More NEC LCD woes...

Namelessme

[H]ard|Gawd
My venture into the LCD world hasn't gone so great so far. I initially purchased a used NEC 2190, it conked out... and then the replacement conked out... and although I guess I should have known better, I figured I'd get a first gen 2490 off of eBay. Everyone seems to love that model, great reviews, etc. so I purchased one off of a reseller with a 100% rating, and lots of sales.

I got it today and already ran into some problems immediately. There are several dead pixels, but that's more an annoyance than super terrible. But it has what I will describe as a 'line blotch'... a vertical line, with some blotchy smudges next to it, almost looking as if dirt is on the screen (but it isn't). It isn't clearly visible on white or black screens, but it's visible on gray or most other colors. And it runs down about 1/3rd to 1/2 the screen -- near the middle, so it's not exactly easy to ignore. I also noticed a small scratch on the screen, about 1/4-1/2 of an inch... again, not as bad as a blotchy line, but something you'd think the reseller should have mentioned.

On top of that, there strangely seems to be some image persistence going on. I noticed it while looking at yahoo, and then going to hardforums. I can then see a transparent box behind the black, with text sort of visible. After a while, that goes away. It almost looks like temporary screen burn, yet occurs when screen burn shouldn't.

Any suggestions on how to fix any of these issues? Lucky me also got a monitor with an insane amount of hours on it, so brightness isn't that great either. My 2190 (when it was working) produced a brighter and nicer image overall, and I thought it was a tad dim.

There are plenty of examples of people here getting nice monitors from eBay. Apparently, I ain't one of them.

Not sure yet. I did send a message to the seller, but no response yet. It usually takes at least a day or two to get a response.

The tricky part about returns on eBay is the fact that many sellers won't pay for return shipping, even if they ship something defective or different than what their auction states. For a monitor like this, it may be $30+ to return. And they probably won't refund the original shipping either. So I'll be out $60 for nothing.

Some sellers are more lenient and will pay shipping. I'll find out. I'd be happy for a replacement too, assuming the replacement wasn't worse than this one. They listed this one as in very nice and good condition... I'd hate to see what their avg. condition monitors look like.

Back