More Blu-Ray questions.

Black5Lion

Limp Gawd
Yo, I'm back again. (from the thread over at: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1806510&page=2 )
Got the drive and disks and ImgBurn, burned 5 disks so far and everything is going great, except for speed. :/

I know BD-R are not as fast as HDDs, but this is insane.
Both the drive and the disks are rated for 6x and I set ImgBurn to 6x (it lists it as supported as well), but once it starts burning it never goes above ~2.5x I oggled it and all I could find is DMA or something, (my drive is the Samsung external one) but I still checked it and it's enabled.
It's not that bad, but it's not great waiting 2 hours for a single BD-R to burn :/ granted I haven't had a coaster, but I at least want to try what I paid for :<

Long story short, can anyone suggest anything I can do to increase my burning speed?

#methods I tried:
1- enable DMA
2- enable Verify not required in ImgBurn
3- set speed to 6x in ImgBurn
4- set speed to auto in ImgBurn
5- set speed to max in ImgBurn

Is it just the drive or it it my luck ? :/

The burning speed more often depends on the media than the drive. Usually media lags behind what drives are actually capable of, or it just isn't rated for the speed and it's hit or miss.

"The Blu-ray Disc specification defines 1× speed as 36 megabits (4.5 megabytes) per second."

So you want to get 216Mbps through USB2.0, steadily and reliably? Does that even work?

^^ good note on USB2!

what are you burning? Many small files or larger files?

what are you burning from, a drive that has activity, or no activity.

i don't recall what mine does but if i get enough pics together i can test out mine, think i have some 4x BDR's around.

"The Blu-ray Disc specification defines 1× speed as 36 megabits (4.5 megabytes) per second."

So you want to get 216Mbps through USB2.0, steadily and reliably? Does that even work?
If it's a usb 2 limitation it should atleast burn around 20MB/s but it hovers around 2MB/s and is slows down as it goes.
^^ good note on USB2!

what are you burning? Many small files or larger files?

what are you burning from, a drive that has activity, or no activity.

i don't recall what mine does but if i get enough pics together i can test out mine, think i have some 4x BDR's around.
Actually both some include files up to 4GB per file and as small as kBs, but mostly around the 550-600MB range.
I tried both, ended with similar results :/

The signaling speed for USB2.0 is 480Mbps, after factoring in overhead the effecitve data rate is 280Mbps, still over 216 though.

Back