More on Revolution

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
Since the thread was closed? The discussion can continue here. THIS TIME WITHOUT FLAMING, GOD DAMNIT!!!!

Nintendo of Europe speaks a bit more details, including the mention of rounding corners, moving buttons, more explanation of the tech, and the infamous shell "regular controller"
http://www.dsrevolution.com/article.php?articleid=657

NOE also speaks here, offering some different details. Little known fact, this "regular controller shell" has a slot for the remote to go in, allowing you to use your beloved "complacent" controllers for ports, but with the additional leverage of all the abilities of the remote! (i.e. gyro, 3d positioning, etc), and that the tech does in fact work with all types of television (projector included), unlike lightgun tech.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60917

And IGN answers some questions and debunks the "WTF is suxxors" people:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559p1.html

Again, reading is all it takes people. Suspend disbelief and !!!!!!ism and observe the huge potential that this brings to the stagnant-as-shit gaming industry.

Your choice of words in the third sentance can possibly bring about flaming. This forum is a finicky bunch, just fore-warning you... :cool:

The PS3 with its floating Hal9000 computer brain chip and the Xbox180 with its bit blower nitro phalanx pusher are going to destroy this nintendo pos. Just look at the E3 vids! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Revolution has the potential to have a fully functioning wife-beating simulator, thereby making it the best console in history.

What is to keep developers from ignoring the gyro features and focusing on the shell-based version of the controller?

We've seen it happen with Nintendo technology before. Most developers that work on DS games use the second-screen and touch-features as an afterthought and nothing more.

Sarcasm aside, I'm glad that we will now be able to have a new method of controlling Mario Party 10 and the other regurgitations of Mario games that have nothing to do with platforming :rolleyes:

The Revolution is super fantastic..... Okay but really its the new Dreamcast!

I'll buy it.

In 2 generations, everyone will be using the whole motion sensor doohiky on their controllers

Just to back up the OP... Flaming and stupid off topic comments are not welcome, and may result in BAD THINGS (tm) happening to you. So just don't do it. So play nice, and may the schwartz be wit j00s.... :)

paranoia4422 said:
except microsoft will do it better
*cough*flamer*cough*

Sorry about that, my throat was rather horse. Back to the topic, I really love that design and now that I've seen the shell design I am more comfortable with the Rev. At first I was reluctant to see its potential, but now I'm on board!
-Rikus

hordaktheman said:
The Revolution has the potential to have a fully functioning wife-beating simulator, thereby making it the best console in history.

LOL :D

That controller kicks ass, reminds me of the Dreamcast :p

I wish this thing was coming out sooner.

Funny how the mere color of white makes people remind them of a dreamcast, when essentially it is almost exactly the wavebird design.

B00006418I.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412-000.jpg

I still prefer the traditional controller, every time I have used a gyro based controller for games (mostly a few arcade games?) it turns out buggy and annoying to use. I have my doubts on how well this will work out, but at least there will be the traditional controller peripheral attachment.

FitzRoy said:
Funny how the mere color of white makes people remind them of a dreamcast, when essentially it is almost exactly the wavebird design.

Umm no it reminds me of the Dreamcast because it has the docking station thing in the middle.

That isn't a picture of the shell controller. It is simply a picture of the wavebird that IGN photoshopped to show you what the shell "could" look like.

To be honest, if all PC gamers (especially those that are anti-console) were to buy one, I'd suspect they'd buy the Rev, since it provides controls that rival or even surpass that of the keyboard/mouse combo that's currently the most accurate. Then again, unlike myself, most PC gamers are graphics whores and will be flocking to the PS3. Doom 3's popularity clearly shows that all you really need is graphics. :rolleyes:

And I'm sorry, but some of you are flame bait. I won't name names... but "microsoft will do it better"? C'mon man, you owe Nintendo almost all of your controller's design and functionality. And if some of you have read any of these articles, even when the controller has been plugged into the shell, it still retains its gyro functionality. And yes, at first you will likely see developers being lazy with the new tech. But as it matures, you're going to see more and more come out of it. A good example is the DS, with its terrible launch. Even now some developers are still using the touch as an afterthough. BUT... some are waking up and truly using its potential. And with that, providing games that you could only wish were doable on PSP. Better graphics get my attention, but better games keep it.

All I know is that their has never been a first party (made by) nintendo game that I played that I have not liked (As in, developed and published by nintendo)

This controller sounds so interesting. If works how it sounds, I think its going to change how we play FPS on a console. I think Nintendo is on the right track and are doing a great job on this system. I dont care that its only 2x better than Gamecube, its the games that count.

