• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

more RAM or CPU for multi-tasking.

Mr_Evil

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 24, 2001
Messages
3,699
I got this friend who thinks if he loads his PC with $600 worth of DDR he can multi-task better...and by Multi-task he means re-encode video and play a game such as Unreal Tournament 2k4 or HL2 at the same time. He's planning out an SLI build and he's cutting corners on stuff like PSU and video cards and cooling to buy 2GB of RAM which he feels will let him multi-task better in the aforementioned scenario.... I told him in that situation it won't mean jack how much RAM he has because his CPU will be maxed out by the video encoding with just 1GB of RAM. Now am I mistaken in assuming that the encoding application would just have a bigger cache for the source video with more RAM? (I feel SATA is plenty fast to feed the CPU) Or would twice the memory really give him a tangible benefit? I feel he's pissing his money off on something that won't do him any good that could be better used elsewhere in the system and keep it from ending up like his current SMP rig (dead mobo and cheap-shit PSU)
 
i honstly dont think any system other than multiple processor, would be fit for video encoding and playing any modern games.. let alone burning and playing modern games, unless there is a way to set piority on the encoding software to only use 20% of the cpu at all times, then more ram would help..

but he i trying to do 2 things that use 80-100% cpu load to run...
 
I would just let him buy it so he can say that he has 2GB of ram:) He'll learn the hardway.
 
Well, I was hoping it was obvious he'd be using an AMD 64 since I mention this is for an SLI rig (intel has no SLI chipsets yet). I'm neither an Intel or AMD fanatic (AMD machines outnumber the intels 2 to 1 on my LAN). But I don't think it's worth him blowing and extra chunk of change on high end DDR when he will not see any tangible benefit.
 
imo he's better off making a budget computer with those funds and make it into a dedicated video encoder. I can't even imagine how slow running encoding and UT on my system would be. I even complain about unpacking RARs =).
 
Mr_Evil said:
Well, I was hoping it was obvious he'd be using an AMD 64 since I mention this is for an SLI rig (intel has no SLI chipsets yet). I'm neither an Intel or AMD fanatic (AMD machines outnumber the intels 2 to 1 on my LAN). But I don't think it's worth him blowing and extra chunk of change on high end DDR when he will not see any tangible benefit.

Oh, well I guess there is only one type (speed) of AMD 64. My bad.
 
Well, seeing as how 1GB DIMMs are inherently slower than 512MB DIMMs (Try finding a CL2 1GB DIMM) and Athlon64 systems with 4 DIMMs have to run @ 2T Command Rate with 4 DIMMs (Causing a huge drop in performance) and the fact that Windows XP (which he will probably be running) STILL likes to page to disk on 1GB systems, let alone 2GB systems, I'd bet that the 2GB system will be SLOWER than the 1GB system for most of what he'd be doing. And there's no way that two tasks that want 100% of the systems CPU time is going to feel anyway smooth on a uniprocessor system.

If he is serious about gaming and coding at the same time, he needs to get a dual Opteron 252 workstation with nFocre Pro 2200 and 2050 with 2GB of RAM per CPU and enable NUMA on Windows Server 2003 or or a well planned Linux system. I'd like to build him one - for a fee of course.

If he still argues with you after looking at info like this, he's not worth the effort. Remember that high profit customers like him help drive prices down on consumer stuff =]
 
He's planning out an SLI build and he's cutting corners on stuff like PSU and video cards and cooling to buy 2GB of RAM which he feels will let him multi-task better in the aforementioned scenario

Is his name Moe Ron? Just curious, because cutting corners on PSU, cooling and video cards is just idiotic.
 
here may be a better solution than an sli system, get an ati pci express board, like 100$ like a64 winxhester 3200 100$ 2 1gb sticks 300$ and good case with quality psu 100$ a good sata 7200 hd and maybe 50$ dvd rw and 6600gt that would be a pretty good systemfor almost anything... sli not really needed for video encoding
 
Back
Top