More Than Half Of Americans Now Watch Netflix

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This is fairly unsurprising in itself, but the graph that shows just how Netflix is doing in comparison with its competitors might be interesting to you.

Some 51% of American internet users say they used the site to watch movies or TV shows over the past 12 months, according to a survey conducted by RBC Capital Markets, representing an all-time high.

Just watched some clips of Mallcop 2 I thought the movie would be funny...
boy was I wrong I think the movie is geared for kids

Why spend $100 or more a month for satellite or cable when netflix costs about $8. You can use that extra money to get faster internet! :D

I'm sorry but netflix dosen't carry are fav shows and then you deal data caps

Now cable companies will focus on raping the consumer on internet service instead of raping them on cable TV. Same shit, different method.

Love me some Netflix. Much better than paying $110/month for Dish and a bunch of stuff I never watch. I just hope my Internet provider never starts that data cap bullshit.

I'm sorry but netflix dosen't carry are fav shows and then you deal data caps

Netflix+hulu plus+Amazon prime+hbo go (just wait til the entire season of GOT is over and then buy a one month sub to binge it) .

Faaaar cheaper.

Hulu is good for the newer tv shows, netflix is good for movies/their own programs same with Amazon.

To summarize: Half of the US population likes watching B rated movies.:p

Netflix streaming doesn't have the greatest selection of movies but if you get the Netflix DVD/Bluray mail service the selection of movies is much better on there. Based on the amount of subscribers of each service people seem to care more about just getting any movie instantly than getting a good movie though.

Their streaming service has a lot of good TV shows too (much more than movies), and it's a fraction the cost of a cable/satellite package. I can find more good stuff to watch on Netflix for $10 a month than I could find on a $70-80 cable package. If you combine it with other online services and online streams (a lot of which are "free" with less ads than on TV) it can be quite a compelling option.

Just watched some clips of Mallcop 2 I thought the movie would be funny...
boy was I wrong I think the movie is geared for kids

You look at a movie starring Kevin James and expected something watchable?

Netflix+hulu plus+Amazon prime+hbo go (just wait til the entire season of GOT is over and then buy a one month sub to binge it) .

Faaaar cheaper.

Hulu is good for the newer tv shows, netflix is good for movies/their own programs same with Amazon.

It may be cheaper but even with all them it still dose carry the show we like to watch and have make even one happy.
And as officer921 point out and your SOL if on data cap don't go very far when start watch video, and I can watch hardlee anything on Hulu due to BS that on CableONE (Internet) and Dish Network (TV) and get this BS (Watch shows only available through your participating TV provider).
And online is joke you can't keep track of what you watch and now there new problem min of broadcast providers are put it on there web and now there all over the place.
I stick with my DVR.

And I'm sure @#$% not going to let Hulu or Netflix nor Amazon connect my TV Provider and my account there they just go fly a kite.

Unacceptable, we need to do something about this.
- Cable companies

Comcast is apparently going to start charging overage fees nationwide, $10 for every 50GB over your monthly cap of 250GB. They are also going to offer an unlimited data plan for more money. They might even start offering higher speeds in general to allow 4K video streaming. After all 4K can push you into overage fees a lot quicker than 1080/720p.

I quit Netflix and went HULU since now they have a option to skip commercials for only 2$ + Subscription. Netshit is crap.

I never realized how good Japanese anime shows are until I got Netflix. Now we find ourselves watching mostly anime shows. As an American it can be hard to understand that things in vibrant colors can appeal to adults, but I assure it's possible.

We have since added Crunchyroll to our monthly sub to get the anime stuff Netflix doesn't have.

The thing I have learned with Netflix is this. Netflix doesn't have your favorite shows, because you don't know what your favorite shows are. You only know what broadcast TV let you see. It's like saying all the best songs are on the radio.

I never realized how good Japanese anime shows are until I got Netflix. Now we find ourselves watching mostly anime shows. As an American it can be hard to understand that things in vibrant colors can appeal to adults, but I assure it's possible.

