• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

More AMD Price Cuts Announced

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Just three weeks after its last round of price cuts, AMD is cutting prices once again. Prices on AMD’s high end CPUs saw the most dramatic cuts with the Athlon 64 X2 5400+ dropping almost $220 in price.

The price cuts published on AMD's website today begin with the Athlon 64 X2 5600+, currently the top-end processor in the range, falling in price from US$505 to US$326, while the next highest model, the 5400+ is reduced even further from US$485 to US$267.
 
I can't believe it's only $102 for a 1.9 65nm dual core part. It loves overclocking, and that is some unbelievable value for the money.
 
I can't believe it's only $102 for a 1.9 65nm dual core part. It loves overclocking, and that is some unbelievable value for the money.

That is some great OC value. Is the next AMD chip going to be AM2 and use the existing motherboards? If so I might drop some coin a little sooner on another rig.
 
Hrm.. I wonder if there is anything worth upgrading to.. Ive got a x2 4400, 939 socket. Ive had it for a year now.. im not complaining about it, but heck if I can get a new cpu on the cheap.. perhaps I can upgrade my second box cheap.
 
That would be great if they hadn't of changed sockets on me from 939 to AM2.

Now, since I need a new MB too, I'll just go to a C2D system.

I buy with future upgradability in mind. AMD has made this VERY hard in the past few years with all their socket changes.

If it was simply a processor change, I'd be on Newegg ordering right now.
 
I hear that.. I really wish they would release some of those upper end chips in 939. Is there some sort of technical issue why they cant? or is it that they just wont.
 
I have some older 939's which would have loved these cuts :(
 
Yeah thats my problem all these new socket changes and there sounds like there will be anohter one a year away anyways so what incentive do I have with staying with AMD. With the Core 2's offering better performance right now and the fact I need to do a complete change anyways (mobo cpu and ram) what choice do I have. That being said Intel historically has been just as bad with their chipset requirements for new processors so I guess its a toss up but with the current quad cores supporting the current chipsets I would say intel is a safe choice for at least a little longer then AMD's.
 
Its a great time to go dual core now if you have not done it by now.......i'm still on a amd athlon 3000+ socket a.
 
Its a great time to go dual core now if you have not done it by now.......i'm still on a amd athlon 3000+ socket a.

i hear ya bub, im on a 2500+ socket a. So far i got most of the parts of dual core besides the processor and the videocard for core2. waiting for ati's release of their card before going bonkers.
 
Yeah thats my problem all these new socket changes and there sounds like there will be anohter one a year away anyways so what incentive do I have with staying with AMD. With the Core 2's offering better performance right now and the fact I need to do a complete change anyways (mobo cpu and ram) what choice do I have. That being said Intel historically has been just as bad with their chipset requirements for new processors so I guess its a toss up but with the current quad cores supporting the current chipsets I would say intel is a safe choice for at least a little longer then AMD's.

Won't AMD's next generation CPU's run in an AM2 board?
 
Tempting. I have an FX-55 939 single core and if there are any duals in 939 I might just be spending some cash.
 
I hear that.. I really wish they would release some of those upper end chips in 939. Is there some sort of technical issue why they cant? or is it that they just wont.

Ditto socket 754, even if only single channel capable. It must be that they simply wont.
 
AMD doesnt give a damn about the 939 users out here,we have been left hanging. :mad:

There is no good reason why they cant produce a bunch of 939 chips for us.If they did
they would not have lost a customer in me,as I am now using a Asus P5N-E SLI with
a E4300 @ 3.4 Ghz.They can price there procs lower till the cows come home,makes
no difference to me at all.Its way too little way too late...

Now they are trying to beat Intel to the proverbial punch,as they know darn well,Intel
has another big set of price cuts coming real soon.Damned if they do,damned if they
dont. :D
 
Ditto socket 754, even if only single channel capable. It must be that they simply wont.

AMD doesnt give a damn about the 939 users out here,we have been left hanging. :mad:

There is no good reason why they cant produce a bunch of 939 chips for us.If they did
they would not have lost a customer in me,as I am now using a Asus P5N-E SLI with
a E4300 @ 3.4 Ghz.They can price there procs lower till the cows come home,makes
no difference to me at all.Its way too little way too late...

Now they are trying to beat Intel to the proverbial punch,as they know darn well,Intel
has another big set of price cuts coming real soon.Damned if they do,damned if they
dont. :D

Ahem....

It's near business suicide to force your fabs to revert from making one processor to the other. They can't simply make 2 at a time. Why make something that is older and no support? They want the supply to diminish and for you to buy an AM2 proc. AM2 has virtualization and DDR2 support ON DIE. That means in order to make newer processors on 939, they'd have to up speed on 90nm s939 chips. That means, changing fab processes, pin layouts, and older more expensive silicon.

Quit crying, do you see intel making price cuts on their P4's and s478 parts?
 
Back
Top