Morrowind

I was playing Morrowind last night and decided to make a "Kill Cliff Racer" spell like a previous poster suggested. Levitate 1 point against target for 1 second- I used it on a Bull Netch; it was hilarious to watch that thing freak out as it plummeted out of the sky!

Just rest between sales, unless it's stuff that ONLY Creeper or the mudcrap have the cash for. It's incredibly easy in the very first town to start selling for more than you paid for an item - you just need to replenish the cash the merchants have. Money should NEVER be an issue in the game, since five minutes in you can start towards infinite gold (without cheating).

Go for Creeper in Caldera; much easier to find than the mudcrab.

If I remember correctly, Creeper only has 5k gold, where the mudcrab has 10k.

Also, if you use any merchant mods, you'll probably find some that havemuch more gold than that!

Yep, but until you get levitate the mudcrab takes forever to get to (and even then it's a pain). Quicker to haul loads of stuff to Caldera and wait the 24 hours or stash stuff there and sell it off as you pass through.

Quickest is a gold mod but giving those traders enough gold to buy all your loot breaks the game even worse than it gets at high levels. Perma flight + chameleon = no fun.

Well I just got finished installing Morrowind and its expansions and patches. For those who are new or are installing it again and have forgotten the install order is somewhat tricky.

You should install Morrowind first, obviously. Then you need to install Tribunal and its official patch. Then install Bloodmoon and its official patch.

That is the recommended way for installation to make sure all the fixes are applied. :)

Also there are official, free plugins for Morrowind available from Bethesda. Not all of them are that great but at least they are free, unlike the Oblivion ones.

Only thing I REALLY wish would have been fixed for 'Morrowind' is the movement system. The collision detection is...perhaps too generous. It's very easy, moving around a room, to get 'stuck' on things. And it's not a 'bump and move to the side' like collisions in most modern shooters, you just get...stuck. You are moving along in one direction, then suddenly frozen and can move no farther, have to back up or go some other way. No 'bumping' off the collision (which at least feels natural) or moving around it - it's like the world is filled with sharpy, jaggy polygons you are interacting with. It's enough to make a pleasant looking bar or shop full of tables and chairs turn your stomach for the inevitable maze of invisible obstructing objects it is.

Only thing I REALLY wish would have been fixed for 'Morrowind' is the movement system. The collision detection is...perhaps too generous. It's very easy, moving around a room, to get 'stuck' on things. And it's not a 'bump and move to the side' like collisions in most modern shooters, you just get...stuck. You are moving along in one direction, then suddenly frozen and can move no farther, have to back up or go some other way. No 'bumping' off the collision (which at least feels natural) or moving around it - it's like the world is filled with sharpy, jaggy polygons you are interacting with. It's enough to make a pleasant looking bar or shop full of tables and chairs turn your stomach for the inevitable maze of invisible obstructing objects it is.

That sort of thing is why I used the "tcl" and "ra" cheats all the time. They really helped take care of the random bugginess (which I really don't consider cheating...).

That sort of thing is why I used the "tcl" and "ra" cheats all the time. They really helped take care of the random bugginess (which I really don't consider cheating...).

Seems like a mod should have been able to fix that, though.

I usually don't find getting stuck to be a negative. If you keep hitting the jump key repeatedly to try and get yourself out of whatever you're stuck in, you just end up boosting your acrobatics skill. A high acrobatics skill is a damn good thing for those who like jumping around like crazy (like me).

I usually don't find getting stuck to be a negative. If you keep hitting the jump key repeatedly to try and get yourself out of whatever you're stuck in, you just end up boosting your acrobatics skill. A high acrobatics skill is a damn good thing for those who like jumping around like crazy (like me).

It's only "negative" because it breaks the flow of the game. Walking...stuck...back up, walking...stuck...back up, walking...stuck. No warning or anything, just...stuck, back up, walking again. INFURIATING. Only time I've ever ragequit a game - trying to get across a room in 'Morrowind'! :p

As I'd mentioned, a fair solution would be some kind of 'bump'. So if you walk into something that would 'stick' you, it just bumps you back a bit, so you never have a situation where you are hitting movement keys that aren't doing anything. (EDIT: Related to that, another thing that bugs me now and then was NPCs getting stuck in doorways! That's actually one thing I did like about 'Oblivion' was that NPCs had schedules they kept. It was even used to interesting affect once or twice.)

this was a great game though i only played it on xbox it was a far better game that oblivion and fallout 3

Excellent game. I'm going back to this one and going to mod this up crazy when I get my new hardware.

