More WoW BS

bonkrowave

2[H]4U
I'm not sure how many of you have read the WoW forums today (ya I know its a jungle). But Blizzard has puts its proverbial foot in its mouth.

Everyone knows about realm transfers. People on high population realms are allowed to transfer to a specific low population realm in an attempt to balance server populations. There were specific rules set up for server transfers such as:

1) You could only transfer from a high pop server to a low pop server
2) You could only transfer to the same rule set, IE pvp to pvp or pve to pve.
3) You could only transfer to existing realms as transferring to new realms would unbalance the economy

Well it appears favoritism has struck, yet again. The guild <displaced>, who has inside connections with Blizzard (pics on their site prove it), was allowed to transfer the entire guild on Arthus to Elder'teras (sp?). On top of this they were transferred across rule sets, which Blizzard told us was not possible.

I am very curious as to what the real truth is here? We were told that we could not pick which server to transfer to, we could not transfer across rule sets, guilds could not be transferred, and you could not be transferred to a new server.

I know my main on Eonar is itching to transfer to Stormscale.
discuss.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if they let people go from a PvP to a PvE now with the honor system. Obviously, some people got tired of all the constant ganking and would like to move. If that is the move that guild made, then I can understand it. However I can't see why they would let people go from PvE to PvP. Then people would just make characters to a PvE, level them up, and transfer them to a PvP once they were past the "danger" levels (30-40).

A little histroy behind this. The guild has a very bad rep or Arthus, and the CMs first posted that they were moved because of harassment.

This makes no sence to me as it is my understanding you dont move a bunch of gankers, epic loot rollers to a brand new server so they can start again, and have complete control over the economy.

Not having WoW here in front of me, nor access to the forums (thanks, Websense!), I'm unable to thoroughly investigate everything.

Is Arthas a PvP server and the other PvE? Was the other server one of the two that just came up earlier this week? Have members of this guild admitted to requesting to be switched to this server specifically? And, not having looked at the rules regarding switching realms, do they explicitly state that entire guilds cannot switch?

Aside from those questions, the whole thing does sound a little sketchy. I don't really see an email/forum posting campaign doing much about it though.

You can only transfer from a PvP to a PvP or PvE to a PvE and it can only be from a server Blizzard chooses to another server that Blizzard chooses.

Unfortunately what Blizzard did is not surprising. It happens in the corporate world every day. A customer gets in good with the CEO or high level employee, they tend to get better treatment. Sux for all the rest of us. Really sux if that is one of the new servers since they now pretty much own the economy.

The level at which I care it utterly insignificant. So what if they have connections, that's how the world works. You'll be much happier if you just play the game instead of giving yourself and ulcer over something like this.

I frankly dont care, as long as my realm isn't down (Hellscream) then me and my lvl 9 (w00t) human warrior will keep on trucking

Hate_Bot said:
I frankly dont care, as long as my realm isn't down (Hellscream) then me and my lvl 9 (w00t) human warrior will keep on trucking
Dude, you need to change your signature. You no longer need a guest pass...

gamz247 said:
Not having WoW here in front of me, nor access to the forums (thanks, Websense!), I'm unable to thoroughly investigate everything.

Is Arthas a PvP server and the other PvE? Was the other server one of the two that just came up earlier this week? Have members of this guild admitted to requesting to be switched to this server specifically? And, not having looked at the rules regarding switching realms, do they explicitly state that entire guilds cannot switch?

Aside from those questions, the whole thing does sound a little sketchy. I don't really see an email/forum posting campaign doing much about it though.

Arthas is pvp, dunno about the other. Why anyone would leave Arthas i don't know :confused:

Hate_Bot said:

Ah - so you decided to blow us off on Stormscale... No love - I see how it is. :p J/k

listen to yourselves.....if you cant blow someones brains out in an instant, what the hell good is it.......ever see the episode with William Shatner on SNL......?
discuss....

i do wish they'd allow for mostly unlimited realm transfers, that is, from any PVP to any other PVP server, so long as it's not a high one. i'd love to be able to transfer to stormscale...

and well... change factions to join the rest of the [H]orde :mad:

HRslammR said:
i do wish they'd allow for mostly unlimited realm transfers, that is, from any PVP to any other PVP server, so long as it's not a high one. i'd love to be able to transfer to stormscale...

and well... change factions to join the rest of the [H]orde :mad:

Ya thats my problem, my main is an alliance dwarf on Eonar.

