Morrowind & Oblivion coming to Steam!

Slick. $25.19 for both. Might as well, right?

With the "deluxe" version of Oblivion it's $28, that's still a fantastic deal for 200+ hours of gameplay.

That vast majority of mods are simple texture replacers and in game scripts, sot hey should still work with the Steam versions. The script extenders will probably just need to be pointed to the correct folder to find the game .exe and be all set.

I'm gonna pick this up in the next day or two and test some mods out.

I may have to bite on this, I really do miss Vvardenfell.

Just played a bunch of 'Morrowind' last night from the Steam purchase.

I'm surprised by how well the game holds up. Oh, sure, the poly counts aren't as high as newer games, and the textures definitely lower res - but the story is FANTASTIC, the setting is compelling, and the gameplay and graphics really hold up alright.

Just played a bunch of 'Morrowind' last night from the Steam purchase.

I'm surprised by how well the game holds up. Oh, sure, the poly counts aren't as high as newer games, and the textures definitely lower res - but the story is FANTASTIC, the setting is compelling, and the gameplay and graphics really hold up alright.

AND THE MUSIC!!!

The sheer adventure and being able to just openly explore is just fantastic. AAARGGG... I may have to install tonight and ignore the gf :cool:

Is there some specific benefit to buying these games through Steam?

The usual Steam benifits:

1) No need for a CD.
2) Unlimited downloads.
3) One click install.
4) Automatic patching.
5) Instant Steam Overlay integration.

If you rather have a case + cd + manual, then go retail. I prefer having my collection on Steam for the ease of installation and no need for CD.

OBSE will not likely ever work for the Steam version. It is not possible to circumvent Direct2Drive's encryption protection on its version of Oblivion without asking for legal trouble. Sounds like the issue is the same for Steam.

And for what it's worth, I would never ever buy Oblivion without being able to use OBSE. Without OBSE there can be mods but they can't do anything radical in terms of script behavior. New weapons, new armors, new characters, new textures, new dungeons and simple quests can all be done without OBSE, but most of the game-mechanic overhauls (of which there are many) need OBSE. OBSE allows for scripters to use a much broader library of functions to interact with game data, and even lets scripters use better process flow control, such as loops and arrays.

The usual Steam benifits:

1) No need for a CD.
2) Unlimited downloads.
3) One click install.
4) Automatic patching.
5) Instant Steam Overlay integration.

If you rather have a case + cd + manual, then go retail. I prefer having my collection on Steam for the ease of installation and no need for CD.

I have first-run hard copies of all the officially released Oblivion content, and a GOTY edition of Morrowind. I prefer hard copies without (more) intrusive copy/distribution protection. I was just curious what alternative benefits that Steam offered that's got people clamoring for a 4 year-old game just because it's on Steam. Seems like the answer is "none." Or at least none that are objective. Judging by what the guy after you said about modding, it sounds like the Steam version is actually inferior. Not trying to start an argument here but in response to your points:

1) I think I've used the actual CDs once ever - ISO + DT/VCD FTW (deliberate overuse of acronyms :p )
2) Unlimited installs ;)
3) I don't see "one-click install" as a benefit when you need the steam client in order to install the game in the first place. With Oblivion installed on a portable HDD, I could play it on any properly updated Windows machine in seconds by simply setting the drive letter and merging a registry key
4) Oblivion hasn't seen a patch in ages, nor is it likely to see any more patches. Plus if you keep re-using the same installation like I do, you never need to re-patch it anyway ;)
5) I don't know what Steam Overlay is but I'm pretty picky about how my games look, so it's not likely to be something I want.

Again, not trying to argue. If you like Steam, that's cool. I can see your perspective, I just don't agree with it. I'm just surprised at how many people in this thread seem to want to buy a relatively old game JUST because it's on Steam.

I have first-run hard copies of all the officially released Oblivion content, and a GOTY edition of Morrowind. I prefer hard copies without (more) intrusive copy/distribution protection. I was just curious what alternative benefits that Steam offered that's got people clamoring for a 4 year-old game just because it's on Steam. Seems like the answer is "none." Or at least none that are objective. Judging by what the guy after you said about modding, it sounds like the Steam version is actually inferior. Not trying to start an argument here but in response to your points:

1) I think I've used the actual CDs once ever - ISO + DT/VCD FTW (deliberate overuse of acronyms :p )
2) Unlimited installs ;)
3) I don't see "one-click install" as a benefit when you need the steam client in order to install the game in the first place. With Oblivion installed on a portable HDD, I could play it on any properly updated Windows machine in seconds by simply setting the drive letter and merging a registry key
4) Oblivion hasn't seen a page in ages, nor is it likely to see any more patches. Plus if you keep re-using the same installation like I do, you never need to re-patch it anyway ;)
5) I don't know what Steam Overlay is but I'm pretty picky about how my games look, so it's not likely to be something I want.

Haha, you claim my reasoning is not objective, and you counter with incredible bias. I like it.

