• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

More XFX 6600GT AGP teething problems....

hungryduck

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 29, 2005
Messages
1,530
Okay, well I managed to resolve some of the stuttering/tearing issues, but I've noticed in its 3 days of use, whenever I turn my computer on, the fan on my XFX 6600GT AGP 128MB seems to be grinding, or something. I just hear a terrible noise coming from it, and then it goes away......big issue here?
 
also, what are some other good tweaks, like disable fast writes etc to get better performance? I did overclock, and this thing overclocked like a man, 1.12ghz mem, but I didnt notice a real performance increase so I put it all back on stock.
 
Your fan is dieing. RMA it if you can (I know about the issues with the overclocking but a dead fan is completely unrelated to overclocking, a dead fan is purely mfg's problem, if it was the gpu or ram that died I'd not say to RMA it) or buy a new fan if you somehow think it would be wrong to RMA it, there are some nice fans out there.

~Adam
 
well this makes me incredibly sad. wow. alright well should I just buy a replacement cooler or go back to the store?
 
why dont you just look at it while it's making this sound and see what's up?
 
Assuming you haven't stuck something inside the fan, the best would be to just take it back to the retail store you bought it from and get a new one.

Which is pretty much just like RMAing.

~Adam
 
ok this is weird, it onlyt happens if the computer has been off for awhile.....if I turn off then turn on then its fine. What could this be!?!?!? I know is from the videocard....
 
hungryduck said:
ok this is weird, it onlyt happens if the computer has been off for awhile.....if I turn off then turn on then its fine. What could this be!?!?!? I know is from the videocard....
Might be just the bearings of the fan lacking proper/sufficient lubrication. It'll make the grinding noise until the lubricant has been spread over all of the bearings.

You could open up the fan's hub and add some lubricant (fine oil).
 
Take it back dude, if a fan is messing up and you open it up it'll be an obvious violation of the RMA contract. However, right now it will be an immediate switch-out because it is obvious it's their fault.

~Adam
 
Back
Top