/shame :(

First, the guild wasn't on Arthas server.

Second, Blizz has already said it was the mistake made by 1 GM, and they have since then transfered the guild back to their original server.

Genocidal said:
First, the guild wasn't on Arthas server.

Second, Blizz has already said it was the mistake made by 1 GM, and they have since then transfered the guild back to their original server.

Yes it was Uther not Arthas. Arthas, Uther both named after alliance scum ... little difference.

And the only reason they trasnfered the guild back is because they got caught, and were made to realize it was a stupid thing to do.

Displace guild transfer hits CNN

(I wish I could take credit for this)

displaced3mq.jpg

Earlier this week, characters belonging to a guild on Uther were moved to Eldre'Thalas to protect them from harassment. Understandably, members of the Eldre’Thalas community were very concerned about this and contacted us through the proper channels, so we investigated the matter internally. After reviewing the steps that were taken, we’ve determined that the appropriate procedure for addressing harassment was not followed.

The person responsible for making this decision saw this case as a good way to test the complex realm-to-realm transfer functionality that we would like to make available to players, while at the same time addressing the harassment concerns in a positive way for everyone involved. Unfortunately, the action caused confusion for both the community and the characters moved to Eldre’Thalas.

We have decided that in order to correct this situation and put the resolution in line with our current policy, all characters transferred to Eldre’Thalas will be moved back to Uther. Furthermore, the appropriate disciplinary action will be taken in regard to the harassment that took place on Uther. In addition to this, we will be reevaluating our communication procedure as it relates to enforcing policy, in order to avoid similar situations in the future.

We apologize for the confusion caused by this matter, and we want to reaffirm that the complex procedure of transferring characters between realms is in no way appropriate for addressing harassment concerns or other policy violations. We also apologize to the players on Eldre’Thalas for having disrupted the current state of their realm with this issue.

From the blues. They are being put back. It sounds like whoever did the transfer wasn't really supposed to.

Blizzard never said it was not possible. Blizzard DID say that it was not AVAILABLE. Quite different from not possible. ANYTHING is possible. Its their game. If they want it to happen bad enough, they CAN make it happen. They don't want people moving across rule sets. They don't want people to pick where they go. They COULD, but they don't want it to be that way.

Direwolf20 said:
From the blues. They are being put back. It sounds like whoever did the transfer wasn't really supposed to.

Blizzard never said it was not possible. Blizzard DID say that it was not AVAILABLE. Quite different from not possible. ANYTHING is possible. Its their game. If they want it to happen bad enough, they CAN make it happen. They don't want people moving across rule sets. They don't want people to pick where they go. They COULD, but they don't want it to be that way.

It would have been nice if:

1) If the Bliztards were up front about the "experiment". This looks more akin to tha typical corporate "ass covering" whne the hands are caught in the cookie jar to me.

2) They had done a bit more research about why the guild were being harassed prior to deciding to move them. If a group is showing bad behavior drawing a lot of heat from the players on that realm, it should not be encouraged or rewarded by cursing another realm with their presence.

my2c...

Evil Scooter said:
It would have been nice if:

1) If the Bliztards were up front about the "experiment". This looks more akin to tha typical corporate "ass covering" whne the hands are caught in the cookie jar to me.

2) They had done a bit more research about why the guild were being harassed prior to deciding to move them. If a group is showing bad behavior drawing a lot of heat from the players on that realm, it should not be encouraged or rewarded by cursing another realm with their presence.

my2c...

They already admitted that this was one or two people doing this, not Blizzard its self. Someone broke policy, and this is what happened. Not really Blizzards fault at all.

m4rine said:
They already admitted that this was one or two people doing this, not Blizzard its self. Someone broke policy, and this is what happened. Not really Blizzards fault at all.

Since transfering to a non-defined new server is a new thing for World of Warcraft, to say no one at Blizzard neither knew about this, or helped to make it so, is a little short sighted.

Thats like saying Jean Cretien and Paul Martin did not know anything about the sponsorship scandal, here in Canada. :p

Yes, I know Canadian politics, but the Canadians will get it.

Bonk are you a complete idiot? THats exactly what he just said. He said that blizzard took care of it. Which means now they know who did it, even though they werent supposed to. Fixed the problem and are probably punishing those few who let this slide by. What are you posting for. You even quoted him but didnt even read the post. :) Jesus whats the world coming too.

