More than one public IP Address with Linksys router?

Super Mario

Limp Gawd
I have been thinking about getting a few more public IP addresses from my ISP because I need to be able to forward the same ports to a few more PCs on my network for certain online applications I want to run on multiple PCs that will only work with specific ports opened. I also want to still be able to NAT a few PCs local IP addresses to one of the public IP addresses I will have? How do I do this with a Linksys BEFSR81 8 port switched router? Can this router handle multiple public IP addresses while still being able to use NAT for some PCs? If Linksys routers have no way of being able to do handle multiple public IP addresses, I was looking into getting an SMC Networks router which I read it can handle multiple public IPs and still be able to use NAT. But is SMC Networks a reliable and good quality router brand?

most if not all linksys routers can not do multi-nat. as for SMC I would thnk it's about the same class of router might be a little better if it can do multi-nat....

If you want to forward multiple services, just bump the port numbers and forward to a different address. Most services out there are intelligent enough to realize the ports are different on the server and make use of the user-specified ones.

Say you have three apache servers. Just set each to listen on a different port, like port 80 for the first, port 8080 for the second, and arbitrarily, 8888 for the third.

If you can disable NAT/PAT on your linksys I may be able to help. Let me know.

Originally posted by BobSutan
If you can disable NAT/PAT on your linksys I may be able to help. Let me know.

he want's to do both...

This is what I had in mind....

external_plus_internal_network.JPG

I think thats possible, it depends on what connection type he has (cable or dsl) cable seems this will be much easyer. Linksys (at least my model) Profices either nat or Rip 1 / 2 support

Oh and I think that place doesn't let its images be loaded from other domains, it loaded in a seperate window when I tried it

Originally posted by bigstusexy
Oh and I think that place doesn't let its images be loaded from other domains, it loaded in a seperate window when I tried it

Fixed. I forgot to add the http:// portion of the url.

The solution you have Bob will work, but he's asking if it can be done with one router/NAT wall appliance. That I don't think any of the SOHO appliances will do.

I'm sure its possible, but I can tell you he won't be able to with a Linksys. He'll basically need a 3 interface router--one for the External (WAN) interface, one for the DMZ, and a 3rd for the private network. To my knowledge there are no Linksys products that can do this. I'm thinking he'll either need to build a BSD/Linux box of some sort or get another router and do something like what I have in the picture above.

He could, but I'm not always certain that's a good option. I've been stuck in numerous situations where I'd like to put in a real firewall/router (crisco or BSD BYO), but had to back off because the clients simply weren't lerned in what to do if shit->fan. Last thing I need is to get called up because the internet vanished. Much easier to teach them how to press reset on SOHO appliance and call the ISP if that doesn't work.

Originally posted by BobSutan
This is what I had in mind....

http://www.lan-slam.com/misc/networking/external_plus_internal_network.JPG

Yeah he can do it that way, but he only has one nat/router. if he did get a second linksys he could do that easy, and also make static route on both to let them now about eachother...

oh, crap he want's to foward ports, (kind of like a firewall...) he needs a router that does multi-nat. like a netopia, cisco or some higher end router....

Here is the way I would suggest you build a trinary network. Segment off the bastion hosts completely in the DMZ (servers, wireless, etc) and disallow any external based traffic from entering the green network.

2dlfh

Bob, that would need like a cisco 2611 with a ethernet wic card, about 1200 to 1500 bucks right? or might be able to do a *nix routrer...

How hard would it be to make a Linux router? Do you need any programming knowledge? What kind of PC would I want to use? I have an old Dell Pentium III 700MHz PC lying with 256MB of RAM. WOuld this be a good PC to turn into a Linux router? Also what about a BSD router? What would I use for multiple RJ-45 jack plugs on a PC I turn into a Linux router and what would I use to connect it to my cable modem? Would I need multiple Ethernet cards, or one Ethernet card with multiple RJ-45 jack plugs? Could I use Windows 2000 Server OS to make a router out of a PC as another option?