I at least acknowledge that some people prefer retail, and some prefer digital releases. Try to do the same.

Wow...you don't even know what the Steam Overlay is either. Keep on touting your "unbiased" opinion.

-------

On a more serious note: I've got about 120 games on Steam. I couldn't imagine having to keep track of all of those CDs, keeping a repository of backed up installations, and needing to crack everyone that doesn't allow me to play without a CD. Steam makes managing, keeping track, and installing my games extremely simple.

Last edited:
Haha, you claim my reasoning is not objective, and you counter with incredible bias. I like it.

I at least acknowledge that some people prefer retail, and some prefer digital releases. Try to do the same.

Wow...you don't even know what the Steam Overlay is either. Keep on touting your "unbiased" opinion.

I offered my own take and fully admitted it was nothing more than that. I never claimed any lack of bias. Grow up dude, not everything is a fanboy slugfest ;)

---since we like edits today---

on a more serious note, on the matter of objective unbiased observations, your steam version of Oblivion won't work with OBSE, my hard copy will. Just saying...

on a more serious note, on the matter of objective unbiased observations, your steam version of Oblivion won't work with OBSE, my hard copy will. Just saying...

"My penis is bigger than your penis. Etc..."

My copy will work just as well as yours will once I get a cracked .exe. Just sayin'.

You don't understand what those quotation marks are used for, do you? I'm paraphrasing you. You just went ahead and furthered my point. Haha.

I couldn't imagine . . . needing to crack everyone

My copy will work just as well as yours will once I get a cracked .exe. Just sayin'.

Good job on the self-pwnage there fella.

You don't understand what those quotation marks are used for, do you? I'm paraphrasing you. You just went ahead and furthered my point. Haha.

Actually it's becoming increasingly apparent that you're the one who doesn't get it ;)

I'm out, have fun.

Self ownage? This is a rare exception to the norm. A few games require a cracked .exe to be fully moddable (San Andreas, Fallout 3, Oblivion). You are using a cracked .exe regardless, otherwise, you need the CD in the drive. I think you better rethink that whole "self-ownage" bit.

Yeah, I don't get it.

Apparently, yeah. Some pretty impressive trolling being demonstrated here, huh?

I wonder if you could put a No-CD exe in the folder and if it would still run through Steam but also work with the script extender.... although that probably breaks Steam's EULA.

I wonder if you could put a No-CD exe in the folder and if it would still run through Steam but also work with the script extender.... although that probably breaks Steam's EULA.

Wondering this myself.

So, I finally got around to installing ALL of my Oblivion mods, can't believe I ever stopped playing this game!

Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Better Oblivion Sorting Software       Load Order Utility 
 also supporting Fallout 3 and Morrowind                   

(c) Random007, 2009, GPL3: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/   
 v1.3 (20 APRIL 09)                                        

Master .ESM date: Tue Jan 02 00:21:08 2001
FCOM detected.

------------------------------------
Recognised and re-ordered mod files:
------------------------------------

Oblivion.esm

Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm

Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm

Mart's Monster Mod.esm

FCOM_Convergence.esm

TNR ALL RACES FINAL.esp
  . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:NpcFaces,NoMerge}} and deactivate.

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp

Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp
  . Note:  Remember to use the 'MOBS' version when using Francesco's and FCOM.
  . Note:  Newest MOBS and non-MOBS versions have the same name.

Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Bosses.esp

Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Enemies.esp

Francesco's Optional Chance of More Enemies.esp

Francesco's Optional Leveled Guards.esp
  . Note:  Requires Shivering Isles expansion when using FCOM.

FCOM_Francescos.esp
  . Note:  Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items 4.5b required.

FCOM_FrancescosItemsAddOn.esp
  . Note:  Francesco's supplementary addon package required.

FCOM_FrancescosNamedBosses.esp

LoadingScreens.esp
  . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Graphics,NoMerge}} if using overhaul mods.

_Real_Lights.esp
  . Note:  Accidentally disables the Umbacano branch of The Collector quest.
  . Note:  - edit to remove the MS21statuescript script changes to fix this.
  . Note:  All Natural's Real Lights implementation shouldn't suffer from this.

Natural_Weather_by_Max_Tael.esp

Natural_Habitat_by_Max_Tael.esp

Natural_Water_by_Max_Tael.esp

300_Combat Sounds.esp

Soundscaper.esp

Rainbows.esp

IlluminationWithin.esp

Book Jackets Oblivion.esp
  . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Graphics}}

ChaseCameraMod.esp

P1DmenuEscape.esp

VA_BetterGold.esp
  . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Graphics}}

Landmarks, w Wells.esp
  . Note:  If using OOO, move this after OOO if you desire initial city map markers ala vanilla.

Expanded Hotkeys and Spell Delete v1.0.esp
  . Note:  Don't use hotkeys to change Warcry-style 'set' equipment. Game bug.

Expanded Hotkeys Brief Equip Message.esp
  . Note:  Don't use hotkeys to change Warcry-style 'set' equipment. Game bug.