NeverBeGosu said:
Bonk are you a complete idiot? THats exactly what he just said. He said that blizzard took care of it. Which means now they know who did it, even though they werent supposed to. Fixed the problem and are probably punishing those few who let this slide by. What are you posting for. You even quoted him but didnt even read the post. :) Jesus whats the world coming too.

Hey asshat he said "it wasn't really Blizzards fault at all"

Reading for teh win !

bonkrowave said:
Hey asshat he said "it wasn't really Blizzards fault at all"

Reading for teh win !

One or two people that work for Blizzard going against Blizzard policy and making their own decision shouldn't necessarily mean omg wtfzors Blizzard is doing us in teh Butt.

It means somebody fucked up, not Blizzard.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
One or two people that work for Blizzard going against Blizzard policy and making their own decision shouldn't necessarily mean omg wtfzors Blizzard is doing us in teh Butt.

It means somebody fucked up, not Blizzard.

If you Blizzards half assed excuse that only one or two folks were responsable for this I have some beach front property in Idaho to sell ya.

Much Ado About WoW
A play in four acts (w/ sample dialog)

Act I - The Favor
"So you've gone and gotten the whole server mad at you? Yeah, I can hook ya up with a new server. No problem. Which one?"

Act II - The Lie
"Oh yeah, if anyone asks how you got there, tell them it was some super-duper secret test of the group transfer system. They'll never know the difference."

Act III - The Cover-up
"Somebody screwed up, so check the forums and delete, lock, or ban anything and anyone you see fit on the subject. We'll claim a disciplinary action happened. That gives us the right to do it."

Act IV - The Almost Apology
"We want them to believe everything we said before, and don't want them thinking they were right. Let's say we made some kind of other mistake, but not the one they think we made. At any rate, we'll do what most of them are howling... er requesting we do and returning the players to their original server. Oh yeah... uh... and say we're punishing the players we claimed were harrassing these guys earlier."

"The guild? Tell them we'll do another transfer later. They just need to keep quiet about it this time."

I'm still trying to classify the play. Should it be a tragedy or a comedy?

Testing functionality, they say.

On a Live server.
On a -weekend-
With a hated guild that happens to have Lum's wife as a member.

Wake up people, you're being lied to.

Evil Scooter said:
If you Blizzards half assed excuse that only one or two folks were responsable for this I have some beach front property in Idaho to sell ya.

Much Ado About WoW
A play in four acts (w/ sample dialog)

Act I - The Favor
"So you've gone and gotten the whole server mad at you? Yeah, I can hook ya up with a new server. No problem. Which one?"

Act II - The Lie
"Oh yeah, if anyone asks how you got there, tell them it was some super-duper secret test of the group transfer system. They'll never know the difference."

Act III - The Cover-up
"Somebody screwed up, so check the forums and delete, lock, or ban anything and anyone you see fit on the subject. We'll claim a disciplinary action happened. That gives us the right to do it."

Act IV - The Almost Apology
"We want them to believe everything we said before, and don't want them thinking they were right. Let's say we made some kind of other mistake, but not the one they think we made. At any rate, we'll do what most of them are howling... er requesting we do and returning the players to their original server. Oh yeah... uh... and say we're punishing the players we claimed were harrassing these guys earlier."

"The guild? Tell them we'll do another transfer later. They just need to keep quiet about it this time."

I'm still trying to classify the play. Should it be a tragedy or a comedy?

You forgot the expansion, Blizzard ALWAYS has an Expansion.

Also, yeah I know what I was basing this all off of is what Blizzard says.

However, the original poster said they had an insider at Blizzard, if that's true, how unbelievable is it that, that one insider did this?

Just saying. I don't "believe" any of it, I come to think of it I don't care that much.

Also, I really liked your 4 act post lmao...

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
You forgot the expansion, Blizzard ALWAYS has an Expansion.

Also, yeah I know what I was basing this all off of is what Blizzard says.

However, the original poster said they had an insider at Blizzard, if that's true, how unbelievable is it that, that one insider did this?

Just saying. I don't "believe" any of it, I come to think of it I don't care that much.

Also, I really liked your 4 act post lmao...

The expansion is Act V: World of Warcraft : A new Hope (Thrall shoots first)

It will include unseen footage, that was never released because the studio at the time did not have the technical expertise to accomplish. New scenes include a working honor system and battlegrounds.

ACT 6: The warriors strike back

ACT 7: Return of the Zerg : The rogue wars

Back