• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

More than one array / controller?

Tolem

n00b
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
33
How many arrays can you typically assign to a single controller card? Is it possible to have a raid 5 array, and a raid 0 array running off different ports on the same controller?
 
Last edited:
Most decent controllers support that. My Areca has no problems with it. I don't think there is a limit.
 
Oh sorry I didnt list the controller, I have the areca 1680. So it shouldnt effect performance at all? I want to put 2 SSD's in raid 0 for my OS partition and then also have it control my storage array and keep the two completely separate...

I already have the storage array running fine, was just worried it might wipe something out when I try to add the raid 0 array...
 
Well, the controller can only do so much, so if you're accessing both arrays simultaneously, you might have a bit of a slowdown. It is capped at around 800mb/s. You won't affect the current array by adding another in any other way however.
 
Back
Top