Morrowind

J W

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone still play this? I went to Dallas yesterday and picked it up from Microcenter. I'm now looking for some good mods for it (mostly texture mods), and i've found that there aren't many places that are still hosting downloads for it.

Anyone know of a good place to start?

Essential Graphics update mod

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5535

Better Bodies

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3880

Supposedly this one below fixes a lot of bugs.. though I haven't personally tried it myself

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=19510

Personally, avoid game altering mods for your first time through. Or at least limit how much you're gonna mod the game up. I suggest running through it only with essential mods or mods that boost graphical quality. Then after you've had your share of vanilla Morrowind, slap some mods on for another X amount of gameplay hours.

Of course, this all depends on whether you like the game a lot or not :p

Youch. I was going to play this on my lappy.

Guess it's going to be a desktop game from now on with these mods.

edit: almost forgot! Thanks for the links, guys!

What GPU does you laptop have? The mod was made about 2 years ago so a modern laptop GPU should be able to handle it.

I just reinstalled Morrwind a couple weeks ago - I'll post the list of mods I'm using later when I'm home; they're all balanced and have made this playthrough a lot of fun!

Theres only one mod you really need for Morrowind - the one that removes all those annoying flying bird things from the game. Goddamn those were a pain.

Theres only one mod you really need for Morrowind - the one that removes all those annoying flying bird things from the game. Goddamn those were a pain.

This is certainly THE first mod that anyone should install and consider it mandatory.

re MW CR's, believe I snagged this over at the Ars Forums years ago...CR's PLAN B:

Some folks have been talking about weird spells on this site, like attacking Golden Saints while freefalling. I've done goofy stuff too. I recently re-did my Quickie Float Enemies spell after getting a CE Levitate amulet on my new char and binding it to a hotkey. (I'm back up to Level 30 now). The purpose of the spell is when something is mad at me and attacking me, I cast this spell on it, then hit the 2 key to start my levitation, I have the monster levitate chase me higher into the air recasting if necessary, and when the spell wears off, watching the enemy drop to its doom and get splattered on the ground. I've killed rats, nix hounds, kagoutis, alits, and shalks this way so far. Then I tried casting the spell on a bull netch...

Well would you know, in yet another comical exploitable bug that I hope the developers never fix, casting levitate on a flying enemy makes them fall to the ground after the spell is over like any other creature. So I guess you know where this is going...

Yup! For those of you who hate Cliff Racers, YOUR DAY HAS COME!!!

I made a spell "Drop Cliff Racer" Levitate 1 pt. for 1 second on target. When I see a cliffie or when one is hovering high above me, I just throw this one at them and watch them drop. It only costs 1 MP to cast, and it's very entertaining to say the least.

I made another spell afterwards called "Drop Cliff Racers" that does the same thing over a 50 ft. radius, for those times when these buggers seem to be everywhere.

If they don't die when they are grounded, that's where my CE Levitate comes into play. I levitate high above the grounded cliff racer and cast "Drop Cliff Racer Again" Levitate 100 pts. for 1 sec. on Target. The cliffie then flies high into the air chasing after me... and drops again after a second.

Now, if I'm already floating and see a cliff racer off in the distance atop a mountain, I have my next spell that I made "Drop Cliff Racer Taunt" which combines "Drop Cliff Racer Again" with Damage Magicka 1 pt. So I get some altitude, cast horizontally at the cliffie, it interprets the Damage Magicka as an attack and comes after me, then falls after 1 second, and since it flew off a mountaintop, it's a long way down.

So for those wanting revenge on cliff racers, it's fun time. Bethesda's programmers admitted they thought there were too many cliff racers in the game, now I'm kinda glad. So grab your CE Levitates, Wizards Staffs, whatever, and have fun.

LOL... very true

Though I say he should experience just HOW annoying cliffracers are before he install the mod. That way at least he'll know what he's getting rid of :p

Cliffracers! Bah beaten to it :/

Yeah they were annoying.

