More Mac OS X Trojans Found

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you Mac users out there should be extra cautious as you surf the web. There are several new variants of a Trojan horse out there targeting Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 users. Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date.

Distributed as a compiled AppleScript called ASthtv05 or as an application, the Trojan allows remote access to the system and can transmit system and user passwords. SecureMac also said the Trojan is also capable of logging keystrokes and turning on file sharing.

As your market share increases so do exploits.
this is just a myth. in fact these trojans only affect Windows when installed on a Mac system and do not affect the OS X install. OS X is the most secure Operating System in the world. Think Different damn you!

- Robert (PmR)DIJ

Let me list the reasons why these dont count (as usual):

5. Macs don't have malware. The commercials don't lie!

Running random unknown scripts and executables from Limewire will hurt your computer? No way!! :eek:

Please. :rolleyes: This goes for any OS, not just Macs. Hell, I could do it on Linux or BSD if I wanted to.

Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date.

What AV? Most mac uers don't have any.

As your market share increases so do exploits.

Pretty much. It is more of exploits found/used though. Anyway yea these types of attacks can attack any system but general people who use macs are told their is nothing to worry about. Same could be said with unix/linux users though.

this is just a myth. in fact these trojans only affect Windows when installed on a Mac system and do not affect the OS X install. OS X is the most secure Operating System in the world. Think Different damn you!

- Robert (PmR)DIJ

What? Apple has barely had any market share for quite a while. The larger your audience the more time people are going to take exploiting your software. The latest exploit is ridiculous, with a single command you can do just about anything you want and doesn't even require root/administrator access.. imagine all the other holes that have yet to be discovered.

- Robert (PmR)DIJ

how much apple koolaid did you drink today? geez :rolleyes:

Let me list the reasons why these dont count (as usual):

5. Macs don't have malware. The commercials don't lie!

Why would Apple/Steve Job's lie to us? OSX is obviously vastly superior to Vista and they proved that in there commercials.

yea that hip young cool guy is someone I can relate to and he wouldnt like unlike that stuffy guy in the suit, he would sell your baby for foriegn oil then sell the oil for two more babies!

"The user must download and open the Trojan horse in order to become infected."

Isn't the the definition of a trojan to begin with? A piece of software that hides inside of another that has be brought down into the machine to infect it. Kinda like the Trojan horse?

Isn't the the definition of a trojan to begin with? A piece of software that hides inside of another that has be brought down into the machine to infect it. Kinda like the Trojan horse?

Kids these days don't read or learn about history. They spend all their time in those classes texting each other. Therefore all they know is something which you download and causes your machine to act wierd is called a Trojan. They have absolutely no clue where the term came from.

I thought Trojans were around to "protect you"...

(uhh.. wait, I guess that would be "off topic" -- different kind of trojan) :D

^^^^ I think they missed the point of your obviously sarcastic statement.
thank you for noticing the obvious sarcasm oozing out of my statements above. i do, though, run OS X 10.4.9 on my three year old Mobile Athlon (Clawhammer) 2.2GHz/nForce3 Go150 (water cooled - powered via USB) just for reasons like turning my fiance's little sister away from having her parents get her a MacBook Air this past weekend as she prepares for college. the virus myth dispelling was part of the turning but that lack of a DVD drive was the real killer :p.

- Robert (PmR)DeathInJune

how much apple koolaid did you drink today? geez :rolleyes:
Apple owns Gatorade?!?!? in that case a lot as i've had a fever this week and have consumed probably 200+ fluid ounces of such since Tuesday.

;).

thank you for noticing the obvious sarcasm oozing out of my statements above. i do, though, run OS X 10.4.9 on my three year old Mobile Athlon (Clawhammer) 2.2GHz/nForce3 Go150 (water cooled - powered via USB) just for reasons like turning my fiance's little sister away from having her parents get her a MacBook Air this past weekend as she prepares for college. the virus myth dispelling was part of the turning but that lack of a DVD drive was the real killer :p.

One would have thought that a single USB port that can't be shared if an external DVDRom (Apple Approved, of course) was plugged in, a non user replaceable battery and non upgradable memory would also be killers. But, right... Apple's market seems to be specifically for making disposable computers.

Of all of my friends that I know use a Mac, they DO have a virus scanner installed... but dismiss it as only needing it out of "courtesy" for Windows users, so they don't pass something onto them. I wonder how many of them will continue to claim that that's all it will ever be for.

One would have thought that a single USB port that can't be shared if an external DVDRom (Apple Approved, of course) was plugged in, a non user replaceable battery and non upgradable memory would also be killers. But, right... Apple's market seems to be specifically for making disposable computers.

Of all of my friends that I know use a Mac, they DO have a virus scanner installed... but dismiss it as only needing it out of "courtesy" for Windows users, so they don't pass something onto them. I wonder how many of them will continue to claim that that's all it will ever be for.
she had a complete arsenal of the "information" Apple's marketing troops have put together over the years along with what all of her MacFriends have told her during such time piled up in her head. took a few hours involving arguments like the ones you mentioned but i swear once i got to the DVD point that was the deal breaker. i did tell her, however, that i'll rig her HP up to dual Vista and Leopard.

Back