It's only "negative" because it breaks the flow of the game. Walking...stuck...back up, walking...stuck...back up, walking...stuck. No warning or anything, just...stuck, back up, walking again. INFURIATING. Only time I've ever ragequit a game - trying to get across a room in 'Morrowind'! :p

As I'd mentioned, a fair solution would be some kind of 'bump'. So if you walk into something that would 'stick' you, it just bumps you back a bit, so you never have a situation where you are hitting movement keys that aren't doing anything. (EDIT: Related to that, another thing that bugs me now and then was NPCs getting stuck in doorways! That's actually one thing I did like about 'Oblivion' was that NPCs had schedules they kept. It was even used to interesting affect once or twice.)

It's much worse on PC than the Xbox version, but luckily I already knew that being able to jump high was a pre-requisite in Morrowind...lol

Get your Acrobatics skills up people.

I edited the post I made earlier, but I thought I would also correct myself here: the Morrowind Code Patch did not rename itself to Morrowind Patch Project. What really happened was that the Unofficial Morrowind Patch renamed itself to the Morrowind Patch Project. Apologies if I confused anyone.

You will definitely want to install both the Morrowind Patch Project 1.6.4 and the Morrowind Code Patch 1.2. They fix separate and important things.

I'd also like to point out Morrowind Expanded, which attempts to walk through the process of installing a better-looking Morrowind. I am still struggling with getting the install to go just right, though. Morrowind has a very short view distance, and the Morrowind Graphics Extender extends that but is rather quirky and a bit arcane. I've already had to abort and wipe clean several install attempts.

Anyone who is really into this game should check out the elderscrolls forums and join the fun there.

You know, as annoying as those things were, they didn't piss me off NEARLY as much as the freaking leveled-everything in 'Oblivion'.

I mean, by mid-game, the peaceful and tranquil woods around the cities became a virtual menagerie of medieval legend and folklore monsters. Made no sense at all! 'Morrowind' just ends up being a better experience, period. (Which is why I still have my original 'Morrowind', with expansions, after all these years. Compared to 'Oblivion', which I bought and sold TWICE...the second time because I was drawn back in by the graphics and thinking 'I must have sold it short last time, it couldn't have been that bad'!)

Oblivion was a huge dissapointment, i maybe only got around 30 hours of enjoyment out of it.

but i use to play Morrowind for 100's of hours.. Morrowind is such an Epic game for its time and still is.

The best part of Oblivion was after i had "finished" the game i would enter a town and get my toon to the rooftop of some building. Then i would fire off spells at the townsfolk until a riot would start. Very Funny. Everyone would be fighting with each other, spells ect. Was great to watch...

The 'Better Bodies' mod as mentioned earlier is definately a worthwhile mod. They probably look dated compared to oblivion, but they are miles ahead of the standard 'segmented' morrowind models.

There's boobies and willies too, but there are alternate versions of the mod that keep the underwear. There are plenty of 'better bodies compatible' clothing mods too.

One funny thing about morrowind is that if you run about with no clothes on, npcs will actualy react to it.

You know, I was going to reinstall oblivion to see how my new system would handle it, but now I think I might install morrowind instead. I don't know if it was the 'awe' of playing my first RPG type game, or because oblivion just wasn't as good, but I have so many great memories of that game.

I edited the post I made earlier, but I thought I would also correct myself here: the Morrowind Code Patch did not rename itself to Morrowind Patch Project. What really happened was that the Unofficial Morrowind Patch renamed itself to the Morrowind Patch Project. Apologies if I confused anyone.

You will definitely want to install both the Morrowind Patch Project 1.6.4 and the Morrowind Code Patch 1.2. They fix separate and important things.

I'd also like to point out Morrowind Expanded, which attempts to walk through the process of installing a better-looking Morrowind. I am still struggling with getting the install to go just right, though. Morrowind has a very short view distance, and the Morrowind Graphics Extender extends that but is rather quirky and a bit arcane. I've already had to abort and wipe clean several install attempts.

