More likely to overheat with age?

mindaugas

Weaksauce
I've got an older PC, X2 4200+ 939. I have it in a Silverstone TJ02 case with an 80mm on front and 120mm on back. Thermaltake Typhoon with 120mm fan. 2 sata hard drives spaced out. All fans are working great.

After a couple hours playing WoW or any other game the PC will overheat. Sometimes its the vid card (8600GTS) and I get artifacts. Fan is running fine on the vid card.

Idel temps:
CPU: 110 F
Chipset: 120 F
Vid: 140 F
System: 115 F

Load:
CPU: 130 F
Chipset: 130 F
Vid: 150-160 F
System: 125-130 F

These seem pretty high. I have great air flow around the PC. Its on top of a table with nothing blocking in take or exhaust. If I pull the side panel off I can keep it from over heating and shut down/reboot/ or artifacts.

I have replaced the thermal grease on the CPU, replaced the fans, swapped fans around. the only way I can keep it cool now is too open my window and blow a box fan on it lol. I am not overclocking at all, everything is stock including my voltage.

I was thinking about getting a new case and heat sink but I'm worried about the video card too. What do you guys think? Is it just old?

Those CPU temps are fine. Sounds like your video card is overheating or just plain going bad. What makes you think the CPU has anything to do with this? Normally artifacting is caused by the GPU, not the CPU.

From my experience, if it is the video card, I would not waste the money on an aftermarket cooling, the same thing will just happen again later on since its not really a heat issue. Those card are "designed to run hot" and once a card starts going downhill with a working fan and no overclock, its a goner, it just will likely take a while. Still got a warranty on the GPU? If so send it back for artifacting.

no dust, and the PC also reboots/power off when it overheats which lead me to CPU. I think it is overall getting hot. I disabled the shut down when it overheats so I could see it in action and that's when I noticed the artifact. yer right, it would be vid when that happens.

Every videocard I ever owned ended up failing due to overheat issues, the fact is hot running cards will weaken over time and be prone to more frequent overheats at faster rates. I have had nothing but bad luck utilising aftermarket cooling solutions that permanantly fix the problem. I have had the best luck with simply removing the side panel off the tower and allowing the heat to escape the case as fast as possible. Also look for a videocard that offers a robust cooling package and keep it running as cool as you can.

u know, I overclocked the video card a while back and maybe went a lil too far. I think you guys r right. not a bad reason to upgrade, even a small one like a 9800 GT.

Palit offers their own custom coolers on their brand of video cards and they do the job very well...if you are not a brand name junkie you may want to have a look at what they offer. No need to spend extra cash on a cooler when they did the R&D for you.

u know, I overclocked the video card a while back and maybe went a lil too far. I think you guys r right. not a bad reason to upgrade, even a small one like a 9800 GT.

I wouldn't even say that did it. I've had a number of non-overclocked Nvidia cards gradually fail over time with the same problems. The cards works for fine pretty much for the warranty period then just start giving out :rolleyes: Usually when it happens the card is pretty much crap anyway so its no big deal.

hmm, I've never had issues with ATI. This is my first nvidia actually and my first issue with a vid card. I'm not a fanboy of either and it looks like the 9800 GT is the best bang for the buck. But 9600XT, X800, X1600 have all ran flawlessly including overclock. In fact all 3 of them have trickled down to family members and still work.

that said I'll prob still go with the 9800 lol. $130 and great reviews. if only they were cheap local, 50% markup from online at retailers here. sheesh. I want it now :(

hmm, I've never had issues with ATI. This is my first nvidia actually and my first issue with a vid card. I'm not a fanboy of either and it looks like the 9800 GT is the best bang for the buck. But 9600XT, X800, X1600 have all ran flawlessly including overclock. In fact all 3 of them have trickled down to family members and still work.

that said I'll prob still go with the 9800 lol. $130 and great reviews. if only they were cheap local, 50% markup from online at retailers here. sheesh. I want it now :(

I would be inclined to this ATI would have a better solution for things like this, however have you seen the temps on some of the stock 48x0 cards? Scorching :D

ive also got a 4200+ that runs hot. 42c idle, and it can load up to the 50's. its not too bad but i dont like it either

i do have a big heatsink, with heatpipes, and great airflow in the case, 2 80mm in, and 2 80mm out, and a fan in the side of the case.

i picked this up on a whim
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233011

im going to see if it does any better than my current setup.

id agree its not hot, but it can always be cooler eh?

it just makes me nervous when im used to temps from my old system when id idle around 30c, and load around 40c.

my older 4000+ cpu would run that cool.

My old 6800GS had temps up to 110/120c load. Yes, you're reading that correctly, it's Celsius.

It throttled, but still worked fine, even after days after days of running at those temps.

Frightening, but I was looking to replace the card at the time anyway, so didn't bother me too much. My new 8800GS gets nowhere near those temps, but it's using a VF900.

jeez, 120c. ya my 3200+ never seemed to creep out of the 90 F range, even OC'd. I was downloading some files over night with a an XP 1700+ and I threw a blanket over the PC because it was too loud. In the morning the ambient was 150 and proc 160 F, still running fine lol.

I would be inclined to this ATI would have a better solution for things like this, however have you seen the temps on some of the stock 48x0 cards? Scorching :D

May be hot, but still well within tolerances. If you want to talk about hot GPU temps, you should be mentioning the bad batches of GTX280s that ran at 100+C :eek:.

Idle

CPU: 41c (105.8 F)
Chip: 54c (129.2)
Sys: 49c (120.2)
Gfx: 56c (132.8)

ok, better temps this time, I ran a a burn in. I think CPU is fine, vid seems pretty high though. It seems like these cards run hot though.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia-drivers-overclocking-software/313370-8600gts-max-temp.html

gfx burn in:

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/#Download

then I ran super pi and prime95 at the same time to completely consume CPU on both cores at 100%. Then let it cook for a couple minutes. here's what I got. oh, and with site panel on, so normal condition. no box fan blowing on it, etc. ... and then I got bored and ran those cpu burn ins and the gpu burn in at the same time and took a poo. 5 minutes later ...

Load

CPU: 55c (131 F)
Chip: 55c (131 F)
Sys: 57c (134.6)
Gfx: 75c (167 F)

well i just put in the water cooler deal

its idling around 37/39 and i havent gotten a chance to put it under load.

i got to say a big MEH but its still cool. and quieter which is what i was going for

more to follow!

Back