Monthly Subscriptions for Windows 10?

I read something that these stories floating around are clickbait but who knows for sure one writer said it's just for commercial Windows 10 editions.

Just wait until Windows 10 is nothing but a remote desktop session on Microsofts server. That's what they're aiming for. All your data are belong to us!

It's happening everywhere anyway though. Businesses can't get rid of their servers fast enough. They're subscribing to O365, AWS, Azure cloud, etc. Pair that with Android and Apple's offerings, and it's all moving that way.

This was their annouced intention from it's inception, that's why they were "giving" away usage for "free". They never mention how valuable your personal usage data is though, especially to firms with extensive hashing algorythms like Alphabet (Google).

They can go fuck themselves if they ever go completely cloud. I don't want just a terminal to log into and pay a monthly based of what kind of specs I want. I like windows 10 enough as is but doing so would push a lot of people off the windows and finally into Linux.

MS has had subscription plans for enterprise customers for years. This appears to roll the OS and hardware under the same plan. For enterprise customers this is just one more way to consolidate some of the IT purchasing. Lease the device and Windows license under the same payment. Sounds good for enterprises.

What, you didn't know MS has had subscription plans for Windows for years? Maybe because it never affected you.

MS has had subscription plans for enterprise customers for years. This appears to roll the OS and hardware under the same plan. For enterprise customers this is just one more way to consolidate some of the IT purchasing. Lease the device and Windows license under the same payment. Sounds good for enterprises.

What, you didn't know MS has had subscription plans for Windows for years? Maybe because it never affected you.

I'm pretty sure the subject was consumers not enterprise here. Microsoft is probably trying to figure out how to mine all the customers data conveniently by having the OS run on 'cloud' and subscription based. Two goals achieved: Lock the customer to a perpetual billing cycle and have 24/7 access to all their private data. Win-win for MS, flat out lose for all customers. It's really sad how the majority of computer users are conditioned to Windows and are even afraid to try something else.

Both articles specifically mention that they believe this to be aimed towards enterprises, which for them, this is actually a pretty cool thing.
If you're a very short sighted enterprise. Handing your business entirely to Microsofts hands is a horribly short sighted thing to do. They're going to get even more exploited than they are already. Microsoft is like the ring in the lord of the rings.

This isn't intended for the end user. I am sure Microsoft would LOVE to deal with the idiots I talk to on a daily basis. Grandma who can't figure out what the Start button is, and wants to tell you all about what their cat is doing.

This is for enterprise customers who want better / more support options.

They can go fuck themselves if they ever go completely cloud. I don't want just a terminal to log into and pay a monthly based of what kind of specs I want. I like windows 10 enough as is but doing so would push a lot of people off the windows and finally into Linux.

If they were too move Windows 10 to a fully subscription based Cloud OS, that would be the death knell of the PC. (Consumers would not buy them anymore.) Why would they since the phones and tablets do not require a subscription. I will not argue with anyone about this, they are going to believe whatever they are going to believe.

This isn't intended for the end user. I am sure Microsoft would LOVE to deal with the idiots I talk to on a daily basis. Grandma who can't figure out what the Start button is, and wants to tell you all about what their cat is doing.

This is for enterprise customers who want better / more support options.

BBBBBuuuuuttttt....... Microsoft is coming for you Grandma! :D

They can have her lol
Heh I converted my own family to linux just for the reason. My mother drove me crazy, every two weeks I had to go to fix her Windows machine because she got infected through chain e-mail or she did something. If I tried to troubleshoot on the phone, I ruptured a vein. She gets completely in panic with computers so for example if a notification window opened on the screen that had only one button 'OK' - she wouldn't just press it. No. She had to call me, read everything that said on the notification and ask me what to do. So after some time I made an ultimatum: Next time she calls and asks me to fix her Windows I'm going to format the computer and install linux instead.

My mother was furious and fought the transition with passion. But the call came and the computer was switched to linux. The only tweak I had to do was to install silverlight support due to a local web-tv system stupidly uses it. That and a couple of hyperlinks to her web browser and she was a linux user.

Now she's been using Ubuntu for years (and most importantly my support visits have reduced to once a year to update the OS). She even asked me to install Ubuntu to her new laptop (with Windows 10 originally) which really surprised me considering how much we fought to switch the OS.

It's happening everywhere anyway though. Businesses can't get rid of their servers fast enough. They're subscribing to O365, AWS, Azure cloud, etc. Pair that with Android and Apple's offerings, and it's all moving that way.

Funny...we just buildt another datacenter, because our others are getting filled...who told you that people are getting rid of servers?

It's funny how gullible people are in general. Take the Office suite as an example - a product which has been engineered for years to deliberatly be incompatible with competing free products that perform the exact same task as Office. Yet people keep paying for Office "because the free alternatives are not 100% compatible".

Office is the scam of the century and the cloud hosted version of the O365 is abysmally bad. Keyboard input has a visible lag.

Funny...we just buildt another datacenter, because our others are getting filled...who told you that people are getting rid of servers?

Everyone! Well, except datacenters. ;) SMB's though, almost serverless. On a side note, I'm looking to relocate out of this hot hellhole and each post I run across is mentioning AWS or Azure or at least some cloud based service. It's in just about any ad I pull.

Everyone! Well, except datacenters. ;) SMB's though, almost serverless. On a side note, I'm looking to relocate out of this hot hellhole and each post I run across is mentioning AWS or Azure or at least some cloud based service. It's in just about any ad I pull.
AWS can be great if you need dynamic resources, you pay what you use. Then again if your customers require strictly geolocalized services you're out of luck.

Back