More physical, or more logical - use cases?

Tzeh Pesh

n00b
Given the speculation that the 9700K will see an increase to 8 physical cores and the loss of hyper threading, and the comparisons that were originally drawn between the 7700K and the 8600K, I was curious if there are actually use cases where sacrificing a few physical cores for more than a few more logical cores would be advantageous?

For example, random multitasking as opposed to "a" highly threaded workload? Day to day tasks versus running a single benchmark designed to leverage every core to the hilt. Say if you're playing a game whilst streaming music or a pod cast, with a series of other relatively minor background tasks like instant messengers or voice communication, apps and system services randomly doing their thing. Had seen comments around the place to the effect that more logical cores potentially lessen the chance for small tasks to hinder a "bigger" or main thread, but have struggled to find a concrete use case or benchmarks. I'm probably misunderstanding the basics there, but hopefully in a way that makes some sense, haha.

Have often wondered how a more casual or noisy gaming benchmark might look, compared to the sanitized ones around the place. I mean, I understand wanting to show the best case scenario and eliminate variables, but still curious what differences it might make between current i5 and previous i7 results, or on the gap between an i5 and an R5.

Or is the [H] solution just get moar cores and more threads!!!1! 9900K's for all?

Back