave well in the interface - text overflows the areas it's supposed to be in.

There doesn't seem to be any other way to mod the fonts. For more info about .ini tweaking, see Yacoby's Morrowind .ini Tweaking Tutorial.

In the morrowind.ini file, you will find these lines:

Font 0=magic_cards_regular
Font 1=century_gothic_font_regular
Font 2=daedric_font \Font 1=century_gothic_font_large

change the first line to:
Font 0=century_gothic_font_regular
This should look much better on large resolutions.

You can even change it to:
Font 0=century_gothic_big
(or is it century_gothic_large?) but that doesn't behave well in the interface - text overflows the areas it's supposed to be in.

There doesn't seem to be any other way to mod the fonts. For more info about .ini tweaking, see Yacoby's Morrowind .ini Tweaking Tutorial.

My eyes thank you!

Nice, thanks for the font fix! Does anyone happen to know how I can clean up/eliminate clothing and armor mesh clipping?

Is this different than Oblivion? If so, is it better?

I mean, is it a different game. I'm not familiar with this series at all.

Morrowind and it's expansions turned me into a hermit for ~1 year..... Just so much to do.

but...Oblivion looks so pretty :)
But... it all looks exactly the same.

And more importantly, it all looks exactly the same as every other generic fantasy setting in existence. Every town looks like a stereotypical medieval town, every ruin is exactly what you'd expect, every part of the environment looks like something here on planet Earth.

Morrowind, on the other hand... I lost count of how many times my jaw dropped at the sight of something. The cantons in Vivec. Dwemer ruins. A Daedric shrine at the bottom of the ocean. The Telvanni cities. The enormous "building" in the middle of Ald'ruhn. Bumping into the Ghostfence in the middle of an ash storm. Dunmer strongholds and propylon chambers. A cavern half a mile underground with a full-sized ship in it. Even spotting my first goddamn silt strider on the way out of Seyda Neen was more interesting than anything I ever encountered in Oblivion.

Last edited:

And more importantly, it all looks exactly the same as every other generic fantasy setting in existence. Every town looks like a stereotypical medieval town, every ruin is exactly what you'd expect, every part of the environment looks like something here on planet Earth.

Morrowind, on the other hand... I lost count of how many times my jaw dropped at the sight of something. The cantons in Vivec. Dwemer ruins. A Daedric shrine at the bottom of the ocean. The Telvanni cities. The enormous "building" in the middle of Ald'ruhn. Bumping into the Ghostfence in the middle of an ash storm. Dunmer strongholds and propylon chambers. A cavern half a mile underground with a full-sized ship in it. Even spotting my first goddamn silt strider on the way out of Seyda Neen was more interesting than anything I ever encountered in Oblivion.

This is a common consequence of increased polygon counts: decreased imagination in what they are rendering.

I liked Oblivion well enough on its own merits and such but there's just so much truth to this.

It didn't help that they oversimplified everything to make it easier for the console crowd. TESV will be even worse in that aspect probably...TESV for the Wii :eek: ?

It didn't help that they oversimplified everything to make it easier for the console crowd. TESV will be even worse in that aspect probably...TESV for the Wii :eek: ?

Yuck. That's painful for me to even try and imagine.

I'm sure I'm wishing upon a star here, but I sure would like to see part 5 maybe reach back to Morrowind and the earlier games and take the best from those and the best from Oblivion, marry it all, and really come out strong for part 5.

This is a game series that really gives a lot of weight to that "console-itis" argument that some people(re: console gamers) accuse us (PC gamers) of being "elitists" about. Look, it speaks for itself folks, if you've played both games.

If you fire up both games back to back and spend about 5 minutes with each, that's all you have to do.

You can't miss the night and day differences if you try.

The depth of scope, "epic-ness" and overall insane amount of variety for everything in Morrowind really makes Oblivion look like an incomplete game outright. The sameness in Oblivion is downright eerie. I almost pretend that the whole game takes place in a land where a cloning experiment for people, places, and even the land went horribly wrong.

In contrast, Morrowind is a constantly changing place and landscape. Each town is different. People are different. Heck, areas in the same towns have more variety than all of Oblivion.