God I love this game. If anyone reading this hasn't played it: play it.

dj_2004 enjoys S&M as he travels through Vvardenfell in a gimp costume getting whipped by Cliff Racer tails. :p

Morrowind is awesome. I made the folly of using a monster overhauling mod (Giants) it made some portions of the game absolutely impossible while some easy monsters dropped absurd treasures like an amulet that gave me permanent chamelon (made getting the first shot enemies really easy).

Good topic, I just re-installed this for another play through. It is phenomenal and I do recommend you play it through mod free at least one time. You would be amazed at how beatifully dreary the world is, even with seemingly dated graphics, on a quality color reproducing screen. The sunlight can actually hurt my eyes when I look at it on my trusty ole AccuSync, just a beautiful game. After you install it, make sure to get the latest Bloodmoon patch from elderscrolls.com and the Code Patch from any MW DL site, plus I do recommend the 1.6.4 community patch that fixes a ton of bugs in this game.

As for mods, I say play it through then use the mods after the legit run through. There is a nice one that gives you 12 mark spots for recalling purposes.

I loved Morrowind, though I played it on Xbox because my PC at the time couldn't handle it. I never actually played the main story though. It was my goal to just be a thief/ treasure hunter. Eventually I was able to break into all of the vaults in Vivic and loot the crazy gear that was found in them. I also made it my goal to find every legendary item in the game, but I think I ended up like 2 or 3 items short before I stopped playing.

As for mods, I would definitely agree about the cliff racer mod! Play the game for a few hours to see how annoying those damn things are then get the mod so you really feel the relief lol.

This is certainly THE first mod that anyone should install and consider it mandatory.

You know, as annoying as those things were, they didn't piss me off NEARLY as much as the freaking leveled-everything in 'Oblivion'.

I mean, by mid-game, the peaceful and tranquil woods around the cities became a virtual menagerie of medieval legend and folklore monsters. Made no sense at all! 'Morrowind' just ends up being a better experience, period. (Which is why I still have my original 'Morrowind', with expansions, after all these years. Compared to 'Oblivion', which I bought and sold TWICE...the second time because I was drawn back in by the graphics and thinking 'I must have sold it short last time, it couldn't have been that bad'!)

Man this makes me want to reinstall and start trekking through Solstheim again...

Just need to get some graphical mods (and kill the damn cliffracers) to make it tolerable. Wish the Morroblivion project had the quests enabled.

My favorite overpowered action was enchanting a set of equipment to 100pts Chameleon, constant effect. Nothing could target me, let alone affect me. Had to take at least one piece off to talk to anyone, though. Solved the cliff racer problem, at least!

Man this makes me want to reinstall and start trekking through Solstheim again...

Just need to get some graphical mods (and kill the damn cliffracers) to make it tolerable. Wish the Morroblivion project had the quests enabled.

My favorite overpowered action was enchanting a set of equipment to 100pts Chameleon, constant effect. Nothing could target me, let alone affect me. Had to take at least one piece off to talk to anyone, though. Solved the cliff racer problem, at least!

I should have tried that :eek:. I had a ring that would unlock all locks in whatever the max radius was, so I could just walk in a room, use the ring, and proceed to loot everything w/o any effort whatsoever. I also had a never ending supply of daedric weapons because there was a bug that allowed you to loot the golden saints that you summoned if you looted fast enough.

I should have tried that :eek:. I had a ring that would unlock all locks in whatever the max radius was, so I could just walk in a room, use the ring, and proceed to loot everything w/o any effort whatsoever. I also had a never ending supply of daedric weapons because there was a bug that allowed you to loot the golden saints that you summoned if you looted fast enough.

I just stoeled their souls. Summon + one hit kill with a 'soultrap' weapon + Azura's star = endless supply of "permanent effect" items.

I actually ended up with a set of accessories (belt, necklace, rings, etc) that combined with the Azura's Star enchantments game me a 100% complete suite of summoned Daedric armor and a couple weapons (the kind that each piece also gives a combat or defense bonus and, as a result, USUALLY only lasts for 30 seconds without enchanting something with it).

