More problems with Windows 7 default UAC setting

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Mithent, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Mithent

Mithent [H]ard|Gawd

After the previous UAC security issue in Windows 7, here's another exploit which allows an unprivileged program to perform arbitrary privileged operations without prompting:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/misc/win7_uac_whitelist2.html

Microsoft would no doubt say the same as before, that UAC is not a security boundary - and that is true. However, it goes to show again that the default compromised setting in 7 is much less secure than Vista's default, and the problems caused by having a whitelist.

2. Gorankar

Gorankar [H]ardForum Junkie

I like what they did with Win7, but they need to stop listening to the whiners regarding UAC. UAC is not that bad once you have everything installed and set up the way you like. Those wishing to turn it off can with little more than a google search. When Win7 ships I hope UAC is back up to Vista's default level.

3. TechieSooner

TechieSooner [H]ardness Supreme

UAC, by default, needs to be 100% ON!!!!

If users want to cripple the security on their systems, it needs to be a conscious effort to do so.

4. Vermillion

Vermillion 2[H]4U

And MS has already apologized and they are correcting the "issue" so this is old news and that person is just trying to spread more FUD.

I agree with that. Have already submitted feedback to them stating as much as has all my friends that are using Windows 7. UAC should be maxed out. If users want to weaken their security that should be their decision.