It's a true shame that we probably will never see a game with such epic scope and variety like Morrowind ever again. I don't know if it's "blame the consoles" or some combination of many things, but it's a true tragedy. I fear Morrowind is the last of its kind.

Don't get me wrong: Oblivion isn't a bad game! I'm not an Oblivion hater by any means, but as time has gone by I find that I dragged my feet on an Oblivion replay after I finished it the first time and finished Shivering Isles but Morrowind is something I just keep coming back to. I probably won't ever play Oblivion again, although I could surprise myself.

This thread has made me come back to it yet again and with the two hours' worth of mod work inputting that everyone suggested...hell, it's a whole new game again!

This is a game series that really gives a lot of weight to that "console-itis" argument that some people(re: console gamers) accuse us (PC gamers) of being "elitists" about.
The baffling thing is that Morrowind on the Xbox apparently came pretty close to Oblivion on the X360 in terms of sales - if it'd had the same marketing campaign behind it, it probably would've been the more popular game. Yet developers keep feeding into this myth that all console gamers are morons, and that console games invariably need dumbing down.

Sure, it may be true of a lot of them, but there are still enough intelligent people over there to support decent games :p.

The sameness in Oblivion is downright eerie. I almost pretend that the whole game takes place in a land where a cloning experiment for people, places, and even the land went horribly wrong.
Hey, it's still an improvement on Daggerfall...

The baffling thing is that Morrowind on the Xbox apparently came pretty close to Oblivion on the X360 in terms of sales - if it'd had the same marketing campaign behind it, it probably would've been the more popular game.

I'd about guarantee it.

Yet developers keep feeding into this myth that all console gamers are morons, and that console games invariably need dumbing down.

Sure, it may be true of a lot of them, but there are still enough intelligent people over there to support decent games :p.

Absolutely! I used to be one of them! ;)

The first time I ever played Morrowind was the first day it came out on the original Xbox. I didn't get into PC gaming until around late 2002.

Thank you for bringing up this excellent point.

Hey, it's still an improvement on Daggerfall...

LOL, that's true enough.

I was all excited to get this running tonight, reinstalled Morrowind, got the patches etc. I am trying to run MGE, and it looks like this program doesn't like Vista 64 one bit. It crashes whenever I try to change my resolution and upon using certain auto-detect features. Anyone know of a workaround?

I know someone else mentioned this, but I'm on Vista x64 and it works just fine for me. Try to follow the steps here if you haven't already: http://morrgraphext.wiki.sourceforge.net/ and more specifically click on "Installing MGE correctly"

I know someone else mentioned this, but I'm on Vista x64 and it works just fine for me. Try to follow the steps here if you haven't already: http://morrgraphext.wiki.sourceforge.net/ and more specifically click on "Installing MGE correctly"

Yep I'm on Vista64 too and no problems with crashing either @ 1920x1200 with most everything cranked.

Kind of funny how this game with the MGE cranked up and texture packs can be almost crysis-like in terms of system demands :eek: .

Mine crashes sometimes, but it's pretty obvious why when it does crash. I.E. I left it paused for 3 hours and came back and started playing and it crashed. Pretty normal stuff like that.

My favorite overpowered action was enchanting a set of equipment to 100pts Chameleon, constant effect. Nothing could target me, let alone affect me. Had to take at least one piece off to talk to anyone, though. Solved the cliff racer problem, at least!

I believe the magic city (forget the name) out east has all the ingredients for +int potions for sale. +int allows you to make more powerful potions, the effects stack, and you can sell the potions for a profit.

Before long, I had ridiculous stats (like tens, if not hundreds of thousands), lasting bascially forever.

Some of them are problematic, though. Like strength. Not only could I one-shot kill anything, but it was destroying the weapon with one-hit, too.

Some of them are problematic, though. Like strength. Not only could I one-shot kill anything, but it was destroying the weapon with one-hit, too.

That actually makes a fair amount of sense, in a game realism sort of way. Super strength probably wouldn't wear well on weapons.

I need some help. I have some mods installed and this happens with some of the "plain" apparel items but not all.

messed_up.jpg

Any ideas?

Back