You know, as annoying as those things were, they didn't piss me off NEARLY as much as the freaking leveled-everything in 'Oblivion'.

I mean, by mid-game, the peaceful and tranquil woods around the cities became a virtual menagerie of medieval legend and folklore monsters.

Lol at the second part.:p

Yeah, I really hated the leveled encounters in Oblivion.

I highly recommend the mods (I don't remember the names) that let you own a blacksmith, a clothing store, and a bookstore in various cities. I had a lot of fun with these after I had already beaten the game once.

I think this might inspire me to install Morrowind on my laptop. It isn't good enough for Oblivion so Morrowind will have to do. :-D

Qarl's Underground Mod is a classic - if you want to be evil and possibly become a Lich.

Tamriel Revisited (parts 1 and 2) add a gigantic new landmass to the East of Morrowind that adds a tremendous amount of content.

Scripted Spells is great; you can transform into different animals, and it adds a lot of cool new spells.

Balmora Expanded is another great mod- turns Balmora into a much bigger city, adds a lot of new shops.

I think this might inspire me to install Morrowind on my laptop. It isn't good enough for Oblivion so Morrowind will have to do. :-D

Morrowind + it's expansions is the better game, IMHO. Not as pretty, it's true that the alchemy system in 'Oblivion' IS an improvement, and you do a lot more reading. But the net FEELING is such a vastly more immersive game.

Essential Graphics update mod

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5535

Better Bodies

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3880

Supposedly this one below fixes a lot of bugs.. though I haven't personally tried it myself

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=19510

Personally, avoid game altering mods for your first time through. Or at least limit how much you're gonna mod the game up. I suggest running through it only with essential mods or mods that boost graphical quality. Then after you've had your share of vanilla Morrowind, slap some mods on for another X amount of gameplay hours.

Of course, this all depends on whether you like the game a lot or not :p

Does the graphics mod make much of a difference compared to the vanilla game? I loved Morrowind and would seriously consider getting it again if these mods make a difference. Also do they apply to both expansions as well? Cheers.

Morrowind + it's expansions is the better game, IMHO. Not as pretty, it's true that the alchemy system in 'Oblivion' IS an improvement, and you do a lot more reading. But the net FEELING is such a vastly more immersive game.

Yeah I've played through Morrowind and some of its expansions and almost through Oblivion. Both are great games in their own right but for some reason I thought Morrowind was a bit more fun.

Morrowind is much more immersive that Oblivion.

In Morrowind you craft a very unique identity due to the fact that there are so many more factions that you can join.

You can become a member of a Great House (Telvanni!), or remain apart from them all. You can show your support for the empire, or oppose them. You can be a thief, a licensed assassin, a figheter, a mage, a thief, etc.

You really get to craft an identity in Morrowind, and I think that's what sets it apart from Oblivion. You get the sense that there is so much more going on in the world around you, and you can shape events in any way you want. You can even damn the world by killing off people important to the main quest, but unlike Oblivion you can actually kill them off! Heck, you can take over an entire town if you want to.

Magic is also much more robust in Morrowind, but Oblivion has a much better Alchemy system and Enchanting system.

So apparently with that graphics extender, if you just go through and max all the settings, like telling it to display everything in the world with ultra high res textures, reflect it all in the water, and put a huge AA load on top of that, it becomes a lot harder to render than, say... maxed Crysis, for example. Good to know!

Now to fiddle with it and try to find what's appropriate at a more moderate level...

So apparently with that graphics extender, if you just go through and max all the settings, like telling it to display everything in the world with ultra high res textures, reflect it all in the water, and put a huge AA load on top of that, it becomes a lot harder to render than, say... maxed Crysis, for example. Good to know!

Now to fiddle with it and try to find what's appropriate at a more moderate level...

Game looked pretty great with ATI's "Truform" thing that was all the rage a number of generations of video cards back. Unfortunately, current driver doesn't support it - which is a bummer, it really improved the models.

Does the graphics mod make much of a difference compared to the vanilla game? I loved Morrowind and would seriously consider getting it again if these mods make a difference. Also do they apply to both expansions as well? Cheers.