They've retracted the "2-3 times better" thing, simply because that was not a power-comparison statement in terms of specs. Just a "what the visuals look like" statement. Still nobody knows how powerful it would be. Nintendo has said "when you look at it, it will be similar to what you can expect with the Xbox 360", but that means nothing.

Likely, being so small and cheap, it won't compare to the PS3 though. Of that we can probably be sure.

hordaktheman said:

Except with Nintendo's kiddy focus it will never happen, nor will you be able to bitch-slap opponentets in MGS2, you will, however. be able to pet your pilachu or Nintendog till your heart is content though

Actually they said they designed the control scheme more for the western market. What that means is that, since we're obsessed with shooting, killing, and whores over here (the sales of Doom 3 and GTA) they've made a control scheme that FPS-makers would die to program for.

Fuck the kiddy image bullshit for a second and realize that
A) Nintendo, as a first party, will usually make games that are rated E. This includes Zelda... They will not make a GTA like game. It's as simple as that. Their belief is that everyone can enjoy games, and this was the basis of their control redesign as well

B) They rely on second parties (Metroid Prime) and third parties (RE4) to provide them with games that cater more to the older audience. Third parties are free to make you able to bitch slap people in MGS5. Or to beat the living crap out of someone in THQ's next wrestling game. Second parties can let you shoot things on the screen till the cows come home. Just don't expect these games from EAD studios, or HAL labs or whatever.

Gob said:
I hate idiots like you because you don't realise these "kiddy games" are much more fun then 90% of the "ULTRA AMAZING GORE-FEST KILL THIS MAN THROUGH HIS TESTiCLES ULTRA GRAPHICS 3" stuff here.
thats because gore fest games are quanity over quality(not all companys do a good job)where as only one makeing kiddie games that catch someones eye is nintendo

I'll second that. I have more fun playing Super Mario 3 still today, than I have fun with GTA 80034534. Mario Kart is 10 times more fun than GT, imo. Smash Bros is more fun than Mortal Kombat. etc. etc... Play the game and stop looking at the violence. It is a clear sign of immaturity. The necessity for testosterone-inducing gore and sex is still the reason that movies by those like Michael Bay still work in the steadily-declining hollywood. Why is a car explosion and boobs necessary to keep your attention? What's wrong with Shrek?

Look to Zelda's Wind Waker for comparison, with its cartoon graphics that turned many off, was the 2nd best of the series, imo. Most people made their minds up before even playing through it. If it wasn't for the stupid sailing, it would almost be as good as Ocarina - which is why I can't wait to see what they've done with Twilight Princess... but I digress.

I remember that time when I was 15, when killing games and blood were "so cool" and seeing a booby in a movie was "awesome". But don't some of you mature?

Quality is subjective.

Variety in meaningful third-party support isn't, however. Nintendo doesn't have that; Microsoft/Sony do.

Also, all of the 20-30 year olds I know who arn't pathetic nerd virgins prefer nintendo games because they are more fun and stay to what a game is supposed to be, just fun.

I mean, it's not like Super mario for the NES had gushing tourents of blood, but it was still fantastic

DarkSeraphim said:
Quality is subjective.

Variety in meaningful third-party support isn't, however. Nintendo doesn't have that; Microsoft/Sony do.

What point is variety when they are all the same GTA/Goldeneye/GT Clone?

I've got 2 PS2s, one of which is broken, and one of which the laser is already a piece of shit after a couple years and gives the error you all know...

I own less PS2 games than I do Gamecube games. What does that tell you?
And don't give me some derogatory comment. God of War was the last PS2 game I bought, and while it was a good game, it clearly catered to the same audience as GTA. That is, 16 year olds, and 18+ who are in actuality 16. My PS2 has been a waste of money in comparison to the fun I've gotten out of Smash Brothers, Mario Kart and yes, even Mario Party and Donkey Konga.

Though I will say this, Nintendo got a bad case of sequelitis with Mario Party, mirroring the EA philosiphy. However, I'm glad that with their latest renditions of the series, as well as their upcoming rendition they've actually started to add some innovation to the mix. Playing with the voice recognition is quite fun. That said, you can't compare "Mario 100000" and "Zelda 643543" with GTA 1 and GTA 353453. Why? Because with almost every sequel Nintendo makes, they do something that deserves a sequel. I say almost, because I for one was disappointed with Mario Sunshine. And we all know Mario Party. But when it comes to every other sequel, for the most part, rehashing, as is done on the other 2 systems so much (Halo?) is kept to a minimum.

This is why that I trust Nintendo for the most part, while the other 2 system makers (especially Sony) I refuse to buy into any hype until I play their games and see them in action. Sony even more than MS is a master of deception and advertising hype, and subquality games and "me too" software litter the PS2s library far more than anyone else's. I would rather have 300 games of which 75% of them are good, than 1500 games of which 25% of them are good.