We have since added Crunchyroll to our monthly sub to get the anime stuff Netflix doesn't have.

The thing I have learned with Netflix is this. Netflix doesn't have your favorite shows, because you don't know what your favorite shows are. You only know what broadcast TV let you see. It's like saying all the best songs are on the radio.

Anyone that thinks it's not for adults I always have them watch Grave of the Fireflies and tell me that.

One of the best movies of all time imo, even if it's animated.

Also if you haven't I recommend giving these a go:

Berserk
Vampire Hunter D I/II
Wolf Children
Trigun
Paprika
Gungrave
Th eGirl Who leapt Through Time
Cowboy Bebop
Gantz
Fullmetal Alchemist

Also any Miyazaki film if you haven't seen them, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Ponyo, etc.

Anyone that thinks it's not for adults I always have them watch Grave of the Fireflies and tell me that.

Berserk
Vampire Hunter D I/II
Wolf Children
Trigun
Paprika
Gungrave
Cowboy Bebop
Gantz
Fullmetal Alchemist

Also any Miyazaki film if you haven't seen them, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Ponyo, etc.

LoL well I'm 50 and just love anime here just a few of my favs
Ghost in the Shell
Black Lagoon
Rideback
Hellsing
Same here love all the Miyazaki and lot other films.

To summarize: Half of the US population likes watching B rated movies.:p

I have to say that I entirely disagree with this statement. I find that a lot of the movies and shows on right now are definitely in the A range of ratings. :) Also, if there is a movie I want to see that is not on the Netflix streaming site, I can go the the theaters or just buy the movie on DVD or Bluray.

Sorry but, Satellite and Cable TV services are not worth the cost by a long shot. Also, their selections of shows and movies are usually crap or a good one or two that they play over and over and over and over....... :rolleyes:

Berserk
Vampire Hunter D I/II
Wolf Children
Trigun
Paprika
Gungrave
Cowboy Bebop
Gantz
Fullmetal Alchemist

Ahh ya, I got all the Miyazaki stuff. Have converted all the DVD's over to Bluray...was so happy Spirited Away FINALLY came out.

laserdiscs.jpg

On top of that I have 40 albums by Joe Hisaishi! And that's not even all his stuff...the guy is crazy prolific. Even got the $50 concert bluray.

While not Miyazaki per se, Grave of The Fireflies is a dreadfully fantastic movie....I love reading the reviews and comments on that movie whenever it shows up on Slickdeals or something.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I love having Netflix. Started with my XBOX 360 and have had it ever since. Used to have the DVD service but dropped it and now only have the Streaming. Have Cable too but that is because the wife wants it. All I ever watch is Nascar and been wanting to quit that . Netflix has more than enough content to keep one entertained for a while. The movie selection is not great. But the TV shows are boundless. I watched all the Law and order series on there, Supernatural, X-files twice, A lot of Anime, The incredible Hulk, Roswell, and a whole lot more. My god would I ver fear knowing exactly how many Gb or rather Tb I use a month just with Netflix.

I think there are plenty of good movies on Netflix as long as you don't expect the latest blockbusters. I have a long list of movies I missed in the theaters or when they were new releases at the rental place, and I've found some excellent gems in the foreign section as well.

But forget all that. Netflix is absolutely killing it in the original content department. I watched the first eight episodes of their latest series "Jessica Jones" and loved it. I wasn't familiar with the character or sure what to expect - I was half expecting some overly PC girl power show, but was pleasantly surprised. It is everybit as good as Daredevil was. And if you haven't seen the first season of Daredevil either, check it out.

Berserk
Vampire Hunter D I/II
Wolf Children
Trigun
Paprika
Gungrave
Cowboy Bebop
Gantz
Fullmetal Alchemist

The classic Anime film most people are familiar with is Akira. But I found Spirited Away astounding. This is probably my all time favorite Anime film.

Back