Oh yeah... MUCH of a difference. My 8800gt could not run everything maxed out on the graphics extender. I think it was the outdoor shadows that really made my FPS take a nose-dive.

They're not that bad. They're only annoying if you're on the ground, and you won't run into a lot of them early in the game IIRC. They're really no big deal if you can fly too. Here's an alternative:
1. Find the Merchant mudcrab with the fat wallet. This way you'll have plenty of cash.
2. As soon as you get your hands on a soul gem that can support a constant effect enchantment & have enough cash, get an exquisite ring or amulet and put the best constant effect levitate available on it.
Once you can fly they're actually pretty weak monsters. Also, with a constant effect levitate item you can fly above the damned things. Once you get that item you can basically go anywhere you like unmolested and in a reasonable amount of time.

I ought to play Morrowind again someday. The first time I played it I went halfway through the game in 2048x1536 w/ 16xFAA (Parhelia). I probably got 10-20 fps. My P3-1.0 was so CPU bound setting it to 640x480 no AA maybe got me 2-3fps more. Then I built a dual AXP (bridge modded to MP) rig, dropped the res to 1024 or 1280 (I forget) and got decent framerates the rest of the game.
The Parhelia's 16x fragment AA (used edge detection & only applied AA to edges) was really handy in Morrowind due to a convenient bug. When it was on everything underwater showed up with a white wireframe around it, so I could actually see small objects in ponds. That bug got me lots of loot.

Yeah I was going to play it on my laptop (T400 with ATI 3470), but my frames per second is so low that i'll probably just play it on my desktop. The Graphics Extender really pushes my laptop..

And i don't want to lower settings.

The MGE distant land stuff is actually a cakewalk for any modern card. The catch: Morrowind's existing rendering pipeline still sucks. For distant land to look good, you really have to max out your normal view distance with a little tool called the Morrowind FPS Extender. Then it's welcome to teens-ville! (frame rate in the teens, not...)

The MGE distant land stuff is actually a cakewalk for any modern card. The catch: Morrowind's existing rendering pipeline still sucks. For distant land to look good, you really have to max out your normal view distance with a little tool called the Morrowind FPS Extender. Then it's welcome to teens-ville! (frame rate in the teens, not...)

So what is the best combination of settings with this mod to get the most out of a 8800gtx and have a decent frame rate?

You can max all of the other settings. Just max out AA and AF and set your view distance to the in-game max (it's 7192 units or some such thing). You'll likely still see dips into the 20s and 30s on occasion, but nothing major.

The distant land feature isn't worth it unless you extend to the view distance to the absolute maximum (7192+7192), or at least something very close to that figure. Otherwise, you end up with an invisible culling fog that makes object pop-in very obvious and very annoying.

One thing that took me quite some time to sort out is that the Morrowind Code Patch (I commonly see version 1.2 linked) has changed its name and is now the Morrowind Patch Project 1.6.4, which is a final version, in that they don't believe there are any significant bugs left that they can fix. Edit: upon futher investigation I think I may be wrong - they are separate projects and should both be installed. Wish I could find a definitive answer to this. Final edit: I was wrong - what happened was the Unofficial Morrowind Patch was renamed to the Morrowind Patch Project. The Morrowind Patch Project 1.6.4 and the Morrowind Code Patch 1.2 are two separate bugfixes, and you definitely want both.

http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm
Lists most of the mods.

http://www.mwmythicmods.com/MWE.htm
Found a note there that is probably important, to the effect that Morrowind Graphics Extender (MGE) 3.8.0 includes a built-in Morrowind Script Extender (MWSE) 0.9.3, and that MWSE 0.9.4a only adds support for one guy's werewolf mods and runs faster, but breaks MGE mods.

There are a number of world texture replacer mods, none apparently quite as universally accepted as Qarl's Oblivion textures, all looking different; there is a comparison page with screenshots here:
http://ltm.ufrealms.net/textpacks/

And finally, I'll link again the incredibly useful and complete UESP Morrowind web page:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morrowind

Last edited:
Back