DLCHorseArmor.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp
  . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Relev}}

Imperial Horse Armor.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

Bob's Armory Oblivion.esp
  . Note:  Requires 'FCOM_BobsArmory.esp'.

FCOM_BobsArmory.esp
  . Note:  Requires 'Bob's Armory Oblivion.esp'.

Oblivion WarCry EV.esp
  . Note:  Requires either 'FCOM_WarCry.esp' or 'FCOM_WarCryNoSpawn.esp'.

FCOM_WarCry.esp
  . Note:  Use either 'FCOM_WarCry.esp' or 'FCOM_WarCryNoSpawn.esp', not both.

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp

FCOM_Convergence.esp

FCOM_RealSwords.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Less Bone Loot.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Zombies for Body Meshes.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Vindasel.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Gems & Gem Dust.esp
  . Note:  Will work with OOO 'light' but is not compatible with the 'full' installation of OOO. Should be fixed in future versions of OOO.

Mart's Monster Mod - Diverse Imperial Armor.esp
  !!! FCOM INSTALLATION ERROR:  Delete. Already integrated into FCOM.

Mart's Monster Mod - Diverse Imperial Armor.esp
  !!! FCOM INSTALLATION ERROR:  Delete. Use 'FCOM_DiverseGuardUnity.esp' instead.

OOO-WaterFish.esp

KvatchAftermath.esp

ClocksOfCyrodiil.esp

300 Regal Imperial City 2.esp

ArmoryLab.esp

LetThePeopleDrink.esp

Malevolent.esp

MountainTower.esp

The Ayleid Steps.esp

za_bankmod.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp
  . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:C.Owner}}

Knights.esp

The Lost Spires.esp

Mighty Umbra.esp
  . Note:  FCOM requires 'FCOM_MightyUmbra.esp'.

Natural_Vegetation_by_Max_Tael.esp
  . Note:  Put before Unique Landscape mods to return tree sizes there to normal.

Compass-Disable_POIs.esp

Compass-Disable_QuestMarkers.esp

Compass-Disable_Both.esp

Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp

Quest Award Leveling SI.esp

Quest Award Leveller.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Vile Lair.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Mehrunes Razor.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Knights of the Nine.esp

RealisticForceMedium.esp

RealisticMagicForceMedium.esp

SupremeMagicka.esp

SM_ShiveringIsles.esp

SM_EnchantStaff.esp

SM_Scrolls.esp

SM_SigilStone.esp

Syc_AtHomeAlchemy.esp

No psychic guards v1.2.esp

LessMessages.esp

[GFX]_Initial_Glow-all.esp
  . Note:  Put shader removers after shader replacers (like Visually Enhanced Weapons) to remove or limit their display.

[GFX]_Initial_Glow-creatures.esp
  . Note:  Put shader removers after shader replacers (like Visually Enhanced Weapons) to remove or limit their display.

Visually Realistic Lava.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Resized Races.esp

Bashed Patch, 0.esp

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Unrecognised mod files:                                          
 Reorder these by hand using your favourite mod ordering utility.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Unknown mod file: XTS-Merchant-V2.esp
Unknown mod file: Auto_Recharge.esp
Unknown mod file: Streamline 2.1.esp

Done.

It works.

Here is how you get OBSE working legitimately:

1) Make sure you have received the latest update, we just updated on Steam about 30 minutes ago to make our binary more compatible with OBSE. Restart Steam if you are unsure and you should get updated. If you've replaced your binary with some non-Steam version you'll want to make sure it updates and you are on the new Steam shipped version.

2) Install OBSE into your steamapps\common\oblivion directory as you normally would

2) Get this file: http://media.steampowered.com/content/obse_loader.zip, and extract the obse_loader.exe over the top of the one from the standard OBSE install in your oblivion folder.

3) Run obse_loader.exe and everything should now work (you'll get passed through the loader first, just hit play).

I've contacted the OBSE guys so we can hopefully get our revisions to obse_loader added into the official OBSE package. Until then if you would like the source for the changes for obse_loader to compile yourself email me at jmccaskey at valvesoftware.com.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10397984&postcount=42

Well that's nice of them.

Meh, Steam knows that Oblivion and Morrowind are both played mostly heavily modded nowadays. They are just making sure that their customers are satisfied.

And yep, I'm grabbing it as well. My original Oblivion disc became a scratch toy for my cat awhile back.

Hopefully they patch the Morrowind .exe soon as well. There's a couple really nice extenders (Morrowind Code Patch and Morrowind Graphics Extender) that require matched binaries to run.

Self ownage? This is a rare exception to the norm. A few games require a cracked .exe to be fully moddable (San Andreas, Fallout 3, Oblivion). You are using a cracked .exe regardless, otherwise, you need the CD in the drive. I think you better rethink that whole "self-ownage" bit.

Yeah, I don't get it.

And as I said, this was a rare exception to the norm. Looks like the devs went ahead and fixed it. Really great of them. :D

Back