This post has made decide to reinstall this game.

Incredible!

Is there a walkthrough like that for Oblivion?

Last edited:

That's pretty cool...I may try it out when I get some free time.

That's pretty cool...I may try it out when I get some free time.

It took me a good couple of hours or so to get all that off the ground but I can honestly say it's almost like a whole new game outright. It's certainly peeled some of the age off the proceedings.

It took me a good couple of hours or so to get all that off the ground but I can honestly say it's almost like a whole new game outright. It's certainly peeled some of the age off the proceedings.

I'm at the final stages myself. I've seen the transformation between steps and I agree. I'm looking forward to playing a game from scratch with all of the expansions & new territories. Unfortunately I have about 1/10th the time to play video games compared to when I first played Morrowind. :(

This game is so different from Oblivion. It feels much deeper (though I've really only just begun) and much more mature. It definitely doesn't hold my hand like Oblivion did. I think i like it, but it's going to take some getting used to (i spent a lot of time playing TES4). I may go back and follow that step-by-step graphics guide, though what I have now isn't too bad.

I'm afraid this game may steal a lot of my free time :(

This game is so different from Oblivion. It feels much deeper (though I've really only just begun) and much more mature. It definitely doesn't hold my hand like Oblivion did. I think i like it, but it's going to take some getting used to (i spent a lot of time playing TES4). I may go back and follow that step-by-step graphics guide, though what I have now isn't too bad.

I'm afraid this game may steal a lot of my free time :(

That's a great description of the differences and if this game doesn't take up a ton of your free time then you aren't going to beat it anytime soon....lol

I always stay up to date on the morrowind mod scene because it's so interesting to watch!

First off I'd like to KISS TIMESLIP'S FEET FOR THE AWESOME MGE

Now that that's out of the way for all you graphics people out there check out Vality's Mods, I mean how awesome does this look.

The must have mod from Vality is the grass mod (adds animated grass like in oblivion). Installation is a snap, just use the plugins to generate the distant land in MGE, but DO NOT enable them in the actual game (you want MGE to render them, not morrowind!)

Other Mods

I'm not going to sit here and make a huge list of mods when that's already been done 1000 times, so instead I'll link you to my favorite list; Telesphoros' List o'Mods. It's been around forever and was just updated this month.

Definitely pick up Better Bodies, and my favorite texture pack to start with is Qarl's Visual Pack XT. Once you install Qarl's as a base you can add other texture packs you like on top of it, but generally I find his to be the most comprehensive, and thus a good place to start.

Other Must Haves

It's a big list so I'll just point you towards the lighting section, definitely get TLM (The Lighting Mod) and Illuminated Windows is great too. Getting a mod that makes signs readable is good for immersion too.

The rest is mostly personal preference so I'll leave it to you all to decide for yourselves! One last note, when you use MGE, make sure you use one of the custom HDR shaders as that is pretty cool too, right now I'm using the default HDR 4 shader. I also like setting my distance blur to 2.

Blurry sky fix for those using distance blur in MGE

If you're using distance blur you'll notice the sky blurs as well as the distant land... Well it's kind of distracting so here is the fix provided by Tetchy on TES Forums with my own (easier) instructions for it.

1) Open the file Morrowind\Data Files\shaders\distantland\InGame.fx

2) Go to Line ~834:
Code:
float4 HorizontalBlurPS( ScreenVertOut IN ) : COLOR0 {
	float4 Original = tex2D(s4, IN.texcoord);
    float3 Blurred = 0;
    float total_weight = 0;

3) After that last line, add the following:
Code:
    //Early out to prevent night sky blur -tetchy
if ( Original.a >= 0.9999 ) {
return Original;
}

4) The next function:
Code:
float4 VerticalBlurPS( ScreenVertOut IN ) : COLOR0 {
	float4 orig_color = tex2D( s4, IN.texcoord );

//return float4( orig_color.a, orig_color.a, orig_color.a, orig_color.a );

5) Add directly after:
Code:
    //Early out to prevent night sky blur -tetchy
if ( Original.a >= 0.9999 ) {
return Original;
}

OKAY THATS ALL HAVE FUN PLAYING! I'll watch this thread if anyone has questions for me.