I am not as much of a fan boy as many of you may think, I am simply stating that in terms of innovation, game quality, replayability, and most importantly, fun - Nintendo is most often #1. Yes, what i say is quite subjective, but their first party games are the reason why you have a PS2 and an XBox in the first place.

Gob said:
I hate idiots like you because you don't realise these "kiddy games" are much more fun then 90% of the "ULTRA AMAZING GORE-FEST KILL THIS MAN THROUGH HIS TESTiCLES ULTRA GRAPHICS 3" stuff here.

LOL /clap

Man I can't wait for a Revolution. Imagine a Star Wars game where you can lightsaber duel by swinging that friggin controller. I can't wait.

The more and more I read these console vs. console conversations, the more and more I think that gamers have some kind of mental issues that keep them for thinking for themselves. If I had a dollar for every fool knocking people because they prefer not to play Nintendo games, I'd buy Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.

Seriously, though, if you like Nintendo, then that's cool, but don't go around acting like people are insecure and immature because they prefer more "mature" games. Some people grow out of that shit. If you haven't, that's fine; have fun playing playing Super Mario 3 for the rest of your life, but don't try to make me feel like a dumbass because I would rather pop a copy of MGS3 into my system than Donkey Kong's Jingling Balls or some shit.

steviep said:
I'll second that. I have more fun playing Super Mario 3 still today, than I have fun with GTA 80034534. Mario Kart is 10 times more fun than GT, imo. Smash Bros is more fun than Mortal Kombat. etc. etc... Play the game and stop looking at the violence. It is a clear sign of immaturity. The necessity for testosterone-inducing gore and sex is still the reason that movies by those like Michael Bay still work in the steadily-declining hollywood. Why is a car explosion and boobs necessary to keep your attention? What's wrong with Shrek?

Look to Zelda's Wind Waker for comparison, with its cartoon graphics that turned many off, was the 2nd best of the series, imo. Most people made their minds up before even playing through it. If it wasn't for the stupid sailing, it would almost be as good as Ocarina - which is why I can't wait to see what they've done with Twilight Princess... but I digress.

I remember that time when I was 15, when killing games and blood were "so cool" and seeing a booby in a movie was "awesome". But don't some of you mature?
bewbs2zm.jpg

steviep said:
I've got 2 PS2s, one of which is broken, and one of which the laser is already a piece of shit after a couple years and gives the error you all know...

I own less PS2 games than I do Gamecube games. What does that tell you?
And don't give me some derogatory comment. God of War was the last PS2 game I bought, and while it was a good game, it clearly catered to the same audience as GTA. That is, 16 year olds, and 18+ who are in actuality 16. My PS2 has been a waste of money in comparison to the fun I've gotten out of Smash Brothers, Mario Kart and yes, even Mario Party and Donkey Konga.

Though I will say this, Nintendo got a bad case of sequelitis with Mario Party, mirroring the EA philosiphy. However, I'm glad that with their latest renditions of the series, as well as their upcoming rendition they've actually started to add some innovation to the mix. Playing with the voice recognition is quite fun. That said, you can't compare "Mario 100000" and "Zelda 643543" with GTA 1 and GTA 353453. Why? Because with almost every sequel Nintendo makes, they do something that deserves a sequel. I say almost, because I for one was disappointed with Mario Sunshine. And we all know Mario Party. But when it comes to every other sequel, for the most part, rehashing, as is done on the other 2 systems so much (Halo?) is kept to a minimum.

This is why that I trust Nintendo for the most part, while the other 2 system makers (especially Sony) I refuse to buy into any hype until I play their games and see them in action. Sony even more than MS is a master of deception and advertising hype, and subquality games and "me too" software litter the PS2s library far more than anyone else's. I would rather have 300 games of which 75% of them are good, than 1500 games of which 25% of them are good.

I am not as much of a fan boy as many of you may think, I am simply stating that in terms of innovation, game quality, replayability, and most importantly, fun - Nintendo is most often #1. Yes, what i say is quite subjective, but their first party games are the reason why you have a PS2 and an XBox in the first place.

You prefer Nintendo games. Good for you. That doesn't give you the right to bash everyone who doesn't (And vice versa, "Mature" fans). Chill the hell out and realize that your tastes aren't the tastes of all. Some people just prefer a darker environment as opposed to the bright and happy worlds that Nintendo usually gives us. That doesn't make them insecure. That doesn't make them pathetic nerds who are trying to compensate for something. That makes them gamers who prefer something different than you. Drop the elitist bullshit.

By the way, you cite innovation as being one of the reasons you like Nintendo, yet three of the franchises you list as being your favorites are rife sequels (Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Mario Party. That seems a bit ironic. If you include the expansions ot Grand Theft Auto, there have been seven installments in that series. That isn't even close to comparing to all the Mario titles (Let alone the Zelda/Metroid spin-offs).