Forgot to ask, would a Linux, BSD, or Windows 2000 Server router be just as reliable, stable, and compatible as a standard router you buy already as a router such as Linksys, Netgear, SMC, and etc...

Originally posted by Super Mario
Forgot to ask, would a Linux, BSD, or Windows 2000 Server router be just as reliable, stable, and compatible as a standard router you buy already as a router such as Linksys, Netgear, SMC, and etc...

Well, in the router you have the power supply and the circuit board (and parts on it) that can fail. For a linux box running as a router you have the power supply, the motherboard (and parts on it), the hard drive, the video card, the CPU, RAM, 3 ethernet cards, at a minimum, that can fail. So in theory it's not as reliable, and because there's a lot more to configure, in theory not as stable.

Your spare machine however is quite adequate, so cost-wise it would be a lot cheaper to build a linux router than to buy a used Cisco 2611, for example.

Yes, you'd need multiple NIC cards.

Yes, you could use Win2k server to build a router, everything you need is part of that OS. If you have a "spare" copy and you are already familiar with Win2k, it would be significantly easier than trying to install Linux from scratch, if you've never worked with Linux (or BSD) before.

- Qualm

Originally posted by Super Mario
How hard would it be to make a Linux router? Do you need any programming knowledge? What kind of PC would I want to use? I have an old Dell Pentium III 700MHz PC lying with 256MB of RAM. WOuld this be a good PC to turn into a Linux router? Also what about a BSD router? What would I use for multiple RJ-45 jack plugs on a PC I turn into a Linux router and what would I use to connect it to my cable modem? Would I need multiple Ethernet cards, or one Ethernet card with multiple RJ-45 jack plugs? Could I use Windows 2000 Server OS to make a router out of a PC as another option?

That system would be fine for a *nix router. you will need 3 networkcards installed in the system though. you might look at ClarkConnect ( http://www.clarkconnect.org/ ) it's a software package that transforms standard PC hardware into a dedicated broadband gateway and easy-to-use server.

You don't need multiple NICs, you just need multiple interfaces. There are cheap multi-port NICs out there and you can just get one of those if you want. If you already have spare NICs and don't mind filling PCI slots, just use them.

As for my preferences, I like Astarro and OpenBSD/pf/ipf. There are a lot of different ways you can set things up. I prefer having a real computer with a hard drive and some interactivity running as a wall. Some of my buddies prefer having a machine with just a boot CD. The latter is obviously a better solution if power failures can occur, since there's no risk of filesystem corruption or significant downtime. But whatever you do, please, please do not run services other than the firewall off your router. Many people make their wall a fileserver/webserver/ftp/etc. If your wall gets compromised, there goes your data. If they exploit your daemons, their goes your wall and data.

Are Astarro and OpenBSD/pf/ipf easy or hard to set up? Will there be a performance difference between using Windows 2000 or Linux for the OS? Could I install Windows 2000 set up as a NAT router on real low end PC like Pentium I with 32MB of RAM or less? Because Windows 2000 requires atleast a Pentium 133 MHz or higher with 64MB of RAM or more to even run at all? Is that the bare minimum for Windows 2000 period, or only if you use WIndows 2000 the way Microsoft intended it to be used for servers? Also could I use Windows 2000 Professional to configure as a multi-NAT router, as I don't currently own a copy of Windows 2000 Server? I was given a free legal copy of Windows 2000 Professional from my college as part of the program I'm enrolled in. I may be able to get a free legal copy of Windows 2000 Server as well, but I'm not sure yet? SO will WIndows 2000 Pro work for configuring as a multi-NAT router?

For example lets say you need to forward port 80 to both machines?
You could forward external port 80 to internal port 80 on machine1
and forward external port 8080 to port 80 on machine2

That might solve it for you.

Astarro is moderate to hard, OpenBSD more like hard. You could also run FreeBSD and pf/ipf, which would make the OS basics easier, but you still have to work with firewall rules tables. It also depends on how much time you're willing to spend reading, researching, and understanding what it is you want to do.

Back