I always stay up to date on the morrowind mod scene because it's so interesting to watch!

First off I'd like to KISS TIMESLIP'S FEET FOR THE AWESOME MGE

Now that that's out of the way for all you graphics people out there check out Vality's Mods, I mean how awesome does this look.

Man oh man you're really making me want to re-install Morrowind baaaad! You suck! j/k I have a ton of games I bought recently and I need to play some of those and here you got me wanting to play a 7 year old game again. LOL

Regarding Oblivion vs Morrowind... While I liked Oblivion a lot, Morrowind was more special IMO. Oblivion was pretty epic as long as you did the side quests but Morrowind's main story line was more epic and very different. I usually get into the more traditional fantasy games that Oblivion looks like and I was actually disappointed in Morrowind when I first played it because it strayed so far from the traditional fantasy stuff and it's now probably my most beloved RPG's.

Last edited:
I think the non-traditional fantasy is what everyone loved about Morrowind in the end, and missed in Oblivion!

I tend to honestly not play Morrowind much, but I enjoy tweaking it and getting it to run with new graphics mods to see how far it's come. The modding community for morrowind is perhaps the greatest I've ever seen in a game. It has bled over to Oblivion but honestly the Oblivion community is just a shadow of what Morrowind was in it's heyday, and with folks like Timeslip still using their talents to our benefit the community is still going strong!

Edit: In case anyone is wondering some of the new stuff I'm really looking forward to is coming from Vality/LizTail... Such as Animated Morrowind which makes all the trees and stuff animate just like the grass mod that was released.

For new quest mods, I would highly reccomend:

The Illuminated Order - It's a great quest mod for Magic characters, especially evil ones. You have a chance at becoming a Lich in this quest mod! Becoming a Lich offers tremendous arcane power.

Qarl's The Underground - This is a very large and fantastic quest mod from a legend in the Morrowind modding community.

I also reccomend Morrowind Comes Alive (MCA). It adds a lot more NPC's, including some that you can hire as a companion. It adds in a few random enemies, like thieves and footpads. All of the new NPCs have "schedules". They're not a good as morrowind. Basically they just warp to where they're supposed to be. But it adds some cool things. You can see the same Pilgrim at different Temple sites, courtesans don't appear in taverns until "business hours" at night, traveling merchants actually move to different cities. It's pretty cool.

I was all excited to get this running tonight, reinstalled Morrowind, got the patches etc. I am trying to run MGE, and it looks like this program doesn't like Vista 64 one bit. It crashes whenever I try to change my resolution and upon using certain auto-detect features. Anyone know of a workaround?

The resolution is defined in the registry. Edit the values in regedit or just use the Morrowind FPS Optimizer instead (if that works).

The FPS Optimizer has a host of other features as well, like FOV adjustment, mouse sensitivity multiplication for menus and so forth, so it's worth having it anyway.

I was all excited to get this running tonight, reinstalled Morrowind, got the patches etc. I am trying to run MGE, and it looks like this program doesn't like Vista 64 one bit. It crashes whenever I try to change my resolution and upon using certain auto-detect features. Anyone know of a workaround?

Strange. It works perfectly fine for me on Vista 64. I followed that link's instructions to the letter, in order, point by point and everything is perfect so far. *knocks on wood*

I got it going, thanks. However, I have a new problem. I copied in Darknut's high resolution armor textures, and when I go to my inventory in Arille's tradehouse and put on my newly acquired Nordic Ringmail Cuirass, the game just freezes. They're only textures, and my computer far exceeds the system requirements. So, I'm pretty puzzled.

This thread is very very useful, thanks for all the information. I can't wait til I have some time to get morrowind properly modded and playing again.

Is there any way to "slipstream" all these mods into an installation? On the Morrowind Expanded page he mentions backing up the install directory to DVD/HardDrive , is that just backing the installed mod/texture files? Or can one simply copy over the directory to "install" the game again.

Think Im going to have to try Morrowind. I have played Oblivion so many times it is boring just thinking about and I dont think there will ever be a decient MMORPG again.

No talking to a guy who has played oblivion many times but never Morrowind. What beginning mods would be reccomended without changing it to an entirely different game. I realize that mods are what this thread has been about but these posts have been from peopel wo play it to people who have atleast played it once before.

Back