Also, you say that you prefer Nintendo because their sequels bring something to the mix. Every sequel you listed (Including Halo 2) brought something significant to the table. Halo 2 brought one of the most comprehensive and feature-filled online multiplayer modes in the console industry. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Which I didn't like much) brought a huge, wildly interactive world with next to no stops for loading.

FoxHoundOp said:
Seriously, though, if you like Nintendo, then that's cool, but don't go around acting like people are insecure and immature because they prefer more "mature" games. Some people grow out of that shit. If you haven't, that's fine; have fun playing playing Super Mario 3 for the rest of your life, but don't try to make me feel like a dumbass because I would rather pop a copy of MGS3 into my system than Donkey Kong's Jingling Balls or some shit.

~Truth

FoxhoundOp said:
The more and more I read these console vs. console conversations, the more and more I think that gamers have some kind of mental issues that keep them for thinking for themselves. If I had a dollar for every fool knocking people because they prefer not to play Nintendo games, I'd buy Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.

My favorite part about your post is that at first it seems like a "hey, different strokes for different folks," there's no need to bash anyone thread, but then you act like Nintendo fans haven't grown up yet, and then further imply that Nintendo fans like to diddle gorillas. That's classy right there.

spymonkey said:
My favorite part about your post is that at first it seems like a "hey, different strokes for different folks," there's no need to bash anyone thread, but then you act like Nintendo fans haven't grown up yet, and then further imply that Nintendo fans like to diddle gorillas. That's classy right there.
When did I say that I held a "different strokes for different folks" view? If that's what you got from it that's your problem. My message was more along the lines of "do what you do and leave me the fuck alone". I don't like being insulted by these unfair generalizations that Nintendo fans seem to make all too much nowadays.

By the way, I wasn't trying to be classy, so instead of trying to pick apart my posts so you'll feel better about yourself, actually consider what I'm saying and why I'm saying it...

No not just Nintendo fans... fans of games in general. I miss the old days of gaming. Where the M rating is not what sold it - it was the fun factor. That is still the criteria I look to today, when I purchase games. "Cool" and "dark" be damned.

^^^

So you think expanding the industry is a bad thing? Change is needed for survival. This is true for any business.

Let go of your nostalgia and realize that everyone doesn't want to play the games that you like to play. How hard is that to understand?

I like brunette women. Some guys like blondes. Some like redheads. Does that make me less of a man? By your logic, it does.

No, expanding the industry is a GOOD thing. That's EXACTLY what Nintendo is trying to do. It's not hard to understand that different tastes exist. That's an easy concept for even a monkey to grasp. It's the fact people don't choose what they like anymore, they choose what everyone else thinks is cool.

I suggest you look into Nintendo's philosiphy with their next system to see what I'm grasping at. I apologize if any of my posts contain what is almost anger, but I do my best to rationalize and am telling you what I believe. Provided that this next system comes out with a good launch, and third parties come back on board after realizing the potential, it's not hard to imagine that this will "revolution"ize things and actually make gaming a mainstream form of entertainment, enjoyed by far more people than currently do so. The DS in Japan is a small example of the philosiphy, and as such, if everything goes as planned - the stagnant gaming industry may actually go somewhere, other than "look nicer" and "more blood & boobs". Look at the PC gaming scene as an example. My logic isn't driven by insanity, as you purport that it does.

Your logic is quite flawed. You're equating the DS as being a quality piece of hardware based on sales. Remember the PS2 launch? The damned thing sold on hype alone for nine months (At which time, GT3 came out and finally gave us a game worth playing on it).

Otogi 2 and Gun Valyrie are two Xbox games that I enjoyed very much. They were both adult-oriented games and nobody else seemed to like them. That didn't make them any less good in my eyes.

The fact that many people like Mature games doesn't immediately make them trend-whoring pawns.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. I'm sure that if I were to cite sales as being indicitive of quality in the instance of games like Halo, Grand Theft Auto, or God of war, you would immediately write me off (Then follow up with a statement as to how great the DS is because it's selling well).

I'm not going to continue with your logic, as it's just as flawed. What I will say is that DS is selling well for a reason. The games. The games are fun. Most of them are an absolute blast. The same can't be said for what is currently out for the PSP. And you can say "there is this and that" on the way. But then I can say that too. Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, the next 2D mario, Metroid (all of which will be online) are on their way, and that's just a small cross-section of the killer software coming. But screw the DS for a moment, look at what Nintendo is trying to bring to the table - and then look what SCE or MS is trying to bring to the table. You tell me what's better for the industry, and how many times this same history has repeated itself.

Back